Apple Maps Vehicles to Begin Surveying Croatia and Portugal

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Maps vehicles will begin surveying Croatia and Portugal for the first time in a few weeks from now, according to Apple's updated list of locations.

[​IMG]

In Croatia, the Apple Maps vehicles will be in Split-Dalmatia County and Sibenik-Knin County beginning November 20. The vehicles will begin surveying the Alentejo region of Portugal starting December 4.

Since 2015, Apple has been driving vehicles around the world to collect data for Apple Maps. The vehicles have surveyed over 35 states in the United States, in addition to parts of France, Ireland, Italy, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.

Apple said it will blur faces and license plates on collected images prior to publication, suggesting that it could be working on adding a Street View feature to Apple Maps, similar to what Google Maps has offered for several years.

When Apple's fleet of vans first hit the streets, speculation arose about the vehicles serving as the basis of an Apple Car. But those rumors quieted down after the vans were later labeled with Apple Maps decals.

Some industry observers still believe the vans are at least partially related to Apple's autonomous driving project, but the evidence is inconclusive.

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles to Begin Surveying Croatia and Portugal

2. SoApple macrumors regular

Unfourtunately, Google Maps/Waze are years ahead of Apple in this area.

3. texasstar1981 macrumors regular

So Apple maps will achieve 69% accuracy vs currently 66% compared to google maps? Sorry - too little too late .. Apple maps completely suck compared to google maps or an innovative driving app like Waze

4. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

You don’t even know what apple is doing with these vans

5. texasstar1981 macrumors regular

No. I don’t. But years later google maps still runs circles around Apple maps. So yeah - I’m sure this time it’ll be a game changer ...

6. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

Google maps is slightly better than Apple maps. Don’t outright lie and make up statistics buddy.

7. texasstar1981 macrumors regular

I own everything from Apple Watch over Mac mini , iPad Pro , iPhone X and Apple TV - needless to say I like everything Apple. But Apple maps has me burned too often to even consider ... calling it “slightly behind” Google maps is stretching the definition of “slightly”

8. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

I would agree with you. But since iOS 11 it added lane guidance, indoor maps, faster routes, and great transit here in DC.

Overall the look and feel is better than google maps. I haven’t even installed it on my iPhone X. The only thing that’s missing is bicycle directions w/ routes!

9. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

Google was collecting real world map data 15 to 20 years before before anybody thought of doing that. Well, there was Yahoo maps and MapQuest, but I don't seem to hear much about them these days. MapQuest does have an app in the App Store. Does Yahoo maps even still exist?

Apple maps has improved by leaps and bounds as far as I can tell. Many times, if Apple maps has something wrong, Google maps has the same mistake.

One thing I will give Google: a few years ago in Houston, a new soccer stadium was built. Google had it labeled on their map before ground was ever broken. Real world was out-of-date maybe?

10. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

11. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

You guys are arguing over something that is subjective so neither of you is right.

In Toronto, Apple Maps has been far more reliable for me than Google for years. But in New York, Apple Maps is often terrible.

Google has burned me plenty of times and has sent me around the city on some weird route making me late. Maps isn’t a perfect science and neither Google nor Apple get it right in all markets and 100% of the time. Your perspective depends on which city you use maps in.

12. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

If you don't recall, Google would not bring true turn by turn directions to the iPhone out of fear of the competitive advantage it would give Apple, practically forcing Apple's hand to bring their own solution and then subsequently releasing a competing app. Lets not pretend like Google is somehow the good guy here.

Yes, Google maps is certainly more thorough in some areas, but it is no reason for Apple to give up. Try to think of the bigger picture as it relates to future autonomous driving, etc. It will continue to evolve and get better.

13. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

This.

And: by their very nature, maps must be continually updated, so any advantage a player has may be erased in the long run by throwing enough resources at the problem.

14. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Até que enfim! :)
    That's about time! :)

15. WalterTizzano macrumors 6502

WalterTizzano

My experience is very different. I much prefer using Apple Maps and I don’t see any fundamental issues with it. I’m happy Apple is improving it even further and I don’t think I am going to switch to Google Maps anytime soon

16. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

I lost count of the times any one of my gps Maps, any of them, have made me dash around in confused circles in an industrial business park a block away from my actual destination! That’s just incredibly shockingly lousy service when you consider the incredible fact that, one day messing around with Google Earth, I zoomed in on a small Pacific island nobody would ever give two craps about, down a street hardly anyone would care to walk down unless they live there or have to deliver mail there, and saw my Aunt’s house and my awful Aunt herself, with her face blurred out! But I’d recognize her lumpy butt anywhere!

I was also shocked and impressed to see an Apple Maps van exit the parking lot of my kids old elementary school, which is a rural school out in the middle of nowhere, behind a whole lot of nothing down the street from even more nothing anyone would care to see. People ride horses around it. So, Apple is getting pretty damned serious about mapping the USA.

