Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A24, a film and TV studio that works with Apple, recently explored a possible sale and Apple was one of the interested parties, according to a new report from Variety.

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Triad.jpg

Movies that include "Hereditary," "Moonlight," "Lady Bird," and "Midsommar" have come from A24, with A24 also responsible for Apple TV+ content that includes "Mr. Corman" and "On the Rocks" along with and upcoming films "Sharper," "The Sky is Everywhere," "The Tragedy of Macbeth," "Bride," and more.

A24 is asking for $2.5 billion to $3 billion, and has been talking with potential buyers for over 18 months. According to Variety, it is not clear if those discussions are ongoing, as a source close to the company says A24 is now focused on expansion.

Some of the sources that spoke to Variety said that Apple and A24 discussed a potential acquisition when their multi-year film deal was announced in 2018, but other sources said that the two companies held discussions much more recently.

Apple appears to be looking to expand its Apple TV+ offerings, and recent rumors also suggested that Apple has expressed interest in purchasing Hello Sunshine, which is Reese Witherspoon's production company.

If Apple does ultimately end up purchasing A24, it could be folded into Apple Studios, Apple's own production company that is involved with some of its Apple TV+ shows.

Article Link: Apple May Be Interested in Acquiring A24 Film Studio

Eorlas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
hereditary and midsommar were *phenomenal* - saw midsommar 3 times while it was in theaters, twice for the director's cut so i could bring someone back to witness their reaction to it xD

a ghost story is probably one of the most emotionally tormenting films ive ever seen.

the lighthouse is absolutely gripping

it comes at night was pretty good

recently saw minari and enjoyed that for the most part

apple would be buying into a really great studio. a24 films have felt like they have individuality behind their style and direction, and usually require having a bit of thought behind understanding the films.

Comment

hrMACnstuff

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
when it comes to studio, or 007 buying, its just publicity over reality. always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Comment

Rivvvers

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
hereditary and midsommar were *phenomenal* - saw midsommar 3 times while it was in theaters, twice for the director's cut so i could bring someone back to witness their reaction to it xD

a ghost story is probably one of the most emotionally tormenting films ive ever seen.

the lighthouse is absolutely gripping

it comes at night was pretty good

recently saw minari and enjoyed that for the most part

apple would be buying into a really great studio. a24 films have felt like they have individuality behind their style and direction, and usually require having a bit of thought behind understanding the films.
No they weren’t, hereditary was average and nonsensical with a terrible ending and midsommar was laughable.
A24 have a great catalog of films but these? Lol no.

Comment

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
This would be interesting, as digital codes for nearly all A24 titles Lionsgate distributes don't have iTunes redemptions. Apple would presumably reverse that policy.

Last edited:
Comment

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
$8.5B for MGM and $3B for A24? Hmm. Apple missed out.

You could literally spend an entire day naming great MGM movies. And movies aren’t just about making new stuff. There’s 10,000 old films out there worth watching. If Apple isn’t going to have a big catalogue with some older great movies in there I fail to see what their game is. I mean, why did they even bother funding content when they have all other streaming apps available across their platforms. In hindsight, at least from my perspective they should have focused their energies instead on other stuff.

Last edited:
Comment

Patchwork

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
$8.5B for MGM and $3B for A24? Hmm
So for an extra $5.5B you get a catalogue of 4,000 films including all the Bond movie, the Wizard of Oz, all the Rocky movies, Legally Blonde, Silence of the Lambs and Raging Bull to name just a few along with 17,000 TV episodes covering Series like Fargo and The Handmaid’s Tail. Assuming that Amazon can past the latest regulatory hurdle, then that does sound a better deal.

Comment

bencordes

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
So for an extra $5.5B you get a catalogue of 4,000 films including all the Bond movie, the Wizard of Oz, all the Rocky movies, Legally Blonde, Silence of the Lambs and Raging Bull to name just a few along with 17,000 TV episodes covering Series like Fargo and The Handmaid’s Tail. Assuming that Amazon can past the latest regulatory hurdle, then that does sound a better deal.
No, you don’t get the Bond films.

Comment

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
Doesn't A24 make horror movies mostly? Is Apple planning to make a movie about Android?

Comment

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
No, no, no.

This is the problem I have with ALL streaming services that "release" or "buy the rights" to any movie or TV series. The title(s) in question become available only when you subscribe to said streaming service.

There is rarely a DVD version available to purchase. If A24 becomes part of Apple, you can forget buying and owning any of their previous award-winning films. Netflix does the same thing -- there are so many films I would love to own the DVD release, but are only available to watch when I log-in to Netflix. If I cancel my subscription, there isn't any way to watch these films.

HBO would release their self-produced films or TV series on DVD. Will HBO Max do the same? Considering what Netflix and Apple TV Plus have been able to do, I doubt it. To see the recent BBC-produced TV series "It's a Sin," my only choice in the USA was to subscribe to HBO Max to watch it. If I cancelled the subscription after 30 days, I could not wach it again. So I found the Region-2 DVD on Amazon's UK site, where the price wasn't much more than 1 month of what HBO Max/AT&T charges, and because I own a region-free Blu-Ray/DVD player, now I have a permanent copy of a TV series that may come and go at the whim of whoever is licensing the TV series.

Something's wrong with this set-up, and it's called Greed. During the worldwide pandemic, so many of the recent, highly praised and must-see films and TV series were available only if you subscribed to a certain streaming service. And you could only see that product there. Nowhere else. And we all know what happens with any subscription service once you quit paying the monthly ransom.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.