Apple Maps Launches Revamped Data Collection Website

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

I've been using Apple Maps as my default navigation source for over year now here in the Phoenix metro area after getting frustrated with Google. I've been pleased with the improvements since the initial turd of an offering by Forstall.

I'd would like to see more guidance though for upcoming turns beyond the immediate one if the distance is short between them. That way you can better prep for which lane you want to proceed into. Also, it would be nice to optionally show the rate of speed that you're moving. I switch vehicles frequently, and some them indicated above or below the actual speed, and I forget sometimes which is which.

2. dialogos macrumors member

Of course it's good! Shouldn't be like that?

I personally believe users should be able to choose what is best for them. I use iOS because I prefer it to Android but when it comes to maps I prefer Google maps or Waze. What's wrong with that?

3. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Absolutely nothing is wrong with that...I just think we all need to agree that for now, Google is in some cases WAY better than Apple when it comes to mapping outside of the US...and get over it. It's not worth even mentioning in threads like this as I'm not sure anyone disagrees with that.

I think the argument that a person prefers iOS/Apple over Android and is then being forced to utilize Apple Maps in certain applications is the only reasonable argument for serious hate on Apple Maps.

But I'm pretty sure that even that is very limited today. If something doesn't work in Maps (like transit directions in certain areas), Apple Maps automatically offers a switch to another mapping app.

I absolutely HATE the Google Maps UI on iOS and will only use it when I feel there may be an issue with a POI. Yes...I still check Google sometimes for that, but am finding that Apple is incredibly up to date. And if it isn't, I report it and it is fixed within 24-48 hours (every instance in the past 6 months for me).

4. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

The smaller the country, the easier it is to map it all up. :)

5. BXRich macrumors newbie

BXRich

Maps is the only place where I would say Google has an absolute lead over Apple. Fans of either side will argue until their blue in the face about everything else and how one is superior to the other but I think maps is the one place where the majority would agree. I tried to use Apple maps a couple of weeks ago in Manhattan - I was about 80% sure I was heading in the direction in SoHo but since it was raining I didn't want to risk turning down the wrong block and getting rained on any more than I had been...opened up Apple Maps and it just looked way off, opened up Google Maps and it reaffirmed that I was just a block in half away.

6. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I use Apple Maps almost exclusively (Waze is a back-up) for driving in Eastern France and Switzerland and they have improved quite a bit. In iOS 12, for example, they brought in lane guidance and revamped route guides (turn left, right, etc. at the top of the navigation screen). Just over the last few weeks i started seeing more “Danger” alerts at the bottom of the navigation screen before roadworks, etc., which is new. They also tend to come up with a simplest route from A to B compared to both Waze and Google Maps. Apple Maps still lack in search and POI, yet navigation-wise they are getting better and better, imo.

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Was that a POI info issue? GPS issue? I use it in Manhatten one week out of every month and haven't had an issue except for the Levi's store closing and moving. Submitted it and was fixed the next day.

edit...and yes...people (like me) will argue about it all day... ;) I just love testing the new maps and trying to find the stuff that is wrong...it's like an obsession. But then I also love submitting the corrections. If I won the lottery, I'd do it as a job for free...

8. BXRich macrumors newbie

BXRich

Couldn't really figure out the issue - I put in the location, it found it but the walking directions wanted to send me 2 or 3 blocks out of the way where as when I did the same process with Google Maps and it only had me one block and a quick turn...of course, once I opened up Apple Maps and saw where I was plotted relative to where I was going, I could easily get there without any assistance. I pulled up Google Maps just to see if it would say the same thing and if it was some wonky connection issue where I was standing...

and with you on argue a point...nothing like a nice heated debate once in a while :)

9. Edsel macrumors 6502

It hasn't changed that much. Apple seemed to focus on colorful watchbands, and antiquating their Mac Pro's. Even the iMac's are old. Apple has done a terrific marketing job overproducing overly expensive products.