Sigh. But I know the next time I have to locate some gym for some kid’s birthday party, or some doctor’s office when we are running late for our appointment, any of these amazing state of the art GPS services is still going to stick me in some generic office park five turns and two blocks from where I’m actually supposed to be. :rolleyes:

So, good luck to Croatia and Portugal! At least you will know where your office parks are! :p

17. S G macrumors member

It is ironic that international locations are added for Apple mapping, and yet, any search of a street name without a full zip code ends up failing in my experience compared to Google Maps. I just tried a random French address: 15 rue des Ecoles. Google Maps returned several possible choices and if you don't select any and just press enter, it will default to the street in Paris, the most likely option. Apple Maps first gives you several options, none of which are in Paris, and if you just press enter for the best choice, you end up somewhere in Larchmont NY with no relation whatsoever to the name searched. This happens to me constantly, even for local landmarks or addresses. (PS: I am located in the US).

18. bart4u macrumors member

H
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2017 ---
    First of all Apple needs to fix the U.S. maps first. Just updated my software on my IPhone and twice Apple Maps sent me in the wrong direction to where I wanted to go in Los Angeles and once in Detroit. It did not even know the difference between Telegraph Road and Old Telegraph Road which are two different streets. In Los Angeles it put me on the 101 in the wrong direction and another time it directed me to a new route that was a big traffic jam and took me 40 min longer. There were no red lines indicating heavy traffic. I am never going to use it again. The old one was better than the new update. I now using Google and Waze. Apple get your act together first before trying other countries.

19. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

--- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2017 ---
    Hopefully you mentin that to Apple with the Repirt an Issue tab...

When I search, get a random street in Goleta, California!

20. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I am sorry, but I have to laugh. You were in the USA, typed in a street address in Paris without specifying that it was in Paris; and furthermore, typed in the French version of "School Street", which must exist in every town in France, Quebec, Haiti, and every other French-speaking locale? And that was your test? If I were designing a search algorithm, unless it was spying on your prior behavior and deduced somehow you were thinking of Paris, I would assume you just mis-typed or mis-selected a choice. I agree, returning an address in Larchmont NY (unless you live near there) was probably not a good response; the optimal response would be to return the polite version of "try again, dude". It is unreasonable, in fact wrong, to assume you are asking about an address that is not local to you, unless you have already established that you are searching in a non-locale context.

21. Mainyehc, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

Mainyehc macrumors 6502a

Mainyehc

About. Effing. Time.

Apple Maps has worked for me, but I live in Lisbon; I don't know who they acquired their data from, but it's good enough for directions.

Business and POI data, on the other hand, is abysmal, as is contextual search; it's pretty much a given that unless you type in an address exactly right, Apple Maps will send you to some random village across the country or even in Brazil. More often than not I make the search in Google Maps, then fetch the coordinates and put them into Apple Maps just for directions.

As for public transport and bike routes, well, those are non-existent. Which is a damn shame, seeing we have decent public transport networks and are finally building more and more of the latter.

Not cool, man, not cool. If you don't know enough about European tax policies and evasion schemes, please refrain from making assumptions or cracking stupid jokes. Portuguese people happen to be the victims of precisely that kind of scheme (namely, many of our biggest companies, including the huge distribution and retail juggernaut Jerónimo Martins, set up their headquarters in other EU countries like the Netherlands to evade taxes). We are the ones being screwed here, and not the other way around.

So, yes, the Netherlands and Ireland (and not smaller, periphery countries like Portugal or Croatia), are some of the worst offenders when it comes to enabling tax evasion, both on an international and European scale. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Sandwich

22. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Very well put Mainyehc, I concur and second with everything you brilliantly told.

I use Apple's Maps only as an integrator in my device's echo system, after researching the information I need in Google's Maps. Since I leave in much smaller city (Braga), the problems, namely the lack of information, are more prominent. Apple is improving, no doubt, but still has a veeeery long path ahead.

Regarding tax evasion, is vital for everyone to understand that it's a global problem. No one is safe from it and therefore, measures must be carried out forward. Apple proclaims that it's the largest tax payer in the world. What Apple fails to say is that it probably is the most lucrative in the world, but, most importantly, it fails to explain the income/tax ratio, which, compared to regular people and other companies, may be far below, as it has been in the Irish case. More important in being that greatest tax payer, is paying what is rightfully due, just like everyone else. This is not just a matter of law, but a question of justice and ethics, so that little people and companies - that make the wealth of big companies like Apple (which is far from being the sole with "business philosophy") - don't have pay taxes for a wealth they never received - namely those owed by these companies - and use their money to enjoy and improve their lives, including spending some of it in these companies.

23. S G macrumors member

My point was that Google Maps returned the correct address without issue. I quite frequently look for a point of interest that is not in my local area, and Google will nearly always guess it right, while Apple mostly misses entirely...