Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with iOS 14.5, Apple Maps gained the ability for users in the United States to report incidents, such as accidents, speed checks, hazards, and more. Now, the feature has been expanded to Apple Maps users in the Netherlands.

apple-maps-report-incident-red.jpg

According to iCultre, Apple has expanded the feature for Apple Maps users in the Netherlands, and this expansion follows the addition of other features for Apple Maps in the country such as speed limits.
When users report an incident along their route, Apple uses that information to help inform other users and ensure that it's taking accidents, hazards, and other events into account when calculating the best route. The feature is available on iPhones running iOS 14.5 and later.

Article Link: Apple Maps Users in the Netherlands Can Now Report Traffic Incidents

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithBN

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2016
Wherever
Absolutely ridiculous that Apple added the 'Speed Check' feature. This is supposed to improve the safety of the roads by fining drivers that put others at risk on purpose. Apple has completely lost its moral compass, not specifically with this feature, but in general. On the one hand, they want to protect children with mass surveillance, on the other hand, they are making our roads less secure by thwarting police surveillance. I feel this is what Steve was talking about in 2010: changing the core values and letting it slide as they get bigger and get more influence.

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Absolutely ridiculous that Apple added the 'Speed Check' feature. This is supposed to improve the safety of the roads by fining drivers that put others at risk on purpose. Apple has completely lost its moral compass, not specifically with this feature, but in general. On the one hand, they want to protect children with mass surveillance, on the other hand, they are making our roads less secure by thwarting police surveillance. I feel this is what Steve was talking about in 2010: changing the core values and letting it slide as they get bigger and get more influence.
That does protect people, just like Waze does. It makes people slow down. Brilliant move by Apple. So far in US, it does not make a difference, as I have not seen anything on Apple Maps yet. Continue to Waze.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Every navigation app do that, while I understand your point, this is applicable to every navigation app ever.
Also the point is to make road safer, most users will keep attention and drive slower.
PS: there is no mass surveillance in a has match, it not not photos scan.

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Sorry officer, I crashed into the car in front because I was reporting an issue I just passed to Apple. I was under the impression their distractions were allowed.

PS. This info they are requesting is to keep estimated journey times / directions accurate, nothing to do with safety.

Station Grey

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
The point of speed traps is to act as a deterrent against speeding. Therefore, the more warning the better.

In reality, the police tend to hide speed traps and/or keep them secret, but that just proves that they're for revenue raising instead of safety.

Either way, forewarning is good for everyone.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I agree, but I also think the value of a speed check is in deterrence, not just penalizing people who are speeding.

There are plenty of intersections here in NYC that will show up as having red light cameras or speed cameras. It's a warning to a speeding driver that if they don't slow down they'll get a ticket in the mail. So they (probably) slow down or yield to the red light as they should. Isn't that the whole point?

Reactions: JEY

Station Grey

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
I really don't get it why Apple has not rolled this out to other countries that already have updated Apple Maps like Canada????
Then you clearly don't work in product management :)

Why release all at once when you can release one at a time and test/fix accordingly?

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2016
Wherever
That does protect people, just like Waze does. It makes people slow down. Brilliant move by Apple. So far in US, it does not make a difference, as I have not seen anything on Apple Maps yet. Continue to Waze.

People slow down at the part where the check happens. Then, after the check, they accelerate. If no app warned them, they would have been fined and corrected, causing them to slow down the next ride if you'd fined them enough times.

Do people even know these apps or some of their features are forbidden by law in some countries? It's for a good reason.

KeithBN

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous that Apple added the 'Speed Check' feature. This is supposed to improve the safety of the roads
For someone who purports to be in favour of road safety, you seem remarkably opposed to a feature which increased road safety.

Curious!

With this feature enabled, drivers are warned that there is a speed trap ahead.
Now, bear in mind, these are placed in areas where speed is a significant contributing factor to accidents. Therefore it is in everyone's interest for people to observe (potentially reduced) speed limits in that area.
So, by warning drivers of the speed trap, they encourage those drivers to.... SLOW DOWN!
Which is exactly what is wanted.

Yet for some reason, rather than cause drivers to reduce their speed, you would rather the carry on speeding and pay a fee for speeding later - how exactly is that safer than having them slow down?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I've always found it strange that these features are legal. It encourages you to interact with your display while you are driving. Maybe it becomes second nature once you do it often, but I found it distracting when trying to report stuff with Waze.

Reactions: Hessel89

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
In Edmonton, photo radar vehicles operated by the city are required now to have big flags on them, have their vehicles painted bright colours and also be labelled that they are a traffic safety/photo radar vehicle. They are literally designed for drivers to notice they are there and slow down before they get a ticket.

I would not consider that strategy to be "thwarting police surveillance."

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I really don't get it why Apple has not rolled this out to other countries that already have updated Apple Maps like Canada????
Yeah, it would be nice if us Canadians would get this. Particularly since Google Maps' reporting features aren't compatible with CarPlay.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Surprising move. The Netherlands is typically in the 9th wave to get new Maps features, some 5-7 years after they were introduced in the US.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
People down in the nether regions are so lucky!

I want to use Apple Maps here in Canada but it’s just not as good as Google right now.
I find Apple Maps in Canada to be equivalent to Google Maps now in terms of road accuracy, given Apple literally drove the entire country two years ago to upgrade our country's maps. I used to loathe using Apple Maps in Canada (Apple Maps literally tried to kill me once my asking me to make right turn into a road that didn't exist where I would have been hit by a train) but now it's my default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.