Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolarCanoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Is anyone else getting frustrated with Apple Maps? It has taken me to the wrong location far too many times. Google maps has never failed me and I want us as iPhone users to pressure Apple into allowing us to choose which map app runs by default when you tap on an address

They should allow us to choose not only our default map app, but browser as well

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I gave up on Apple maps shortly after it came out. I tried it again a couple months ago and went back to Google maps after Apple maps told me to drive down the railroad tracks.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Is anyone else getting frustrated with Apple Maps? It has taken me to the wrong location far too many times. Google maps has never failed me and I want us as iPhone users to pressure Apple into allowing us to choose which map app runs by default when you tap on an address

They should allow us to choose not only our default map app, but browser as well

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I just found out 2 days ago when I went to wrong apartment building I had to check with Google Map I had to walk back to the right apartment. One thing I noticed on Apple Map it says "Approximate Location" that means Apple Map was not sure if it is the right place. Oh well.
I have done with the feedback so many times. Apple have a long way to correct their mistakes.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
nah i have to drive for a living to patients houses and have used apple maps sometimes and its nearly always taken me to the wrong end of the street or behind the house etc google maps I have found are 99% spot on

Reactions: ANTAWNM26

Bill Cardwell

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2016
UK

Also tried it at first but so very inaccurate I quickly gave up. Around here in Northern Ireland roads run into the sea, and coastlines are drawn as straight lines with angles. I reported faults years ago but they have never been corrected.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I honestly think people are making **** up about Apple Maps. I've been using it since it came out, in Virginia, North Carolina, DC, South Carolina, Florida... I've never been told to drive down train tracks. I can get to the exact house and the exact driveway of any address I type in. So when I read threads like this, I have to raise the ******** flag.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Also tried it at first but so very inaccurate I quickly gave up. Around here in Northern Ireland roads run into the sea, and coastlines are drawn as straight lines with angles. I reported faults years ago but they have never been corrected.
Hah, funny! I've driven from Newtownabbey to Bushmills a few times and still can't help but recall the area around Larne in Apple Maps - the peninsula south of there does look a bit "squared-off"!.

But, don't blame Apple on this one, or most of the geo-mapping "errors" like that. Blame TomTom - look for yourself: routes.tomtom.com - and zoom in on the area between Larne and Whitehead, and you'll see for yourself! I also had a TomTom GO unit, and it's displayed maps looked as crappy as the display on my GO or Benz and Forester (still using old Teleatlas discs, which TomTom sucked up a few years ago...). I'm surmising that Apple will get around to fixing this sometime soon as I'm seeing new data in Apple Maps, starting about a week ago, like new roadways and businesses. MS is up to the same as well maybe due to the sale of Nokia Maps (HERE) to M-B/Audi/VW, compare their old maps.bing.com portal to their upcoming https://www.bing.com/mapspreview portal - I've seen Bing- and Apple-branded vehicles all over the PNW for months now, even in rural areas... Cheers!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I honestly think people are making **** up about Apple Maps. I've been using it since it came out, in Virginia, North Carolina, DC, South Carolina, Florida... I've never been told to drive down train tracks. I can get to the exact house and the exact driveway of any address I type in. So when I read threads like this, I have to raise the ******** flag.
When I had to pick something up from someone and Apple Maps took me off a major road through a bunch of back streets to try to get me to the complex I needed, while when I finally turned to Google Maps after circling a bunch of steers I saw that I just had to stay on the major road for another 100 feet and would have been able to turn into a complex that I needed using a driveway, I moved off of using Apple Maps. Sure, it's an anecdotal experience, but for me that was enough. If I encounter something similar with Google Maps, which I just might, even though I haven't yet, I'll consider changing again.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Google Maps once told me drive off the highway even though there was no exit.

My insurance company did not like the result of that trip.

Bill Cardwell

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2016
UK
Not used to being accused of making things up! Take a look for yourself. This was reported about 3 years back and remains the same. And this is only one example. Conclusion: Apple doesn't care.
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.20.41.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.21.11.png

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod

I wish I could agree with you, but I am one of the people who has a problem with Apple Maps. The problem is my own home address. My address is absolutely wrong - a good quarter mile off. I have repeatedly filed correction reports with Apple, and have been utterly ignored.

It might be understandable if I lived in Lower Slobbovia, but I live on Cape Cod, about halfway between the Canal and Provincetown, in a development that's been here for over 30 years.

I've been a member of this site for a dozen years and my posts reflect my general satisfaction, not to say delight, with Apple products. If you must raise the B.S. flag, please do so in my front yard. If you can find it.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I won't accuse anyone of making up problems with Apple Maps -- all mapping apps will have occasional problems. I've had incorrect directions from every GPS device I've ever used at one point in time.

It appears there are more complaints about Apple maps, but in my experience it is accurate the vast majority of the time. Not quite as good as Google Maps, but pretty darn good for me. Close enough that the convenience of being the default app outweighs the occasional error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.