Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The redesigned version of the Maps app that Apple has been rolling out worldwide since 2019 is now being tested in Taiwan, according to Apple Maps expert Justin O'Beirne. The refreshed look is not available to all Apple Maps users as of yet, and Apple has not officially announced it.

taiwan_maps.jpg

With the updated design, landmarks and buildings are shown in 3D, and green spaces, parks, trees, roads, and other areas are displayed in more detail and with more accuracy.

Apple's revamped map experience also provides iPhone, iPad, and Mac users with better navigation, turn-by-turn walking directions with augmented reality, and in general, a much more detailed and immersive Maps interface.

This design began rolling out in September 2018 in Northern California, and as of 2019, it was available across the United States. Apple has since expanded it to multiple other countries, most recently adding Finland, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovenia.

O'Beirne expects the new Apple Maps design to be officially live in Taiwan in June.

Update: O'Beirne has updated his article to note that the new maps are also in testing for Hong Kong and Slovakia.

Article Link: Apple Maps Redesign Now Rolling Out in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Slovakia

Last edited:

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Great to hear they are rolling out the new map to Taiwan.

How about its neighbour Hong Kong, in which the data collection had been done sometime in 2021.

While apple staffs are busy with stacking up the new map data, please spare some time to add one fix which is common and useful.

Please add an option in Map app setting to allow language different from the system setting. This option is available for almost all apps!

The current option for switching on off English labels could not help. The display Lang for navigation and nearby attractions is still sticking to the system Lang setting!

Last edited:

Blue Nova

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2021
As long as the new map has the capability to hide the widget on the left when navigating, it gets in the way, recently it was improved a bit by sliding it down, but it needs to disappear and reappear.
Especially when you are on an iPhone or an iPad mini.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

How about its neighbour Hing Kong, in which the data collection had been done sometime in 2021.

While apple staffs are busy with stacking up the new map data, please spare some time to add one fix which is common and useful.

Please add an option in Map app setting to allow language different from the system setting. This option is available for almost all apps!

The option for switching on off English labels could not help. The display Lang for navigation and nearby attractions is still sticking to the system Lang setting!

"Please add an option in Map app setting to allow language different from the system setting. This option is available for almost all apps!"

I believe you would have far greater success having that happen if you were to send your request, along with supporting reasons, directly to Craig Federighi, VP of Software Engineering at Apple. Your request will go nowhere posting it on a tech forum.

Reactions: Alex Cai

alankemsley

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
As long as the new map has the capability to hide the widget on the left when navigating, it gets in the way, recently it was improved a bit by sliding it down, but it needs to disappear and reappear.
Especially when you are on an iPhone or an iPad mini.

Rotate your phone to vertical.

👍

Havoc035

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2021
I am sure there is an incredible amount of effort required to pull maps off, but 4.5 years to “roll out” a new design?

The new design is not just changing some colors around. They’ve added a ton of new details which requires gathering and verifying data from all around the world while complying with local rules. I can imagine that takes time.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

How about its neighbour Hing Kong, in which the data collection had been done sometime in 2021.

The option for switching on off English labels could not help. The display Lang for navigation and nearby attractions is still sticking to the system Lang setting!
Apple Maps is so bad in Hong Kong that it isn’t even funny anymore. It’s just.. rubbish and left abandoned.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Lazos11

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2023
I have the new maps as well. Apple is also testing Hong Kong, and to my complete surprise, Slovakia, too (A country Apple hasn't confirmed to have surveyed before).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have the new maps as well. Apple is also testing Hong Kong, and to my complete surprise, Slovakia, too (A country Apple hasn't confirmed to have surveyed before).
I wish the testing can complete sooner. The old map is so bad that any unfinished version of the new maps will be better than it for miles 😂

Reactions: sorgo †

Lazos11

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2023
I wish the testing can complete sooner. The old map is so bad that any unfinished version of the new maps will be better than it for miles 😂
The new maps definitely have at least some issues, but of course, there's a night-and-day difference between the old and new ones.

Reactions: haruhiko

rishiomedia

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
Do you know if they also improved public transportation like buses and MRT with the new updates to the Taiwan maps?

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
"Please add an option in Map app setting to allow language different from the system setting. This option is available for almost all apps!"

I believe you would have far greater success having that happen if you were to send your request, along with supporting reasons, directly to Craig Federighi, VP of Software Engineering at Apple. Your request will go nowhere posting it on a tech forum.
thought there were apple spies to spot any bugs/requests reported in major forums or by KOLs, ;-)

if you know how to write to Craig, pls let me know.

Last edited:

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Apple Maps is so bad in Hong Kong that it isn’t even funny anymore. It’s just.. rubbish and left abandoned.

To give apple some credits, Apple Maps Look Around, if available for one area, works better than Google's street view. also, Apple Map's satellite view for some area, provides higher resolution views than Google's.

i tried to be loyal to Apple Maps and have been awaiting Apple to make Look Around available for HK.

however, i lately found Apple Map includes in-app ads, which is a NO NO NO. given the higher price of Apple devices, i was given to understand i paid the cost for not receiving in-app ads in Apple's native apps.

Reactions: haruhiko

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
The new maps definitely have at least some issues, but of course, there's a night-and-day difference between the old and new ones.
how do you know they are testing the new map for HK? does it include "Look Around" and "Flyover"?

btw, i found the saved guides and reported reviews were all lost under my account name after i upgraded the IOS to 16.4.1. do you guys have the same issues? it is normal?

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
The new design is not just changing some colors around. They’ve added a ton of new details which requires gathering and verifying data from all around the world while complying with local rules. I can imagine that takes time.
I totally get what you are saying, but the technological advances that take place in a 5 year period can be incredible. Apple is not a startup, yet it’s as if their team is moving state to state to get this completed. By the time they’ve finished, competitors could have leapfrogged them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.