Apple Marketing Lead Greg Joswiak Talks ARKit in New Interview

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's vice president of product marketing Greg Joswiak this week sat down for an interview with The Australian, where he spoke about the company's augmented reality efforts, including ARKit and the response that its gotten from developers so far.

Enthusiasm about ARKit has been "unbelievable" says Joswiak, who went on to describe some of the things developers have built so far, including virtual tape measures that can accurately measure real-world objects. "It's absolutely incredible what people are doing in so little time," he said. Joswiak declined to speak about Apple's future AR plans, but said the company is going to "start at zero" with the iPhone and the iPad.

Joswiak also spoke about HomeKit, where he said he expects "plenty" of compatible HomeKit devices to be in homes in Australia before the HomePod speaker launches in December, and he highlighted both the new Siri voices in iOS 11 and Apple's work on machine learning. Apple has been using machine learning techniques since 2007, when the original iPhone launched. "We used machine learning to learn what you typed back in 2007," he said.

Machine learning, ARKit, and artificial intelligence play a major role in iOS 11. With ARKit, developers are able to quickly and easily build augmented reality experiences into their apps and games. When it launches this fall, ARKit will be the largest AR platform in the world, thanks to the myriad iPhones and iPads that are out on the market.

Article Link: Apple Marketing Lead Greg Joswiak Talks ARKit in New Interview

2. mikeyteh macrumors member

mikeyteh

I wonder how good the ARKit is going to perform on those "billion" devices out there. Are we really expecting backwards compatibility all the way? How neutered will ARKit be on even one year old devices when iOS 11 launches?

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think AR-Kit is interesting in its infancy with mapping objects on to a surface. But that's just the start and how it will Expand with iOS devices. Once it expands more into the gaming era With the iPad or how someone could potentially stage their home with virtual furniture to see what it would resemble Before purchasing is clever.

I can only imagine how this will expand in its capabilities in two/three years time from where it is now.

4. BoulderAdonis macrumors regular

BoulderAdonis

Does anybody have a link on how to install the ARKit demo app?

5. tazinlwfl macrumors regular

tazinlwfl

Most likely you're provided an xcode .xcodeproj file as part of a larger zip package. Open that file in xcode 9 beta (free), make sure your iDevice has iOS 11, and choose it as the Destination / Scheme. (Product > Destination)
    [​IMG]

Then just click Build (the play button).

Might also need to double check and change your Team info under "Signing"
    [​IMG]

6. HackDaBox macrumors regular

HackDaBox

7. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

While VR is easy, just dump a faster, more powerful graphics card, AR is very complicated, because you can’t solve it just by catching the silicon drift.

Apple has, by far, the best AR until now, and it has it ready to be literally in the hands of 100’s of millions of consumers right when iOS 11 launches. They have won the game, and Google and Microsoft have a lot to catch up...

Also, they own PrimeSense, the real engineers behind "Google" Project Tango...

8. Kachelaar, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  9. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

So instead of being hands free, moving your head around in free-space.
    Then with the aid of hand controllers being able to interact with virtual objects.

You have to stand there, looking at a small screen, whilst using both hands to hold it in front of your face.

You sure Apple's version is really the future?

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

I'm really loving what i've seen thus far. new vids every day.

11. zapm macrumors member

zapm

Pair them with a set of smart glasses. Who knows, Apple may eventually come out with their own. The problem with VR is that you become completely blind to the actual world.

Check out this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article/347242/ar-vs-vr-whats-the-difference

12. ShinySteelRobot, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

ShinySteelRobot macrumors regular

ShinySteelRobot

You've confused Virtual Reality with Augmented Reality. Totally different tech.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---
    Apple wants to ensure ARKit is a great experience on all supported devices. To that end, ARKit is fully enabled on everything back to iPhone 6S and other devices from that era (basically if your device runs on an A9 chip, you're good to go).

Older devices running on A8 chips and before won't support ARKit, so I can't run it on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Of course, newer devices will probably run ARKit more smoothly, but AFAIK Apple doesn't "neuter" ARKit in any way.

13. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

looks awesome.

------
    bonus points*
    rendering workflows are going to change for the (much!) better shortly.
    major manufacturers are now highly concerned with real-time rendering on hand held devices.. (in Apple's case, they're developing Metal for this).. scale that to a desktop computer ;)

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

For some reason, you just know ARKit will take off.... Just about everything else about iOS does

15. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

This seems easily changeable.

You need front dual cameras on the front of a VR headset, then you can mix the two and have answer to both requirements.

