Apple Maps POIs ARE Getting Updated (add your findings here)

redman042

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
My town (Folsom, CA) was in reasonably good shape at launch, but a few POIs were incorrectly located, due to confusion between East Bidwell Street and Bidwell Street, which are actually two different streets in my town. I have submitted corrections two different times since I installed iOS 6. The POIs were a Chipotle restaurant and a 76 gas station.

This morning I checked the map and they have been moved to their correct locations.

So this is evidence that Apple is making updates. Obviously we'd all like to see things happen faster, but at least something is happening.

I'm assuming that when users submit updates, they either wait for multiple people to make the same update or for a staff person to verify the correction, before implementing it. Also some of these updates probably go through Yelp, since Yelp appears to be providing many of the POIs.

Can others report on updates you've seen? Let's keep this thread just to discovered updates, not griping about maps, since there's already PLENTY of threads on that.

redman042

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Can we restrict this thread to just updates that HAVE happened?

If we start talking about what's missing, the thread will get long FAST. :p

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Can we restrict this thread to just updates that HAVE happened?

If we start talking about what's missing, the thread will get long FAST. :p
Agree. Comes here to see what is changed. Plenty of threads to discuss other things.

Comment

topdrawer

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
my office was added yesterday and also a sandwich shop across the street too. but this morning the bar next door to me office showed up for the first but now it is gone and it doesn't show up on search.

edit: it does show up in search. but the icon doesn't show up anymore. how is it selecting what shows up and what doesn't? i noticed in some locations they'll be a one shop and next time i look it'll show me a different in the same spot.

Comment

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted

I submitted a change last week for a Walmart that was non existent and just noticed it has been corrected.
It was probably a futuristic POI considering how fast they pop up around here. Thankfully we're running out of land.

Comment

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
None of the reports that I have made (starting since the beta period) have been fixed...

Comment

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I actually made a few POI corrections yesterday, but I've noticed that a Starbucks coffee location near me that I frequent, which wasn't listed on day 1 of iOS 6, is now listed.

Not sure though how to add a POI that isn't listed at all.

Comment

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I actually made a few POI corrections yesterday, but I've noticed that a Starbucks coffee location near me that I frequent, which wasn't listed on day 1 of iOS 6, is now listed.

Not sure though how to add a POI that isn't listed at all.
I'd use this option.

Attachments

Comment

psalazarc

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Chile
This isn't a POI thing, but Maps ARE improving!
I live in Concepción, Chile; a fairly unimportant town for Apple. Yesterday I checked my University Campus and the satellite imagery was about 2 years old. It missed a number of buildings, roads, etc. Google on the other hand is about a year old.

Now I just checked on my iPhone and the whole town has new images, displaying even a new mall that was opened about a month ago. It's actually more up-to-date than Google's. Except the POI. Those are just.. Let's not even start. But still, im quite impressed.

Weirdly though, my iPad shows the old satellite images.

Comment

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I appreciate Apple's effort to fix this and good use of public error reporting, but they should have really released this as a beta feature in Maps with the Google Maps option still available. Apple Maps is fine where I live, but for others, it's just unfair that they are paying for what is a work-in-progress.

Comment

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
So...started checking some of the complaints in the maps thread...Rutts Hut in NJ that was incorrectly in the wrong town (correct road and address) was corrected to the correct address in the correct town, but the pin is still slightly off. Really due to the map not having the address in the correct place. Certainly close enough to find it, but I corrected the pin anyway. Going to check others.

Appears they are either seriously checking the reports...or trying to fix the ones on MacRumors first...;)

Comment

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Appears they are either seriously checking the reports...or trying to fix the ones on MacRumors first...;)
That would be clever :)

One of my changes have been updated too, although maybe it was just coincidence, anyway, one more POI that is more up to date as Googles.

Between updating the POI info and the POI text on the map there was one day, probably because the maps are cached.

Comment

redman042

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
it does show up in search. but the icon doesn't show up anymore. how is it selecting what shows up and what doesn't? i noticed in some locations they'll be a one shop and next time i look it'll show me a different in the same spot.
I have the same question. Apple should have ALL icons show up at least at the closest zoom level.

Comment

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I've submitted the change to the Washington Monument's pin since GM. No change yet.

Attachments

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Please, people.. could we stick with things getting updated. We can assume the ones not mentioned are not.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.