Apple Maps, The Two Extremes

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Futhark, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

When using Apple Maps around big cities the quality and detail in the 3D images can be mind blowing as seen here around the Eiffel Tower in Paris
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371315728.667587.jpg

However! This isn't the case for everywhere, below is a 3D picture of the area where I live in Ireland and wow it is poor! If you live in an area with awful quality images post them here so we can have a laugh and a giggle :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371315924.016225.jpg

2. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Could be because its beta 1? :rolleyes:

3. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

News flash. Shocking. Certainly worthy of reporting in a dedicated post. Maps are more detailed in major population centers than in rural, international areas. The world now knows. You've saved us all.

4. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

This isn't an iOS 7 issue nor even an Apple Maps issue, even Google Maps is awful in this area where I live. I had to start the thread somewhere so chose iOS 7 as that's the iOS I'm using at the minute #

----------

Ok read the full report !!! This is a "just for fun" post not trying to point out the map failings

5. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

Whatever. Your first post - in an Apple forum - tries to make the case that Apple Maps is inconsistent (which is what the title of this thread clearly states). Then you post that it's not an an iOS or Apple issue at all, because Google maps are just as bad in the same spot.
    So - what, exactly, is the point? All maps have inherent strengths and weaknesses? Ya, thanks for finally pointing that out. We didn't know. :rolleyes:

6. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Please report any bugs or problems to the official Apple developer bug report page instead of posting it here for everyone to 'giggle' at. This hardly deserves any giggle. Whats so funny about a awful quality image? :confused:

Perhaps I'm too serious, but I really do feel there is absolutely nothing to laugh at. Honestly.

7. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yeah I've reported it when it first came out and rather than being annoyed at it now I just get on with it :) hoping to see a post of someone even worse off than me lol ;-)

8. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I do understand your meaning behind your thread :) . I mean no harm too. Glad that you reported the bug to Apple. I hope a fix is on its way. ;)

9. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

There is obviously a level of priority for large metro areas and more people to contribute data to make it better.

I wouldn't expect amazing flyover data in the middle of the Arizona desert as opposed to Phoenix. I'm not sure what is surprising about that?

10. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yeah I totally agree but look at the difference I have here less than half a mile down the road lol it's still not great but a hell of a lot better :-D
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371318309.456342.jpg

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I wonder if this is more of an issue with TomTom's data set? I noticed that the new Maps app makes it very clear that the data is from TomTom in the sheet that comes up to choose maps/satellite/hybrid data.

12. viperGTS macrumors 65816

No, everyone said this last year. Try again. :rolleyes:

13. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

I know my area isn't mapped out well on my TomTom sat nav and the maps are identical in the Apple & Google versions too so that explains that part. Even google maps image changes exactly same place as the apple maps but its better quality slightly

14. shandyman Suspended

Actually, your 2 pictures are 2 different modes. The Paris one is flyover (thus the buildings icon), the Ireland one is 3D, basically just the normal map laid over the 3D terrain.

15. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

What's the point of this thread? :confused:

Satellite image quality is just due to... well... satellite image quality availability. It doesn't have anything to do with iOS 7, and isn't even a problem exclusive to Apple Maps. So.......... ?

16. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I think he was joking...

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I grew up in Greystones that that looks about right to me. The lack of details are due to a combination of weather and a Guinness haze. :D

18. scottish macrumors 6502a

Jokes are usually funny.

19. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Well actually last year it seemed like a lot of people didn't know. They pointed out flaws in Apple's Maps and made the biggest deal out of them while (falsely) claiming no such error's could be found in Google's Maps.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I personally find it interesting that supposedly Apple is not dodging taxes, but instead Apple Ireland is paying Apple to do research etc. And yet, the quality of Maps and the number of Siri features in Europe is limited at best....

21. leon44 macrumors 6502

leon44

Dude don't destroy the enthusiasm, it's sad to be so cynical. I'd rather these forums had more people like this thread starter and less of this defensive unfriendly attitude

22. Zcott macrumors 68020

Sure that's what you get for living in Ballymena hi ;-)