Apple Maps - Turn by Turn in Europe?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Nikos, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Does anyone know if Apple maps turn by turn navigation works in Europe, specifically Greece? If not, any app recommendations? Thanks!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Works fine in the UK and Ireland.

3. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Appears to work. 35 hour drive from London to Athens. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345722701.449152.jpg

4. Nioxic macrumors regular

5. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    uhhh.... how does it pull off that whole body of water thing? Does it use ferry/swimming directions? (unless I'm being an ignorant American, not knowing about some giant bridge...)

Your whole post may be in gest, but I'll go ahead and ask my next statement at risk of letting the whole joke go past me. But just because it shows the map doesn't necessarily mean it gives turn-by-turn directions in all those countries, right?

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

A tunnel ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel

8. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

9. Furifo macrumors 6502

Guys - I have a question and instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd post it in this relevant one.

I'm planning on using Apple Maps occasionally - a few times a week for short journeys and for a 150 mile journey around once every fortnight.

I live in the UK and I'm on a 1GB data plan and I was wondering how much data the turn-by-turn navigation/maps uses. Does the app pre-download maps when you're at home + connected to wifi or does the app fetch the maps via your data connection as you drive along?

If the map and directions data is fetched as you go along, wouldn't this be a problem for some users? As well as being on a limited data plan, Three's coverage is a bit sketchy on certain parts of the motorway. While it wouldn't be catastrophic if I lost signal on the motorway as the signs are pretty clear anyway, I'd still rather have access to turn-by-turn navigation.

As was mentioned before, you can use the Channel Tunnel as well as catching a very frequent ferry service from Dover (England) -> Calais (France) although usually the Tunnel is a bit faster. I'm not entirely sure which method(s) the maps app mentions, though!

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

The route information is cached when you program the route. So if you suddenly lose data connection it will continue speaking directions to you for the remainder of the journey, however, you will lose the map on the screen until you restore the data connection.

11. Furifo macrumors 6502

Thanks for clearing that up. Also, I'd be really grateful if you could roughly estimate how much data it uses.

12. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It gave a full list of turns but you can't get a driving view unless you actually drive it. Shame there's no simulation option.

I discovered it only works properly if you plan a route from 'current location'.

13. wharzhee, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

wharzhee macrumors 6502

You may see the map, but there may be no turn-by-turn [voice-navigated feature]

Try to activate it by pressing the start button[top right], and if Siri talks then you know there is turn-by-turn. Else, there isnt any.

14. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

doesnt really prove its turn by turn nav
    we got that in NZ, but sure as hell dont have turn by turn let.

its a siri/maps issue

15. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

Turn-By-Turn works fine in Belgium. My iPhone 4S is set in Dutch (Flemish) and in beta 1/2 the text on screen was Dutch and Siri spoke the directions in English since she's not available in Dutch.
    In Beta 3 the voice became a Dutch male and in Beta 4 it became a female voice.
    Siri herself is still in English (American).

So I assume they're working on a Dutch Siri and switched it from male to female, which I really like ;-)

16. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

Great question - anyone know?