Apple may actually do FULLY iTunes Plus Dec 9?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BJWanlund, Dec 8, 2008.

1. BJWanlund macrumors regular

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_itunes_going_drm_free_starting_tuesday.html

While AppleInsider isn't the greatest source, it makes you wonder what the deal has been with all the recent "Upgrade My Library" titles that haven't "officially" been iTunes Plus-enabled...

And probably WDR will also go iTunes Plus, it's been long overdue. I smell a really, REALLY expensive "Upgrade My Library" payment in the near future...

BJ

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

This is good. Any news on music videos?

edit: I don't really care about music videos. Why did I even ask? At any rate, we'll see for sure tomorrow.

3. wbeasley macrumors regular

wbeasley

if it's going DRM-free...

dont' buy any DRM tracks now or you'll have to pay to upgrade them later.

that should get Apple (and all online music retailers) pushing harder for DRM free music. :)

there have been a number of my purchases appears as DRM free versions and then disappearing again from the store. something is definately up just when it's going to happen is the question.

maybe they're hoping to get the world economies going again with a massive DRM-free upgrade week... :)

4. ashowkati macrumors member

Do you think they're still charging? I thought that was back when iTunes plus cost more. Purchased AAC encoding(iTunes Plus) is now the same price as Protected AAC encoding(DRM) in the iTS. That's right. The encoding is now "Purchased AAC", which means its still locked to iPod/iPhone.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No - the music is not locked to the iPod or iPhone. Protected AAC files contain FairPlay DRM but Purchased AAC files do not.

So long as your media player of choice supports AAC any iTunes Plus songs you have purchased will play on it without any conversion required.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

How would bottlenecking every data connection in the industrial world get the economy going again? I'm sure I have a few thousand tracks that would need conversion. I'm sure there are people who have been with iTunes longer that would totally clog stuff up.

What should really be done is the creation of a DRM-killing app that you download and then it converts the files locally. That wouldn't upgrade to the higher audio quality, but it would kill the DRM and not kill the iTunes servers.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I don't think it's happening today. The new movies and TV shows are already released today in the store along with new music.

8. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I think you're right. Oh well, maybe next Tuesday. We know it's coming.

9. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and sound dumb.
    What's iTunes plus? How do I get it?

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's Apple's name for non-drm, higher quality music from the iTunes store. If the song you what is available in iTunes Plus, it has a little + next to it, and you'll get that version if you buy it.

11. Atomike macrumors member

I think folks' expectations are way too high here. This seems like the Beatles. Lots of hype. Years of nothing. Actually, this is like MOST Apple news. An exciting idea - that never happens, or severely disappoints.