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

....annnnnd back to the very helpful comments.

11. ibphd macrumors newbie

ibphd

Albuquerque, but I wouldn't call it living
    To hell with Maps, I want an Apple jet pack like that guy was wearing.

12. tennisproha macrumors 65816

I’m confused, where are the updated maps on Northern California? It looks the same in the app...

I was under the impression there would be a big reveal of the new Maps app once all the data has been collected.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

It’s all of CA now...

14. ipponrg macrumors 65816

For whatever reason in Manhattan, Apple Maps never has up to date POIs, and the GPS is always off by a little. I had a similar problem when I was down in LES and Tribeca. I think part of the flaw is the Maps app has been partly filtering off Yelps POI locations.

Even though Google Maps UI is a little clunky, it’s definitely way more accurate and useful than Apple Maps in NYC.

I think it will be a while to expect improvement, if ever. Apple typically focuses on easier cities that are more car friendly.

15. NaimNut macrumors member

NaimNut

I use Apple Maps here in Toronto. Apple Maps drains the battery less than Waze or Google Maps.
    When travelling I use the Here App as well. I download the map for the entire country or continent I’m visiting. No data or mobile reception required.

16. dialogos, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

dialogos macrumors member

Of course they have improved but as long as there's an alternative better solution why not use it? Shouldn't users use the best product available? POI is a huge drawback and Apple maps recommending only one route sometimes is another one.

Should I give a try of Apple maps every once in a while waiting for it to get better just because I prefer Apple over Google (which is the case)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    I believe most of us here say the same thing. We believe Google is better but some users prefer Apple maps because they have improved a lot. I respect that.

One of the main reasons I have Google maps as my default to go app is the POI.

Regarding reporting to Apple, I have reported only once a misspelled street name with wrong street numbering and Apple never fixed it. It's still there :) That was long time ago though.

Another issue for users who try to search for a street name in native non latin language there are lot of errors. Sometimes people have to improvise and guess how Apple named the street.

17. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Bike maps, and specifically bike directions, Apple, please! I’ve been waiting for this to appear since the original Apple Maps, and it is still missing.

I realize bike lanes/trails may not exist in Cupertino, but they are big in NYC, practically every major European city, and heck, even in San Francisco

18. DonutHands macrumors regular

DonutHands

What a mistake taking on mapping was for Apple. Some companies just do things better than others.

I suppose they are way past the point of no return and there are so many users that just accept Apple maps as the status quo. So why not at this point add the ability to set a different map provider as the default for iOS (and macOS while they are at it.)

19. tennisproha macrumors 65816

It looks the same... cars and trees are still messed up...

20. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Can you show what you are referring to??

21. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

Please read a few articles on the importance of mapping and money before making that statement.

And while Google has a large share of mapping users (by far), Apple Maps and Waze were practically even in second place...and this was with OLD Apple Maps.

Apple’s current implementation process for mapping and data is more reliable and will create a better map in the long run. They have proven time and time again that working this way ends up with them winning in the end (computers, laptops, tablets, music players, phones, etc. ). Mapping is too important to them and will be no different.

22. DonutHands macrumors regular

DonutHands

Except they are second or in all these categories, worldwide. Just like maps!

23. fathergll macrumors 65816

The sarcasm is strong with this one.

24. dialogos macrumors member

As I mentioned before I have reported only once an error in Apple maps which was never corrected. You mentioned that in the US Apple will correct everything in 24-48 errors from your experience.

I just tried to correct another error again but in order to report the problem I need to send a photo to Apple. How am I supposed to do that if I'm not at the exact place? There are some terrible mistakes with street names in Apple maps and I have no way to report them without a photo ! Where I live there are streets that share the same name and all of them have the name misspelled ! Should I start going from street to street taking photos to help Apple? !

25. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

I’ve rarely submitted a photo with my corrections. Why do you HAVE to??

It’s an option.