iPhone Apple maps (walking directions)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by eclipse01, Jul 18, 2013.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Does this mean that I can mark something (like a car in a parking lot) and it will take me to it?

or does the update for maps mean something else?

2. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

I believe it's more like from address A to address B. When you drop a pin in the maps app, it'll generate a specific (or range) address. I can't imagine the app giving you directions to, say, a swing set in a particular park versus the monkey bars 20 feet away...

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Shoot

ok thanks

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Why not...you can drop a pin today and get directions to it...or at least see where it is on the map.

5. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

This is true. I wasn't implying you can't get directions after dropping a pin. The pin drop will give you directions to, for example, the CVS, not to your car parked in the CVS parking lot.

6. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

Google maps have just rolled out their update which includes "Indoor Directions"

7. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

Google Maps all the way. Apple still has a LONG way to go. I just tried to get directions to the biggest Mall here where I live, Apple doesn't even have it in their system. Google does though.

Then I tried to find directions to the University here. Apple couldn't find the nearest road.........

8. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I actually just want an option like an app or anything that will give me walking directions to a point.

like if i'm walking in the woods, I can mark where my car is. Or mark where the car is in a large parking lot.

Bushnell has a product called a "backtrack" that does exactly this, but I figure, why couldn't a phone with GPS do the same?

9. bchery21, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

It's definitely frustrating, especially when you have Google maps as an option but Google did have an 8 year head start in this whole mapping experience. Use Google maps for now but also be rational; the back-end of Apple Maps needs time to develop...

10. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

I'd love to think i could use Apple Maps for sure, Keep everything in house wherever possible.

I always think Google will win this race though.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

GPS is not that accurate. It can only place things within about a block of where it actually is. So when I'm at the grocery store a block from my home, it often thinks I'm at home.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Odd, the GPS in the phone when combined with cell tower triangulation should be much more accurate than a block. It just might take a minute or so to close in on an accurate location.

13. fraggot macrumors 6502

I discovered something that the maps application does now, which is kind of annoying but can see why it could be a nice feature as well.

I was driving around our main city, lots of back roads and streets with low speed limits. If you go under a certain speed limit or stop for too long, it automatically switches to walking directions.

Sadly it can take a minute or two to go back to driving directions, but until then Siri will annoy you with minor directions cause it thinks you're walking 20 MPH haha.

14. kevinof macrumors 6502a

What? GPS is accurate down to a couple of meters. You need visibility to at least 3 sats (maybe 4 I can't remember) but once locked on you should get pin point accuracy.

You sure you have GPS switched on and not just relying on cell towers.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Could be that I don't have enough satelites, since I live in a major city with tall buildings, but yes, my iPhone often thinks I'm about a block from where I am. I have a location alert that keeps going off, saying I've left work, then arrived at work, then left work... when we are at a bar a block from work.