Apple Maps Wordpress plugin?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by patent10021, Oct 4, 2012.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I would like to use iMaps instead of Google Maps for WP.

Is this possible?

Thanks

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

No.

And why would you ever in a million years consider the possibility of that?

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Why wouldn't I want to replace a whore of a mapping service like Google? Why not? Eventually it will be done by many people. I know many people want to. Apparently the only reason it's not possible right now is because Apple needs to release something to make it happen? I'm not sure of the technical details obviously.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Immediately after reading this comment, I glanced to the left side of my screen. Then, I noticed you have an avatar and registered in 2004.

I'm so confused. I thought you were obviously trolling after saying something like that. Have you used Apple Maps? Have you used Google Maps?

You do know the Chief Executive Officer of Apple Inc., Tim Cook, formally APOLOGIZED for the absolute horrid Maps program they released, yes?

EDIT: Just in case you live under a rock: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/29/us-apple-cook-idUSBRE88R0SN20120929

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

I thought you were trolling after not realizing that iMaps is actually acceptable. Incase you've been living under a rock Apple had to say bye bye. Why do you think Google rushed to make an iOS compatible street view service that is using 10 year old tech and Java to spin fish-eye images around on an iPhone? Because Google needs the market share of iDevices to prevent search engine positioning by Microsoft etc. Apple doesn't need Google.

Yes it needs work but the mistake was that they didn't declare it as a beta; it was not an iMaps mistake. It uses a lot of crowd sourcing and had to be released sooner than later. It has been getting much better quickly and there are many people waiting to use iMaps APIs. iMaps is certainly better looking and TBT is definitely nice. Apple's fly-overs and Google's street views are useless but that's just me. All I need is an address or company name.

When I am installing a map in a WP theme that is responsive for smart phones and is retina capable I want something like iMaps.

Cheers