Apple Maps Vehicles to Survey France, Italy and Sweden in August

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 27, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced that its fleet of vehicles collecting street-level mapping data in multiple countries will begin surveying France and Sweden throughout August. The vehicles will be driving through the Malmö and Stockholm metropolitan areas in Sweden and Île-de-France region of Paris, Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val-de-Marne in France.

[​IMG]

Apple Maps vehicles will also begin surveying Tennessee later in August, raising the total number of U.S. states that Apple has driven through to 30. Apple began collecting street-level mapping data in 13 more U.S. states this month, including Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wyoming.

Apple confirmed in June that it is driving vehicles around the world to collect data to improve Apple Maps, and the mapping imagery is almost certainly being used to create a Google Maps "Street View" competitor. Apple Maps vehicles are also taking photos of businesses and storefronts in major metropolitan areas to replace current imagery provided by third-party sources such as Yelp.

Apple has posted a complete list of new areas in the United States, France, Ireland, Sweden and the United Kingdom it will be surveying throughout August on its Apple Maps vehicles website, including extended coverage of unmapped areas in California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Utah and Washington.

Update Jul 29: Apple Maps vehicles will also begin surveying Italy between August 1 and August 31, collecting street-level mapping data in Rome and the surrounding Lazio region.

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles to Survey France, Italy and Sweden in August

2. AngerDanger, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

So if you need to drive around with something ugly on your roof, stick an Apple Maps decal on your side window.

Apple Maps Decal.png

3. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Every time I see this, I think to myself why?

If Google has already driven and is driving cars all around the world mapping streets, then why reinvent the wheel and do the same, unless somehow, you are going to do it better.

If Apple is going to do it better, what does better mean?

Higher rez images?
    Cars will drive down the little alleyways that the google cars did not go down?

What is the point?

4. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

Sweden is also classed as 'first world'.

It's to do with whether it was regarded within the Western European/USA sphere of influence, whilst 'second world' was USSR sphere of influence, 'third world' was neither.

5. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I wasn't aware you could get Google street view with Apple maps.

6. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

The point is Google does not share this and if Apple wants to offer this feature, they have to do it themselves. It's really that simple.

BTW... saw my first Apple Map vehicle in NYC about a month ago. Can't wait to see one drive by my house out in the middle of nowhere! LOL!

7. Alenore macrumors 6502

It'll crash the App Store, Apple Maps, display an error message for every user and loads in 5 seconds.

Based on Apple Music, at least :p

8. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

If Apple was aiming to bring out, for example, a driverless electric car, it wouldn't want to be reliant on Google Maps. ;)

9. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

US, OK
    But England, Ireland, France, and Sweden before Canada?
    No iTunes Radio, ApplePay, Now Apple Maps.
    Does Apple even know that Canada exists any more?

10. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Obviously the point is to cut the reliance on google or other mapping companies for data.

11. 2010mini macrumors 68040

What's this Canada you speak of?

12. bandalay macrumors regular

bandalay

iTunes Radio *is* in Canada.

13. Jsameds macrumors 68040

My prediction for this is it'll basically allow you to seamlessly zoom to StreetView level from Flyover (Google maps transitions from Maps to StreetView rather clunkily) and also won't be limited to "teleporting" from bubble to bubble as you do with Google Maps currently, you'll be able to move around freely and in a 3D environment. To note, Google Streetview is currently two dimensional.

At a guess I can see this being introduced with iOS 10 as I can't see it being ready for iOS 9, unless they release it unfinished and call it a beta like they have done with features like Siri in the past.

14. bandalay macrumors regular

bandalay

I suspect that they will be offering some aspect of their texture-mapped fly-over - at street level. We'll finally see the underside of those trees.

15. avanpelt macrumors 68030

This is not a one-and-done deal. Google has had cars drive over the same areas again every two years or so in some instances. It's pretty cool that with Google Maps on the web that you can see how a place looked at street level in 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2015. I hope Apple keeps those vans fueled/charged up because they're going to have to be continuously driving if they want to seriously compete with Google.

16. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Nowhere other than the US and Australia have iTunes Radio. Nowhere at all has street-level photography in Apple Maps. How do you know there won't be a headline in the next 6 months mentioning these vans heading to Canada?

As for Apple Pay in Canada: There are rumours it will launch this fall. Presumably, they'll announce it with the launch of the new iPhone.

Source: http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-pay-plans-to-launch-in-canada-this-fall-1429280816

17. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

Whoa, when did that start working? I honestly never heard that they'd expanded over the border.

18. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I agree with you: I think this will be iOS 10 ready. I just hope Apple does whatever it is it needs to do to become really good at internet services. Apple Music shows how much they still have to learn, even though services like the App Store show how reliable they can be.

19. Json81 macrumors regular

Seems fair, Apple usually let's Sweden be the last country to get fun stuff even though we're usually early adopters and probably have the best internet connections in the world (I remember seeing South Korea competing with us on that).

20. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

21. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Imagine this is actually some massive conspiracy and they're actually testing drivetrains and tech for the fabled car project?

Oh oh, and the mapping is just creating and saving a LIDAR scan of streets so the car can more safely navigate.

22. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Driving that sounds like it would be fun for about 3 days.

Then, I'd be saying to myself, "Am I there yet?"

23. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Wow, I would have thought they would have the US finished by now. They must have only 3 vans worldwide.

24. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Nope.

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

with Apple Music

huh? where have u been lol does Apple Music ring a bell to u?