Holding a screen up with both your hands in front of your face is a cool demo but is NOT the way forward.

16. FactVsOpinion macrumors 6502

That's not "apple's version" of AR in its limit. That's just AR on a phone. The software technology Apple developed would just as easily work in a headset or other device; and work better than competitors.

In addition, nearly the whole world has a phone already and uses it in way that could be meaningfully enhanced with AR, so Apple's approach is the right first step.

17. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

Cool demo: But I was constantly distracted by: Why does this dude have his cap on back to front? The strip of plastic poppers is perhaps the least elegant part of a cap. Why have it slapped across your forehead?

OK. I'll get back to work now...

18. adib macrumors regular

adib

From the WWDC video (Session 602), support starts with Apple A9 processors – iPhone 6S, iPhone SE, and iPad 9.7". You can download the beta and try out their sample apps yourself.

19. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Yeah. Google will redouble their efforts and include something similar in the next version of Android. Which won't be on the majority of Android devices until 2019.

Meanwhile every iPhone released from 2015 onwards will have AR Kit.

Still, somehow Google and Apple's implementation will be seen as "equal".

20. Thunderhawks Suspended

I don't get the negative attitudes of some people here.
    This is awesome stuff coming and the creative minds are just beginning to think of uses.

It will be made better and better, so let's NOT poopoo the future without seeing what is possible.

As for how many old generation iPhones and iPads are being left in the dust : That is the price to pay for technological advances.

21. red41 macrumors regular

Do you really think ARkit on the iphone is really Apple vision of the finished product? Like everything Apple does it will grow and change. It's incredible that they are able to run AR on something as small as a phone. The pretty much DOA Oculus requires you to be tethered to a PC that costs thousands of dollars.

If Apple is able to use the iphone as the engine to drive AR glasses it will cut the price down considerably and actually bring a usable AR product to the masses for the first time.

22. tazinlwfl macrumors regular

tazinlwfl

Exactly. Their only real limitation for ARKit is the chip (A9 or later). They're already comfortable using their older A-chips for non-iDevices (most recently the HomePod). I assume that A9 is the core requirement for any other product they intend to use for AR/VR. If you make the glasses/visor an accessory, the iPhone can handle the processing with the A9+ Chip. The rest is just projection back to the glasses/visor. A single camera, accelerometer, gyroscope, and the processor are all that is needed to find the surfaces needed for ARKit to function. Break that up, you can use the Accelerometer or Gyroscope in a pair of AirPods (maybe gen 2) for head tracking, and the camera attached to a set of LCD glasses. Combine that data and pump it into the phone to process.

23. Pilgrim1099, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2017

Pilgrim1099 Suspended

That's exactly the problem I have with this approach they have. Could users develop 'gorilla arms' from that?

Oh wait...Apple argued about the same thing using touchscreens on iMac.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2017 ---
    You do know that with VR goggles, you can have an external camera to view the actual world around you? HTC Vive has that feature so that if you need to see what's going on, you can activate a little window inside the screen to see your true surroundings ( ie. friends, crowd, walls, etc ).

As for a pair of smart glasses, sure that's the obvious route but that should've been offered as an alternative right now besides holding up the devices for privacy reasons.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2017 ---
    Oculus is VR, not AR. Get it right. And Oculus is STILL around. I've seen it and used it.

Thousands of dollars? Don't make me laugh. It's close to $1,000. But even if you want a new PC and Oculus, no more than $2,000 would do it. And WHO CARES if it's tethered to a PC? It's supposed to do that for seamless processing. And until then, I expect VR to evolve into portable/wireless form.

In fact, The Void VR is wireless and uses a body vest to track motion and interact with physical objects. Don't believe me?

Go there: https://www.thevoid.com/

I don't care how ( Schiller's voice ) INCREDIBLE it is to run AR on a phone. That was already a given years ago. Nothing amazing about it these days. Look at Pokemon Go. That was a form of augmented reality gaming. It's old news.

Besides, I SAW that coming a long time ago when Apple were talking about AR and I knew it would end up on iOS.

24. red41 macrumors regular

So $2000 would do it but that's not thousands of dollars. Got it. From what I've read Oculus has sold around 250,000 units, that's not exactly flying off the shelves. And to your point that VR will eventually evolve into a wireless device, that's what I'm saying about Apple's entry into AR. People are complaining that Apple's AR isn't interesting because it's on the iphone or ipad and I'm saying I don't think Apple is done with the platform, they aren't saying "Well we got it to work on an iphone, let's call it a day".

25. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

Waiting to see pictures of people running around with an iPad strapped to their heads.