Apple Maps supposedly getting addresses from E-mail

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Armen, Nov 13, 2013.

?

Do you Care that Apple Maps picks up addresses in your e-mails?

1. Nah, that's ok. Actually its pretty convenient

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. What?!!?! OMG Apple is scanning my E-mails how DARE they!

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. I'd like an option to turn that off please.

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Armen, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Would you care if Apple scanned your e-mails for addresses and then made those addresses available in the directions section of Apple Maps?

I'm not saying this feature exists because only 1 person has reported it but WOULD you care if it did without Apple telling us about it?

2. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I thought the phone just parsed any text that's displayed and if it looks like it is a phone number, date or address, it makes them clickable. Not sure that's all that nefarious.

Same exact thing happens if you type an address in Notepad. Close and open it (get out of edit mode) and it is a clickable link.

3. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

In my tests, it only works on my iPad (address shown in email automatically shows up in Maps search box when clicked). iPhone doesn't do it and I still have to click on the address in the email to open up the location in Maps.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is kind of like asking "what if Facebook shares info with another part of Facebook?"

What I care about is different companies sharing data across each other. Like if Google gives info to Facebook or something.

But if both Youtube and Google+ are both signed into my Google account?
    Or Facebook and Facebook Messenger are both signed into my Facebook account?
    Or Apple Calendar, Apple Maps, and Apple Mail are all signed into my iCloud account?

None of that stuff is a problem. Why should it be?

6. Rigby macrumors 601

No, it really isn't. Maps doesn't just pick up addresses from iCloud email, but also e.g. from my corporate email account. And our corporate policy explicitly forbids uploading any company information to iCloud or other public clouds, so a clear separation is important for me. Right now it seems that the addresses are not shared with Apple's servers unless you actually tap on them, but this is just a thin line and could change anytime if they decide to expand iCloud sharing for Maps beyond just favorites.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, that is different.

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Still doesn't matter...it has nothing to do with servers. iOS 7 just recognizes that the info on the page/in the email is an address. It then synchs that with the search field in Maps.

Nothing goes out of your device unless YOU ask for directions based on that address. And even then, do you think Apple is saving all of your address searches on its servers for some reason? Useless data.