Apple/Maxfield's Relationship?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by b3arclaw, May 8, 2015.

1. b3arclaw macrumors regular

Does anyone have insight into this? Apple was pushing "preorder online only" but Maxfield's is receiving stock to sell in store but Apple isn't selling them in their own retail stores.
    Just curious if anyone has any insight into this.

2. mrboba1 macrumors regular

Maxfield probably demanded a certain quantity/type for launch and since it was probably in a written contract, Apple had to supply them.

3. b3arclaw thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't Apple have a relationship with Best Buy and such? Just weird that it's given a retail exclusivity to one retailer and they're not selling the item within their own retail stores. I'm just trying to comprehend it is all.

4. mrboba1 macrumors regular

I don't really know what Maxfield is, but I assumed it was a higher end boutique store. High end boutiques =/= Best Buy.

For prestige, you want your wares in high end stores. High end stores will not work with you unless you can guarantee a certain amount of product. That's all there is to it, I'm sure.

5. b3arclaw thread starter macrumors regular

Maxfield is a higher end boutique store, but they're not exclusively selling ther higher-end style Apple watches. I'd assume they'd stock the Rose Gold and such and avoid the Sports Band.

I'm not sure of Maxfield's financials, but Best Buy's pockets are DEEP so if they were bidding for exclusivity at launch, they'd probably be a contender and we'd have heard something?

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Maybe the clientele of maxfield versus best buy had something to do with it. However, I really thought maxfield would be carrying the stainless steel and gold versions instead based on their shoppers' incomes and spending habits.

7. CaptHook macrumors member

I can see this as beneficial from Apple's side, but not from Maxfield's. Apple products have such little margin (< 10%) that there is no way they are breaking even on this, given the lining up, probably paying their salespeople commission, etc. I just don't see any upside from Maxfield's point of view given that they aren't stocking high-end models only as mentioned earlier.

8. b3arclaw thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly! I could understand if they were offering the higher-end versions of the watches because they're an upscale boutique selling Saint Laurent, etc. I was just confused when I was reading a thread in the forums about someone buying a Sports edition there..it just didn't match up in my mind.

9. mrboba1 macrumors regular

Hardly. Maxfields, as such a store, thrives on having their name known as some sort of exclusivity.

"We have the Apple Watch."

Not only does that raise their notoriety, it brings people into their stores.

McDonalds has deep pockets too, but that doesn't help them get good deals on filet mignon. And that's where Best Buy is. You simply cannot compare the two stores.

10. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

This. Apple has been actively courting the fashion world. And it's not just Maxfield, it's Colette in Paris, The Corner in Berlin, and boutiques in London, Milan, Japan, China, etc.

Maxfield doesn't want, nor need Apple's cache´ to draw in customers. In fact this is the worst thing that could happen for their regular customers -- a bunch of low income Apple fanatics lining up around their store like homeless people to buy a $350 watch, and who have no intention of buying anything else, or ever shopping there again. As a result, after this initial order is filled Maxfield may well only offer the higher end watches once the Edition is released.

Apple on the other hand gets their product in exclusive boutiques visited by fashionistas who likely don't otherwise hang out at Apple Stores, nor would they ever go there looking for a fashion item like a watch.

Regardless, I don't see Apple entering into any kind of contract that requires them to do anything, much less supply watches in the face of production issues. That said, Apple's blatant pandering to the fashion crowd may be the first of many compromises they are willing to make to play in this despicable industry.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Even though I picked up a watch at Maxfield, I agree with this 100% I don't like that Apple did this and I hope all these poor ass vagrants like myself who sit out side Maxfield lining up like the homeless at a soup kitchen deters this type of dealing in the future. I wouldn't have cried foul if this was an Apple Store exclusive but this isn't the kind strategy that Apple should be getting into IMO.

But what do I know? I don't run a billion dollar company either...

12. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

ftfy

13. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Advertising. I assume all the local news programs carried the story that Maxfield's has the watch. Even the national news carried it.

But dealing daily with what I assume are lots of scalpers must be a pain. Still, I bet they are holding a few back from every shipment for their best customers to pick up at their convenience. And those are the folks that Apple wants to get the watch sooner rather than later.

14. Xcellere macrumors member

All of this. I spent some time in Maxfields ordering and picking up watches for family, and the people that work there (the Apple employee transplants not included) are generally snobbish, elitist fashionistas that have no concern for the masses of people coming to pick up the Watch. They're all straight-faced and unpleasant when you walk in. It's really an awkward experience because of this vibe. You get the feeling that you're not welcome there unless you're dressed to the nines in high end threads.

15. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I doubt anyone bid for exclusivity. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kicked some money Maxfield's way as incentive to get them to carry the watch. This whole thing is in Apple's interest, not Maxfield's.

16. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Right. Exactly like they pandered to Paul Lagerfeld with that $30,000 custom Edition with the 18K gold link bracelet, and all the others.

Apple is buying their way into the shady world of high fashion, which stores like Maxfield and Colette legitimize for them.

17. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well I do run a Multi-billion dollar company... I just don't run a billion dollar one. :p