Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has been updated with indoor maps of at least 18 shopping malls in several Canadian cities and suburbs, including Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Montréal, Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Dieppe, New Brunswick.

indoor-maps-canada-malls.jpg

Nearly all of the shopping malls are Cadillac Fairview properties, with the sole exception being Square One in Mississauga:Galeries D'Anjou in Montréal
Carrefour Laval in Laval
Promenades St-Bruno in Saint-Bruno
Fairview Pointe Claire in Pointe-Claire
Rideau Centre in Ottawa
Markville in Markham
Shops at Don Mills in Toronto
Fairview Mall in Toronto
Sherway Gardens in Toronto
Square One in Mississauga
Lime Ridge in Hamilton
Fairview Park in Kitchener
Masonville Place in London
Polo Park in Winnipeg
Chinook Centre in Calgary
Market Mall in Calgary
Richmond Centre in Richmond
Champlain Place in Dieppe, New BrunswickApple has yet to add indoor maps for the Eaton Centre in Toronto and the Pacific Centre in Vancouver, two of the biggest Cadillac Fairview malls. Two other notable exclusions are Yorkdale in Toronto and the Centre Eaton de Montréal.

Apple launched indoor maps at select airports and shopping malls in 2017, with a list of locations available on its iOS Feature Availability page. To view an indoor map, open the Apple Maps app on an iPhone or iPad running iOS 11 or later, search for a supported location, zoom in, and tap on "Look Inside" if necessary.

Indoor maps at shopping malls make it easier to find the exact location of stores, restaurants, and restrooms on each floor, in addition to guest services, parking, escalators, stairs, and so forth. Or, swipe up on the place card to browse by category, such as clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty, food, and drinks.

Likewise, at airports, Apple Maps users can zoom in to view terminals, boarding gates, security checkpoints, airline check-in desks, baggage claim carousels, information kiosks, restrooms, stores, restaurants, parking, and more.

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Features Indoor Maps at 18 Shopping Malls in Canada

Reactions: jjm3

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I was really rooting for Apple on this one, but Google has wayyyyyyyy more locations, better info, and a better UI. Apple announced this a year ago, and they don’t even have the international airport in my state yet.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Unfortunately, opening Apple Maps is the equivalent of opening Windows Explorer.

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
May 29, 2018
Vienna
i really do like apple maps. however, it‘s too little and too late.
i mean, how come it takes apple forever to implement these features - see airport maps, malls, public transportation, etc.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I feel this feature is a little too late as Malls across the US are closing at unprecedented rates and or already closed.

Apple should focus on inside airports and sports arenas, I think it would be a more valuable tool.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Apple has also added indoor airport maps for Boston Logan, Dallas Ft. Worth, Dallas Love, Halifax, and Helsinki.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Will knowing the lay of the malls so exactly reduce spillover shopping? I see this reducing mall sales. Get in. Get what you came for. Get out. The mall thrives on you wandering and buying stuff needlessly.

Reactions: m0sher

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Great, of course, but it would be so much neater if they could instead accelerate the new maps rollout worldwide. Every decent mall has its own mapping system on display anyway.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
I’m pretty sure every mall in the world has had a directory map display inside since the beginning of time. I’d rather use my battery on something useful instead. How much time and money is Apple wasting on this nonsense?!

Reactions: one more

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Apple maps was so hilariously bad in Canada when it first came out that I've stuck with Google maps and never gave Apple maps another shot. I'm sure it's better now, but I've never had a good reason to give it another chance (and maps of CF Malls won't win me over).
[doublepost=1534364506][/doublepost]
CANADIA HAS MALLS?!
Haha. It's our version of getting out of the house during the winter months.

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
Apple: Always into future stuff... Like introducing a Radio 1 channel.

Apple Maps has been updated with indoor maps of at least 18 shopping malls in several Canadian cities and suburbs, including Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Montréal, Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Dieppe, New Brunswick.

indoor-maps-canada-malls.jpg

Nearly all of the shopping malls are Cadillac Fairview properties, with the sole exception being Square One in Mississauga:Galeries D'Anjou in Montréal
Carrefour Laval in Laval
Promenades St-Bruno in Saint-Bruno
Fairview Pointe Claire in Pointe-Claire
Rideau Centre in Ottawa
Markville in Markham
Shops at Don Mills in Toronto
Fairview Mall in Toronto
Sherway Gardens in Toronto
Square One in Mississauga
Lime Ridge in Hamilton
Fairview Park in Kitchener
Masonville Place in London
Polo Park in Winnipeg
Chinook Centre in Calgary
Market Mall in Calgary
Richmond Centre in Richmond
Champlain Place in Dieppe, New BrunswickApple has yet to add indoor maps for the Eaton Centre in Toronto and the Pacific Centre in Vancouver, two of the biggest Cadillac Fairview malls. Two other notable exclusions are Yorkdale in Toronto and the Centre Eaton de Montréal.

Apple launched indoor maps at select airports and shopping malls in 2017, with a list of locations available on its iOS Feature Availability page. To view an indoor map, open the Apple Maps app on an iPhone or iPad running iOS 11 or later, search for a supported location, zoom in, and tap on "Look Inside" if necessary.

Indoor maps at shopping malls make it easier to find the exact location of stores, restaurants, and restrooms on each floor, in addition to guest services, parking, escalators, stairs, and so forth. Or, swipe up on the place card to browse by category, such as clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty, food, and drinks.

Likewise, at airports, Apple Maps users can zoom in to view terminals, boarding gates, security checkpoints, airline check-in desks, baggage claim carousels, information kiosks, restrooms, stores, restaurants, parking, and more.

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Features Indoor Maps at 18 Shopping Malls in Canada
:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.