Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that its fleet of vehicles collecting street-level mapping data in multiple countries will begin surveying France and Sweden throughout August. The vehicles will be driving through the Malmö and Stockholm metropolitan areas in Sweden and Île-de-France region of Paris, Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val-de-Marne in France.

Apple-Maps-Vehicle.jpg

Apple Maps vehicles will also begin surveying Tennessee later in August, raising the total number of U.S. states that Apple has driven through to 30. Apple began collecting street-level mapping data in 13 more U.S. states this month, including Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wyoming.

Apple confirmed in June that it is driving vehicles around the world to collect data to improve Apple Maps, and the mapping imagery is almost certainly being used to create a Google Maps "Street View" competitor. Apple Maps vehicles are also taking photos of businesses and storefronts in major metropolitan areas to replace current imagery provided by third-party sources such as Yelp.

Apple has posted a complete list of new areas in the United States, France, Ireland, Sweden and the United Kingdom it will be surveying throughout August on its Apple Maps vehicles website, including extended coverage of unmapped areas in California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Utah and Washington.

Update Jul 29: Apple Maps vehicles will also begin surveying Italy between August 1 and August 31, collecting street-level mapping data in Rome and the surrounding Lazio region.

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles to Survey France, Italy and Sweden in August

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Every time I see this, I think to myself why?

If Google has already driven and is driving cars all around the world mapping streets, then why reinvent the wheel and do the same, unless somehow, you are going to do it better.

If Apple is going to do it better, what does better mean?

Higher rez images?
Cars will drive down the little alleyways that the google cars did not go down?

What is the point?

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011

If Google has already driven and is driving cars all around the world mapping streets, then why reinvent the wheel and do the same, unless somehow, you are going to do it better.

Higher rez images?

What is the point?
I wasn't aware you could get Google street view with Apple maps.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Higher rez images?

What is the point?

The point is Google does not share this and if Apple wants to offer this feature, they have to do it themselves. It's really that simple.

BTW... saw my first Apple Map vehicle in NYC about a month ago. Can't wait to see one drive by my house out in the middle of nowhere! LOL!

Comment

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013

Higher rez images?

What is the point?
It'll crash the App Store, Apple Maps, display an error message for every user and loads in 5 seconds.

Based on Apple Music, at least :p

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Comment

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Higher rez images?

What is the point?
Obviously the point is to cut the reliance on google or other mapping companies for data.

Comment

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
My prediction for this is it'll basically allow you to seamlessly zoom to StreetView level from Flyover (Google maps transitions from Maps to StreetView rather clunkily) and also won't be limited to "teleporting" from bubble to bubble as you do with Google Maps currently, you'll be able to move around freely and in a 3D environment. To note, Google Streetview is currently two dimensional.

At a guess I can see this being introduced with iOS 10 as I can't see it being ready for iOS 9, unless they release it unfinished and call it a beta like they have done with features like Siri in the past.

Reactions: bandalay
Comment

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada

Higher rez images?

What is the point?

I suspect that they will be offering some aspect of their texture-mapped fly-over - at street level. We'll finally see the underside of those trees.

Reactions: Keane16
Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This is not a one-and-done deal. Google has had cars drive over the same areas again every two years or so in some instances. It's pretty cool that with Google Maps on the web that you can see how a place looked at street level in 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2015. I hope Apple keeps those vans fueled/charged up because they're going to have to be continuously driving if they want to seriously compete with Google.

Comment

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
US, OK
But England, Ireland, France, and Sweden before Canada?
No iTunes Radio, ApplePay, Now Apple Maps.
Does Apple even know that Canada exists any more?

Nowhere other than the US and Australia have iTunes Radio. Nowhere at all has street-level photography in Apple Maps. How do you know there won't be a headline in the next 6 months mentioning these vans heading to Canada?

As for Apple Pay in Canada: There are rumours it will launch this fall. Presumably, they'll announce it with the launch of the new iPhone.

Source: http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-pay-plans-to-launch-in-canada-this-fall-1429280816

Comment

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
My prediction for this is it'll basically allow you to seamlessly zoom to StreetView level from Flyover (Google maps transitions from Maps to StreetView rather clunkily) and also won't be limited to "teleporting" from bubble to bubble as you do with Google Maps currently, you'll be able to move around freely and in a 3D environment. To note, Google Streetview is currently two dimensional.

At a guess I can see this being introduced with iOS 10 as I can't see it being ready for iOS 9, unless they release it unfinished and call it a beta like they have done with features like Siri in the past.

I agree with you: I think this will be iOS 10 ready. I just hope Apple does whatever it is it needs to do to become really good at internet services. Apple Music shows how much they still have to learn, even though services like the App Store show how reliable they can be.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Comment

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
US, OK
But England, Ireland, France, and Sweden before Canada?
No iTunes Radio, ApplePay, Now Apple Maps.
Does Apple even know that Canada exists any more?

Seems fair, Apple usually let's Sweden be the last country to get fun stuff even though we're usually early adopters and probably have the best internet connections in the world (I remember seeing South Korea competing with us on that).

Comment

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
Imagine this is actually some massive conspiracy and they're actually testing drivetrains and tech for the fabled car project?

Oh oh, and the mapping is just creating and saving a LIDAR scan of streets so the car can more safely navigate.

Comment

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Wow, I would have thought they would have the US finished by now. They must have only 3 vans worldwide.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.