Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has recently been updated with all-new traffic data in Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, and San Marino, providing users with real-time updates about vehicular traffic in four more European countries. As usual, highly congested areas will have orange or red lines along the roads to indicate that drivers may face delays.

malta-apple-maps-traffic.jpg

Apple Maps traffic data is available in over 30 other countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, China, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, South Africa, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Greece, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, Denmark, Poland, Switzerland, and other European countries.

Meanwhile, Apple Maps transit directions are now available in São Paulo, Brazil.

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Provides Traffic Data in Four More European Countries

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I wish Apple Maps included exit numbers. Why they took that away I just don't know. I have to use Google when I need that info.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I always find the traffic less acurate than google's. if i know there will be traffic, i switch to google. which is unfortunate because i like apple maps better.

waitandwait

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2016
Singapore
Apple Maps is one notable failure for Apple.. No transit, bus, traffic, street view, terrain maps for 95% of the world... sigh..

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I find iOS 10 to be a huge improvement. Shows a lot of traffic info while driving.

But the algorithm is bad: Apple maps definitely does not show the fastest route. Waze is easily 20% faster to reach a destination as Apple does not seem to know all the shortcuts or reroute frequently.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I find iOS 10 to be a huge improvement. Shows a lot of traffic info while driving.

But the algorithm is bad: Apple maps definitely does not show the fastest route. Waze is easily 20% faster to reach a destination as Apple does not seem to know all the shortcuts or reroute frequently.

Now, that's a matter of philosophy. I abandoned Waze because it re-routed continuously. I like to know where I'm going, and I don't care if I miss the best route by 2 minutes. Waze was constantly telling me to pull off main roads into side streets with very little warning that it was changing on me. I agree if there is an accident or construction, but this is literally to save 1 minute overall. I hate back-seat drivers barking orders at me-- it's disconcerting and dangerous.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Now, that's a matter of philosophy. I abandoned Waze because it re-routed continuously. I like to know where I'm going, and I don't care if I miss the best route by 2 minutes. Waze was constantly telling me to pull off main roads into side streets with very little warning that it was changing on me. I agree if there is an accident or construction, but this is literally to save 1 minute overall. I hate back-seat drivers barking orders at me-- it's disconcerting and dangerous.

You are absolutely right. Apple seems to prefer the main roads and does not send people into side road or suggest the horrible thing to take an exit on the highway only to immediate go on it again in order to pass a traffic jam. That's really disgusting and egotistical.

But that being said, the other day Apple Maps suggested to take a detour of 15 minutes while there was a direct main road it refused to suggest. But when I did take that road, my arrival time immediately jumped 15 minutes ahead so it was not a question of outdated traffic info or something else. Weird.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
4 countries sure sounds good, until you realise that they have barely any public transport and their population all together is roughly about 1/10 of Paris...
[doublepost=1475164270][/doublepost]To think of it, they should have added Vatican! One more country to count in - but no work to be done at all, cause it doesn't have any public transport at all! :p

Reactions: Mactendo

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

Having used both Apple Maps and Waze, I actually prefer the Map's algorithm, as it tends to give you a smoother and less stressful ride. The arrival estimates of the AM are also more realistic in my experience (80-90 mile / 120-130 km drives).

A funny bit is that I was testing the Google Maps the other day on the route I know and it did not show the road closed for repairs for over a month as such, suggesting I just drive through it, while AM & Waze were spot on.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
It sure looks prettier in iOS 10, but it's still lacking the red/amber/green status that Google provide on the ETA. This is a great indicator to general traffic on the route. Yes, Apple shows the traffic on the route, but it's still missing the overall traffic impact indication.

In the UK, searching for specific locations is still sub-optimal. It loves to give default addresses in the US for bars, restaurants etc. It really needs to get smarter.

But once a route is set, it works great. And I love that it remembers previous locations, unlike Google (if not logged in).

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
4 countries sure sounds good, until you realise that they have barely any public transport and their population all together is roughly about 1/10 of Paris...
Especially since they didn't add public transport, but just traffic data.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Apple Maps is one notable failure for Apple.. No transit, bus, traffic, street view, terrain maps for 95% of the world... sigh..
I wholeheartedly agree. Their satellite imaging is stale, street data is old and missing many new developments. Google Maps runs circles around it.

Apple Maps was the first application I deleted from my phone, thanks to IOS 10.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I wholeheartedly agree. Their satellite imaging is stale, street data is old and missing many new developments. Google Maps runs circles around it.

Apple Maps was the first application I deleted from my phone, thanks to IOS 10.

In Belgium it's definitely on par with the Google and Waze and I quite like it. I wonder why so many streets are still missing in some countries. As Apple licenses its road data from Tomtom, does this mean Tom Tom GPS devices are also old and incomplete?

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
In Belgium it's definitely on par with the Google and Waze and I quite like it. I wonder why so many streets are still missing in some countries. As Apple licenses its road data from Tomtom, does this mean Tom Tom GPS devices are also old and incomplete?
You may have a point there. I checked the map of my TomTom app and sure enough TomTom is behind times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.