Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A free Business Connect tool announced by Apple today allows businesses to customize their location card in the Maps app with a brand logo, images, and other key information, such as special promotions or seasonal menu items at a restaurant. Businesses can also highlight various actions, such as ordering groceries via Instacart, making a dinner reservation via OpenTable, booking a hotel at Booking.com, and more.

Apple-Maps-Food-Tickets-and-Reservations.jpg

Apple says these new capabilities are available to businesses in the U.S. starting today, and will be available to businesses globally in the coming months, so it will take some time for businesses to update their information. Businesses can also customize the way key information appears across the Messages app, Wallet app, and Siri interface.

Once a business has logged in to Business Connect with a new or existing Apple ID and Apple has verified the business, they can claim their location(s) and begin updating and personalizing their place card using the self-service website, free of charge.

"We created Business Connect to provide Apple users around the world with the most accurate information for places to eat, shop, travel, and more," said Apple's services chief Eddy Cue. "Apple Business Connect gives every business owner the tools they need to connect with customers more directly, and take more control over the way billions of people see and engage with their products and services every day."

More information is available on the Apple Business Connect website.

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Allows Businesses to Customize Their Listings

Last edited:

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I like the concept, but I suppose I'll need to see more about how it's implemented long term.

The idea of being able to look up a place on the Maps app, click the order button, and be able to order something entirely in-app and pay with Apple Pay without having to bother with a third party app, service or barebones online ordering interface... is very nice.

I work around a lot of small businesses, so having more of them partake of this feature to better streamline lunch time would be awesome.

Zakn

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2016
France
A free Business Connect tool announced by Apple today

Like always, if the service is free, you are the product. A new way for Apple to make some revenue by selling ads and getting paid to recommend businesses.

I won't use it, but I don't like the direction Apple is taking. If I wanted ads & my data sold, I would have gotten an Android for half the price of an iPhone.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Like always, if the service is free, you are the product. A new way for Apple to make some revenue by selling ads and getting paid to recommend businesses.

I won't use it, but I don't like the direction Apple is taking. If I wanted ads & my data sold, I would have gotten an Android for half the price of an iPhone.
Your data is processed whichever device you're using. Apple does not monetize it according to their statement, that's all, but I'm sure the apps installed on your iPhone share data within themselves to personalise ads without involving Apple in the business model.

Also the free business tool mentioned is the tool for the service providers to integrate Apple Ecosystem - ie it lets companies manage their data from one source they control rather than fragmented data on the web. It's OK to lay down the tinfoil hat.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
While it's good to see more functionality added, people should avoid using apps to order food. Order directly from the business to make sure 100% of the money goes to them.
To be completely honest, I would if most businesses had a convenient way to order online and pay without hassle, including with Apple Pay.

If the alternative to using an app is calling them or paying cash, it's just not going to happen.

bmpwe

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2006
I'd be ok with ads in maps personally. If someone wants to tell me about an offer thats gonna get me to pick them for lunch, then I'd welcome that.
Yeah, that actually sounds nice. What I sure as hell don’t want is to open the maps app looking for a gas station and have 20 pins dropped everywhere telling me where all my local Burger Kings are.

contextual and based upon what I’ve already indicated interest in is a good ad.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
To be completely honest, I would if most businesses had a convenient way to order online and pay without hassle, including with Apple Pay.

If the alternative to using an app is calling them or paying cash, it's just not going to happen.
I agree. I like the 2% back as opposed to 1% back using my Apple Card. It's all about user convenience and I'm good with that.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I wish Apple would put their resources into making their map information more accurate instead. I find myself using Google Maps more and more, because Apple Maps show business addresses in the wrong locations. They need to do much better.

In my experience lately it’s best to check both. Google has been suggesting weird roundabout routes lately where Apple’s have made more sense. But sometimes Apple is wrong about the actual location.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
While it's good to see more functionality added, people should avoid using apps to order food. Order directly from the business to make sure 100% of the money goes to them.

Seems like this would drive more business directly to the business’s location. Most of the businesses that use or have apps do get most of the money. It’s things like doordash that should be avoided for several reasons.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Agree, at least for food. Whenever I go to a restaurant's website to order, I seem to be sent to a third-party to display the menu, let me choose what I want, and pay. I've ordered by phone before, but only from places where I knew exactly what I wanted. But most of the time, I need to see what's available to decide.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
As long as Apple is playing catch up with Google, why haven’t they incorporated offline maps? This seems like such a no brainer.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’m ok if clicking on a restaurant or store tells me more about that place. If this is designed to be a replacement for apps like Starbucks or Chipotle then that seems like overreach to me.

As I‘d like with most new features, give me an off switch.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yeah, that actually sounds nice. What I sure as hell don’t want is to open the maps app looking for a gas station and have 20 pins dropped everywhere telling me where all my local Burger Kings are.

contextual and based upon what I’ve already indicated interest in is a good ad.
And the other thing I hate that will most likely happen is looking up some local place, but someone who paid for placement will overpower them

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I'd be ok with ads in maps personally. If someone wants to tell me about an offer thats gonna get me to pick them for lunch, then I'd welcome that.
You'll be okay with the ads until one day you're using Maps to navigate to a destination and along your route you get a constant barrage of ads popping up telling you about special offers.

Guess you've forgotten what it was like a little over a decade ago with pop-up browser ads and before ad blockers made the internet usable again. Ads in Maps can easily get abused.

ads.png

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

And what's up with not being able to send a message or email for support. Had an issue with a Best Buy order, and neither them nor FedEx had a way to email or message. Only calls or chats. That is the only good thing to me for Twitter. It's like a chat but closer to email since you don't have to be present or lose the whole thread. That's why I don't like Apple Card Support. Try to chat on a break or lunch but the wait time is insane, so by the time the next break comes they terminated the chat. Why can't I just continue later. At least if it's a new agent, they can still read everything, so I don't have to explain for the second third....... time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.