Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps transit directions are now available in St. Louis, Missouri and several metropolitan areas in Virginia, including Richmond and the Hampton Roads region of Virginia Beach--Norfolk--Newport News.

st-louis-apple-maps-800x398.jpg

By selecting the Transit tab in Apple Maps on iPhone, iPad, or Mac, users can now access MetroBus bus routes and MetroLink train routes in the St. Louis area, GRTC bus routes in the Richmond area, and HRT bus, train, and trolley routes in the Virginia Beach--Norfolk--Newport News area, including arrival and departure times.

norfolk-apple-maps-800x398.jpg

Apple Maps has aggressively expanded its transit-supported cities over the past two months to include Tucson, Arizona; Albuquerque, New Mexico; Orlando, Florida; and Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville in South Carolina.

When the feature launched in 2015, it was initially limited to Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and around 300 cities in China. Since then, Apple has expanded the feature to dozens of additional cities around the world.

A list of cities with transit support in Apple Maps can be found on the iOS Feature Availability page on Apple's website, although it has yet to be updated to reflect these latest additions in Missouri and Virginia.

(Thanks, Bernd and Ram!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Supports Transit in St. Louis and Virginia Areas

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It has been my understanding for years that people rarely ride the MetroLink anyway, as it’s too dangerous.

That is not really true. Crime is an issue, I don't know if I'd want to be on the Metrolink as it goes through East St. Louis at night, but during commuting hours, and before/after Cardinals and Blues games, it is perfectly safe from what I hear from those who ride it. Safety in numbers I suppose. And of course, only the stories of bad things happening make it on the news. They're not going to report on the thousands of people who took it to and from work this morning and encountered no issues.

I don't ride it regularly just because it doesn't go anywhere near my house or my office.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
That is not really true. Crime is an issue, I don't know if I'd want to be on the Metrolink as it goes through East St. Louis at night, but during commuting hours, and before/after Cardinals and Blues games, it is perfectly safe from what I hear from those who ride it. Safety in numbers I suppose. And of course, only the stories of bad things happening make it on the news. They're not going to report on the thousands of people who took it to and from work this morning and encountered no issues.

I don't ride it regularly just because it doesn't go anywhere near my house or my office.

That is mostly what I’m referring to. My entire family lives in St.louis and on the Illinois side as well (I left at 21 when it was just being built). They have friends who are police officers who won’t even ride it at night, and tell others not to as well. It’s unfortunate that more hasn’t been done to curb the crime.

kytiger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
St. Louis Metrolink is also very limited on where it goes. The residents of St. Louis county keep voting down expansion as they don't want it coming into their neighborhoods.

St. Louis is in real danger of an unrecoverable fall behind other major cities. The government structure there is archaic and highly inefficient with all the small municipalities and the division between city and county government. Government there spends more time infighting than competing with other major cities. As someone who grew up there, it's very disappointing that they can't get their stuff together there.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
St. Louis Metrolink is also very limited on where it goes. The residents of St. Louis county keep voting down expansion as they don't want it coming into their neighborhoods.

St. Louis is in real danger of an unrecoverable fall behind other major cities. The government structure there is archaic and highly inefficient with all the small municipalities and the division between city and county government. Government there spends more time infighting than competing with other major cities. As someone who grew up there, it's very disappointing that they can't get their stuff together there.
Exactly. I remember when it was being built that the residents of Clayton opposed a stop there for those exact reasons, and that was a long time ago (1998ish).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Side notes: oh that notch.

Btw, it is good to see public system info being available, in particular with Apple Watch since google map is not available.

I hope this update is a bit more accurate, cause Sydney transition info is less accurate and has fewer options compared to google maps suggestions.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
That is mostly what I’m referring to. My entire family lives in St.louis and on the Illinois side as well (I left at 21 when it was just being built). They have friends who are police officers who won’t even ride it at night, and tell others not to as well. It’s unfortunate that more hasn’t been done to curb the crime.

Stats of crime on public transit is often blown out of proportion to scare the public away from supporting expansion. Yes there is always the risk of being the victim of crime in any public setting, however the number of highway deaths vs violent crimes on the St. Louis Metro makes driving to work every day far more risky. I ride the MetroLink frequently and encourage others to do the same.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Stats of crime on public transit is often blown out of proportion to scare the public away from supporting expansion. Yes there is always the risk of being the victim of crime in any public setting, however the number of highway deaths vs violent crimes on the St. Louis Metro makes driving to work every day far more risky. I ride the MetroLink frequently and encourage others to do the same.
And there is a voice from someone who still lives there. Good to hear. By the way, stay off of 64/40 during rush hour...I used to commute to Chesterfield everyday from Collinsville (Il)...miserable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.