iPhone Apple Maps vs Google Maps (Turn-by-turn)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by drakestan, Dec 21, 2012.

1. drakestan, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

drakestan macrumors regular

I'm having some issues with Google Maps and want to see if others are having the same. I have my phone setup so that it pumps music through the lighting cable to my car stereo set.

Through using Apple Maps, it flawlessly turns the music down to announce the next turn by turn step, then it turns the music back up.

However, using Google Maps, it's very choppy. It will turn the music down for a second, announce something, stutter, turn the music up, then a few seconds later finish the sentence, and then pump up the music again.

Is this a normal thing with Google Maps currently? I have taken a liking to Apple Maps over Google Maps because of this, albeit against the common thought of "Apple Maps sucks! Google ftw!"

EDIT: Also, I tried it again today (after uninstalling and reinstalling) and what it does as well is, turns the music down but doesn't say anything for a few seconds. It's quite annoying. Like, you know it's going to say something (because the music has been turned down), but it doesn't say it until a few seconds afterwards.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm using mine through the lightning port and it turns down the music as it does using any other app including Apple Maps.

That's odd ...

3. darrencp22 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. For this one critical flaw google maps is useless to me. For turn by turn Apple Maps is superior.

4. Random 995K macrumors 6502

5. drakestan thread starter macrumors regular

I mean I haven't had any issues with Apple Maps so far, it's just I thought Google Maps was going to be the holy grail of map applications.

Another note, I tried it again today (after uninstalling and reinstalling) and what it does as well is, turns the music down but doesn't say anything for a few seconds. It's quite annoying. Like, you know it's going to say something (because the music has been turned down), but it doesn't say it until a few seconds afterwards.

ex) Say the next thing to do is turn right on 1st avenue, and I'm about ~700ft away or so. It'll turn the music down and wait until it's at around 300 ft then it'll say "Turn Right on First Avenue to *street name* blah blah*. Very elongated turn-by-turn too, rather than just say Turn right on First Avenue it's like it will prolong the time it takes for her to say that.

6. newagemac macrumors 68020

Why would you think that? Especially for the turn by turn. It's been pretty well documented that Apple maps offers a superior turn by turn experience and that the app itself is top notch. The only knock on it so far is that the data is not so good in some areas compared to Google's (while also better than Google in some locations). But if the data is good in your particular area, it doesn't make much sense to expect Google's app to be better. Google is pretty lacking in the actual app compared to Apple Maps.

7. buddybd macrumors 6502

Documented where?

I haven't had much issues with turn-by-turn, but the POI list is extremely lacking. It's just more convenient to use Google Maps. I don't have music playing while driving though.

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Everywhere? It is all over this forum....turn by turn as an app is smooth, clear, integrates with Siri and if the info in your area is up to date/correct, it is awesome.

Missing night mode is about it...and of course, everyone has their own opinion...

9. buddybd macrumors 6502

That's it? Obviously it's going to be integrated deeper with the OS just like Google is on Android. I thought there would be something more scientific rather than just opinions.

"If" the info is correct then yea I suppose it's great, but that's a big "if" since Google has a massive head start in location data.

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Well...then find someplace that says turn by turn is awful and not just, "Apple Maps is crap."

How do you objectify something like turn by turn...it will all be opinion for the most part...and most seem to think it is better than other mobile versions from what I've read.

11. kyussmondo macrumors member

I have found Apple Maps pretty good for me so far. I have also had the choppy turn by turn like others.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I use the headphone jack > Aux In for my Pioneer as it has the nasty habit of taking over Music and only allowing track changes, etc from the head unit itself (I get that stupid iPod Accessory screen). My issue with Google Maps Turn-by-Turn is far worse. You can't listen to music at all as it stops playing as soon as you switch to view Google Maps. It'll navigate in the background and play music just fine, you just can't view the map and listen to music. I'm guessing it's a bug that needs squashing. Almost every navigation app I've tried during the v1 days has had similar issues. Must be confusing to implement correctly.

As a Podcast junkie that's a total deal breaker for me. Stopped using it right then and there. Too bad too because I really like the design and flow of the app. For what it's worth, I prefer the map view in Apple Maps (smoother, focused on only needed info, beautiful).

13. brylliant, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

OMG! I thought I was the only one with this problem yesterday. I thought I was doing something wrong. :confused:
    This area of the app needs updating! But its the first version of the app, I'm sure they'll iron out these nuances soon.

In the end, we used Apple Maps which worked much better!

14. drakestan thread starter macrumors regular