Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has been updated with transit data in Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville, enabling navigation and directions with public transportation in South Carolina's three largest metropolitan areas.

apple-maps-transit-south-carolina-800x754.jpg

By selecting the Transit tab in Apple Maps on iPhone, iPad, or Mac, users can now access bus routes from The COMET in Columbia, CARTA in Charleston, and Greenlink Transit in Greenville. These local bus routes complement existing support for Amtrak train service in South Carolina added to Apple Maps in late 2016.

When the Apple Maps transit feature launched in 2015, it was limited to Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and around 300 cities in China. Since then, Apple has expanded the feature to dozens of additional cities around the world.

Google Maps has also supported navigation via public transportation for several years now, including in Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville. One advantage of Apple Maps is that it lists departure times for bus routes in each city, whereas Google Maps doesn't have timetables available in every location.

In related news, Apple Maps lane guidance on iPhone and CarPlay recently expanded to Austria, South Africa, and Switzerland, in addition to existing support in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

(Thanks, Ram!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Transit Directions Now Available in Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville Areas of South Carolina

Reactions: jjm3

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
As usual, the blog post refers to Apple Maps transit as rolling out to "cities," when Apple's approach is to entire regions. Indeed there are over a thousand cities that have the feature. The other thing that the article glosses over is that the reason Apple is rolling them out slowly is that Apple is spending huge resources and time to customize each transit region for a great customer experience, such as timetables. People ask about this all the time as Apple could simply "turn on" all the cities/regions at once, as Google did by just importing the local transit companies data. Of course, Google got a lot of complaints about accuracy, usability, etc., so Apple has taken on a decidedly different approach. Here's a great article that explains what Apple is doing and why it's a decidedly better approach, even if it is taking longer.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/07/why-apples-transit-maps-are-rolling-out-so-slowly

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
What's up my fellow South Carolinians!

Charleston has a bus system? o_O
It's the CARTA, isn't it?
[doublepost=1519840722][/doublepost]
You might change your mind about that after you use it for a while. This app is downright dangerous.
There's nothing wrong with Apple Maps in most places, and public transport is actually one of the places it shines. Don't be ridiculous.

cuwickliffe

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
This is good news if you use public transportation but I know here in Greenville (I live here so I can vouch) he busses run so infrequently and require you to walk miles to get to a bus stop, it’s not reliable if you’d like to use them on a daily basis to get to and from work.

Once when I thought about using it, there was one stop in the morning, one in the evening at my closest stop. Miss the morning bus? You’re working from home. Miss the evening bus? Sleeping in the office, chief.

Also here there still exists a stigma that poor people are the only ones riding the bus. Except for the trolley downtown, you’re not going to find the Augusta Road-types on Greenlink anytime soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.