Apple Maps on desktop and No data usage?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by thinkadam, Jun 18, 2012.

1. thinkadam macrumors regular

2 questions..

Most important...can apple maps be run without data? like tom tom app?
    This will be important when roaming, so we can use just GPS...

and does anyone think Apple will release a desktop version? Its already made, so why not make available to Macs?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Nope, you need an internet connection.

I don't think Apple will make a desktop version. I suspect you will just have to go to http://maps.apple.com since that is what is linked to when you share a new Apple map location. No need for a separate desktop version like Google Earth.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

You can plan your route without data and Siri should take you there, but nothing else.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

True, voice direction continue without any map data. That would work in a pinch. I hope they at least choose to cache the route. You would not be able to re-route, but it would be a start.

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I think/hope Apple will make an OS X App for Apple Maps. It would be nice to enter a destination on my Mac and it be sent by iCloud to my devices. One less thing to do once you are in the car. Also you can "look around" and more easily identify places on your Mac than on your iPhone.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I stand corrected, I can see that situation.

7. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I think the point above, though, was that you should be able to do all of that through a web interface rather than a separate app...much like you can do with Google Maps right now in Safari without opening Google Earth.

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I think we will be darn lucky to get an App. I don't see (hope I'm wrong) Apple opening up and using a web browser that can be used by all.

EDIT: Just thought that this would be a problem for Windows users (as if they don't have enough problems :D ). Maybe Apple will offer a web based Maps. They could use it somehow as an advertising tool (iPhone ads unless you log in) for iOS devices.

9. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Pretty simple (I assume) to make it part of the iCloud web services so that only folks with an iCloud account can use it.

10. thinkadam thread starter macrumors regular

I like the idea of planning the route on your desktop at home and then just pressing go in the car... all sync via icloud

Save fave routes etc.

11. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

My modus operandi is to use Google Earth and find my distention. Then find the point on the street were it turns into the parking lot. Use the long/lat of this point to put in Navigon. Using addresses can be very inaccurate and often the entrance can be on another street from the address. Also I like to "look around" so when I get there if will be familiar.

I would like to use Apple Maps this way. I don't think it has long/lat input in iOS but as long as you can drop a pin at the exact point I want to go to and iCloud to my iPhone I'll be happy.

Will it be Apple Maps or just Maps? It looks like Apple is calling it just Maps but that seems to generic.