Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week expanded its Look Around feature in Apple Maps to several new U.S. cities, including Denver, Colorado; Detroit, Michigan; and Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

look-around-apple-maps-expansion.jpg

Look Around, which was first introduced in iOS 13, provides 3D street-level imagery in cities where it is available, and it is similar to Google's Street View.

At launch, Look Around was limited to a handful of cities, but now it is available in 22 cities and regions around the world. Apple maintains a list on its website, but Maps enthusiast Justin O'Beirne also has a more frequently updated list.

Prior to the expansion in several new U.S. cities, Look Around previously became available in Southern Canada with the debut of the redesigned maps app in the country.

Article Link: Apple Maps Look Around Feature Expands to Denver, Detroit, Miami and More

McG2k1

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
So look around is basically google street view but with a parallax effect added when you push down a street? or is there more?

Comment

HiVolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Uhh, it's in a grand total of 22 places, and that's not still considered just a handful?
I saw Apple Maps vehicles in Toronto in May 2019. It's nearly 2022, and the feature is still not available.

I think no matter how they try, they will never catch Google at this game, which is able to do what seem like yearly updates in a large city like Toronto.

It's also silly that they don't even have a browser version of Apple Maps, not usable outside of Apple devices. Doesn't help to spread awareness.

Comment

applicious84

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2020
Umm, just let me make google maps my default, please.

Interestingly, a more recent headline on this site:

It's wild because of how they force you to use their software in so many ways then say they're looking out for your best interest when they set FB defaults for privacy.

It's great they do that with FB! They should.

They should also let you have a little bit of control to use a vastly better maps app. Apple doesn't care about you (or, apparently, it's crappy maps app); it just cares about what works best for them.

Update: which is why it's so nutty that some many people are fans of a corporation

Comment

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
So look around is basically google street view but with a parallax effect added when you push down a street? or is there more?
I think the quality of the images might be higher res too. Street View is more of that omnidirectional fish-eye distortion for more image, while Look Around doesn't really bend that way.

Umm, just let me make google maps my default, please.

It's wild because of how they force you to use their software in so many ways then say they're looking out for your best interest when they set FB defaults for privacy.
So you're using Google Maps on your iPhone, but then you're saying Apple is forcing you to use Apple Maps?

• Love
Reactions: CarlJ and dreyp82
Comment

applicious84

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2020
I think the quality of the images might be higher res too. Street View is more of that omnidirectional fish-eye distortion for more image, while Look Around doesn't really bend that way.

So you're using Google Maps on your iPhone, but then you're saying Apple is forcing you to use Apple Maps?
Kinda. Like when I click an address, it wont open with Google maps. Sometimes I click too fast and it automatically takes me to Apple Maps, so I copy the address from there, then open in Google maps. It would really be so much easier if I could just make Google Maps my default. I deserve control and transparent choice of how I use apps on my phone

Comment

Ploxed

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Great seeing this being rolled out more and more. Love how clear and crisp the look around feature is.

• Love
Reactions: dreyp82
Comment

Student of Life

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
They did a great job on the Miami map. The pictures are more high res than google for sure. I’m not sure what the end goal is but they are slowly catching up. Generally i use Apple Maps, then when im on a longer trip Waze for the cop speed trap detection but I’m fully aware its run by google.

Reactions: idrewuk and dreyp82
Comment

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I saw Apple Maps vehicles in Toronto in May 2019. It's nearly 2022, and the feature is still not available.

I think no matter how they try, they will never catch Google at this game, which is able to do what seem like yearly updates in a large city like Toronto.

It's also silly that they don't even have a browser version of Apple Maps, not usable outside of Apple devices. Doesn't help to spread awareness.
The new map with a lot more detail and look around is available in Toronto. Take a look and see what you think

• Love
Reactions: dreyp82
Comment

Student of Life

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
Is this not available on the Mac? I can't find the feature on Maps in MacOS but it works on my phone.
Its right next to the 3D button on the Mac, in areas that have that feature, and if you are in the new update that came out today

Comment

johnnybeagle

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2017
I found my house in Coral Springs, FL which I guess they lumped into Fort Lauderdale here. Image is really high quality compared to Google Maps street view and I believe the drive through imagery was taken at the beginning of 2020 based on what I can tell looking around the neighborhood

Comment

dreyp82

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2018
Barbados

Hi, the feature is indeed available in Toronto as well as the new updated maps. Just zoom right in on the Toronto area until binoculars appear on the right side of the screen and then click it. It’s available for most of Canada.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.