Apple Maps POIs ARE Getting Updated (add your findings here)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by redman042, Oct 4, 2012.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

My town (Folsom, CA) was in reasonably good shape at launch, but a few POIs were incorrectly located, due to confusion between East Bidwell Street and Bidwell Street, which are actually two different streets in my town. I have submitted corrections two different times since I installed iOS 6. The POIs were a Chipotle restaurant and a 76 gas station.

This morning I checked the map and they have been moved to their correct locations.

So this is evidence that Apple is making updates. Obviously we'd all like to see things happen faster, but at least something is happening.

I'm assuming that when users submit updates, they either wait for multiple people to make the same update or for a staff person to verify the correction, before implementing it. Also some of these updates probably go through Yelp, since Yelp appears to be providing many of the POIs.

Can others report on updates you've seen? Let's keep this thread just to discovered updates, not griping about maps, since there's already PLENTY of threads on that.

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

None in my town have been corrected yet. I feel sorry for those living in Gronant. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349367374.418209.jpg

3. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Is that Atlantis? ;)

4. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Don't worry, the people were relocated before the floodgates were opened.

5. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

Can we restrict this thread to just updates that HAVE happened?

If we start talking about what's missing, the thread will get long FAST. :p

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Agree. Comes here to see what is changed. Plenty of threads to discuss other things.

7. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I submitted a change last week for a Walmart that was non existent and just noticed it has been corrected.

8. topdrawer macrumors regular

my office was added yesterday and also a sandwich shop across the street too. but this morning the bar next door to me office showed up for the first but now it is gone and it doesn't show up on search.

edit: it does show up in search. but the icon doesn't show up anymore. how is it selecting what shows up and what doesn't? i noticed in some locations they'll be a one shop and next time i look it'll show me a different in the same spot.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It was probably a futuristic POI considering how fast they pop up around here. Thankfully we're running out of land.

10. D-Back macrumors member

D-Back

None of the reports that I have made (starting since the beta period) have been fixed...

11. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Just checked now, a few corrections I submitted have been updated.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I actually made a few POI corrections yesterday, but I've noticed that a Starbucks coffee location near me that I frequent, which wasn't listed on day 1 of iOS 6, is now listed.

Not sure though how to add a POI that isn't listed at all.

13. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I'd use this option.

Attached Files:

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Where do you bring that up from?

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

There.

Attached Files:

16. psalazarc macrumors member

This isn't a POI thing, but Maps ARE improving!
    I live in Concepción, Chile; a fairly unimportant town for Apple. Yesterday I checked my University Campus and the satellite imagery was about 2 years old. It missed a number of buildings, roads, etc. Google on the other hand is about a year old.

Now I just checked on my iPhone and the whole town has new images, displaying even a new mall that was opened about a month ago. It's actually more up-to-date than Google's. Except the POI. Those are just.. Let's not even start. But still, im quite impressed.

Weirdly though, my iPad shows the old satellite images.

17. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I appreciate Apple's effort to fix this and good use of public error reporting, but they should have really released this as a beta feature in Maps with the Google Maps option still available. Apple Maps is fine where I live, but for others, it's just unfair that they are paying for what is a work-in-progress.

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

So...started checking some of the complaints in the maps thread...Rutts Hut in NJ that was incorrectly in the wrong town (correct road and address) was corrected to the correct address in the correct town, but the pin is still slightly off. Really due to the map not having the address in the correct place. Certainly close enough to find it, but I corrected the pin anyway. Going to check others.

Appears they are either seriously checking the reports...or trying to fix the ones on MacRumors first...;)

19. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

That would be clever :)

One of my changes have been updated too, although maybe it was just coincidence, anyway, one more POI that is more up to date as Googles.

Between updating the POI info and the POI text on the map there was one day, probably because the maps are cached.

20. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have the same question. Apple should have ALL icons show up at least at the closest zoom level.

21. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Apple Maps can search addresses now !!! "315 E 15th St, NY" :D. I really like the improvements.

Attached Files:

• map.png
      map.png
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
  22. matttye macrumors 601

When you actually tap that it becomes apparent that that's for reporting a poi that no longer exists.

23. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I've submitted the change to the Washington Monument's pin since GM. No change yet.

Attached Files:

24. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Please, people.. could we stick with things getting updated. We can assume the ones not mentioned are not.

25. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

bah, I just wanted to start hourly updates on all those that haven't been updated :(