Apple Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by HarryAinslie, Jul 12, 2013.

1. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

I used Apple Maps today and lost 3G whilst driving, it then stopped updating the map and i had to try and navigate through a city just listening to Siri.

Would be awesome if you could download the maps onto the device so it didn't require the internet connection. Anyone agree?

2. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

just wait for the google maps update in august that should bring offline maps

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Motion X Drive will allow you to do this. Just prefetch the data before you head out. One of the best mapping apps ever.

TomTom does too but it's look and interface is pretty dated IMO. Keeping maps on the phone sucks up storage but it is nice.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Only problem with offline maps is that you can't reroute.

5. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

I would say that's a pretty reasonable trade-off for having maps when you have no data access. Although I guess some people might complain about it.

6. matttye macrumors 601

Do you mean in general or in Google Maps?

Google Maps 5.0 for Android has offline rerouting.

So does NavFree for iOS, as far as I can tell.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

on some apps...

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Unless it downloads every possible route, i dont see how.

9. pdqgp, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

TomTom works great and doesn't require any wifi or cell. Motion X will re-route you too if you download the maps ahead of time or the data for where you're going only requires the 2mb cache it holds...which for most trips works fine. Note that the number of tiles can multiply very quickly when you choose the closer zoom levels, so you may want to only choose the closest zoom for relatively small areas.

To be safe, I run both as they both work in the background and can run simultaneously. In areas where I have no AT&T or it's in and out, I put TomTom on top and Motion X in the background (I prefer Motion X though). TomTom keeps me on track, but when signal is available, Motion X will announce the turns and routes, etc. However, if signal fades, I won't notice as then TomTom keeps me on point.

From the TomTom Website

Know that you have navigation where and when you need it. TomTom Offline Maps are stored on your smartphone–so you don't need a data signal, or roaming, stay on the right path. You can plan a new route, re-route when you miss your turn, or search for points of interest. Offline.

10. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Is it in August? I thought they said July?

11. matty.p macrumors 6502

Apple Maps when you're in navigation won't 'lose' the maps unless you exit navigation and go back in. When you route, the app downloads the maps offline for the road the and the immediate area around it.

12. HarryAinslie thread starter macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

I don't think use another mapping application was the answer i was looking for! LoL

I may as well buy a Tom Tom with that advice.

]yeah it's the re-routing that cocked it up as i knew a shortcut and took it, then it all went to pot!

Poxy Shortcut! ha ha ha

13. matttye macrumors 601

With navfree the maps are stored on the device.

14. notrack, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

notrack macrumors 6502

Afaik there are basically two types of mapping apps. One stores all maps on the device (I found Sygic to be the best) and one downloads them on demand. I haven't heard that Apple Maps has an option to store maps on device.

If you store them, you can navigate offline freely but it takes about one GB for central Europe. If you don't store the maps on your device, you can't reroute when you lose data connection.

15. err404 macrumors 68020

If the app have the map data, a new route can be generated locally. It is especially easy to perform a very local re-route to return you to your overall path. Cheap stand alone devices have done this for over a decade.