Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MplsP

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Not that I'm a huge fan of Apple's decisions of late, but just to play devils advocate, say they had different chips with different maximum speeds and they didn't throttle them- do people really think there wouldn't be a huge outcry over Some phones performing faster than others? Seems like they were damned if they did, damned if they didn't. Currently all of the phones meet the published specs, so it's not like you're not getting what you're paying for.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Not that I'm a huge fan of Apple's decisions of late, but just to play devils advocate, say they had different chips with different maximum speeds and they didn't throttle them- do people really think there wouldn't be a huge outcry over Some phones performing faster than others? Seems like they were damned if they did, damned if they didn't. Currently all of the phones meet the published specs, so it's not like you're not getting what you're paying for.

but why didn't apple just use the better modem in all markets? then they wouldn't have to make the better modem perform worse to make it match the Intel pos

Reactions: macfacts

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
Meh, in Northwood, OH with Verizon. Respectable speeds. Rendering mobile websites, using social media apps, and other tasks that a phone can handle, wouldn't really benefit from much higher speeds. Doesn't matter to me if it's true or not

Attachments

• IMG_0746.PNG
    IMG_0746.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: Glideslope

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
This link doesn't really tell much:

> Our target audience is the end user who is passionate about cellular technology.

A firm doing research based NYC just for "passionate end users"? really?? ...no business model? (Most research firms sell their reports to businesses that need this information to make good decisions) ... don't they have to pay the bills, etc?

Yeah, looking at that site (which is really nicely done) it is very unclear what their business model is. There are no ads, there is no paywall, there is no subscription service or offer to sell more data. There isn't even any info on the authors.

They say: "But rather than bombarding you with redundant smartphone unboxing videos, camera performance reviews, subjective opinions on design and user interface, we will evaluate the modem, antenna, and front end performance of popular smartphones. Our goal is to bring this essential and long forgotten topic to the forefront, and create a discussion."

Seems like this might be a long game move to get some additional love (meaning market share) for the nuts and bolts of smartphones. I agree that they are funded by someone and that someone has an agenda. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that their data and facts are wrong. They might be or they might be true and just trying to get credit for a superior product.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I think it's possible, even likely, that tests designed for optimum situations don't reflect real world use cases in any way. That's why it's important to know who the testing companies are. What are their true motivations?

I agree with you that intentions should always be investigated. And almost always these kinds of things are simply self-advertisements for the services that such companies provide. To get attention, they publish something click worthy. Which usually means something about Apple :)

That said, after reading a bunch of Cellular Insight's blogs, there doesn't seem to be any particular agenda, except maybe to accidentally promote T-Mobile.

As for their concentration on Qualcomm, well after all, most phones do use Qualcomm modems in the USA, and there's no doubt that the current Intel offering has fewer features. Those are facts they can't change.

Moreover, they're not alone in concentrating on Qualcomm. It seems that's pretty normal. E.g. Not All 4G LTE Modems Are Created Equal - Forbes guest article by Moor Insight & Strategy

Maybe they did it for power savings.

Maybe not.

Everything I've read says that Qualcomm is best at power savings, partly because it can spend the least amount of time online to download the same amount.

Last edited:

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Jesus Christ people, cellular insights isn't some conspiracy company, it's ONE guy on Reddit that tests phone modems. Here is his user profile:

https://www.reddit.com/user/milan03/
https://www.reddit.com/user/milan03/submitted/

Here's what he said about the throttling:
I would certainly not call it "throttling". Apple simply paid Qualcomm to supply the X12 modem built to Apple's spec. They wanted to keep 3-Way DL CA, and 2-Way Uplink CA, but they explicitly declined to pay for features like DL-256QAM, UL-64QAM, 4x4 MIMO, EVS, etc. That custom configured X12 spec just happened to match Intel's XMM7360 maximum possible LTE capability to a T.

And to the guy that said Intel is using a brand new modem: The Qualcomm x12 modem is brand new, but not using its full features. The Intel xmm7360, on the other hand was released last year in 2015!

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
So you just defend Apple no matter what? Apple is infallible and no one could possibly have a legitimate complaint?
and you believe anything anti-apple even when there is no "proof"?
[doublepost=1479699774][/doublepost]
If I could get to 450Mbps I would take that. Fastest I have seen personally is about 90Mbps and that was only once. On average I see 40-50 so 450-600 is of no concern at this point.
agree! I'd love to smell anything close to 450Mbps..... I'm getting more like 35-60 on LTE through ATT. Just tested... 31 Down, 14 up.

Reactions: xpxp2002

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
No, it's not on me. I haven't claimed that they are a shill or that they aren't. By publishing they implicitly make the claim that they are legitimate, but they haven't backed that up. I'm simply pointing that out.

Yes, they've provided some data, but only in relation to the argument they're making. The purpose of making that argument (true or not) is in question here. Are they making the argument to inform or to manipulate? Knowing more about them would go a long way toward answering that question.

Now I'm starting to wonder if *you* are a shill. What's your relationship to Intel and Qualcomm? I can't accept anything else you say until you back up that you are legitimate.

Reactions: RedOrchestra

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
It would be really helpful if people posted the carrier they are referencing in their post.

"Yeah, I'm getting slow speeds." IS NOT "Yeah, I'm getting slow speeds on "Carrier A".

The post below was automatically meerged by the BB. It does help too illustrate that including as much info in a post as possible is a good thing.

[doublepost=1479551288][/doublepost]

...and this was in what city? What model phone?
[doublepost=1479551855][/doublepost]

You have an unlocked phone with an AT&T sim and a Verizon sim, or another setup?
[doublepost=1479553114][/doublepost]

Where are you seeing m 0.5 up to a peak of 2.0mbps?

Columbia, SC

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I'm not going to worry about this anymore. I'll be happy as long as the iPhone 7 works. That's good enough for me.

cwt2nospam

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2016
I can't accept anything else you say until you back up that you are legitimate.
I'm not asking you to accept anything I say because I'm not saying anything. I'm asking questions. I questioned their motives and I questioned their impartiality. I've seen nothing that answers those questions, neither here nor on their web site.

kdarling

macrumors P6
but why didn't apple just use the better modem in all markets? then they wouldn't have to make the better modem perform worse to make it match the Intel pos

Cost, control and multiple sourcing.

Qualcomm demands a high price. Intel will do whatever Apple asks, to get a foot in the door. And it's always better to have more than one source.

It's like how Apple plays TSMC against Samsung.

Reactions: determined09

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
There is more to performance than max speed.

that's the problem though.no carrier can come close to what these modems can do full tilt.its the performance difference with low to mid signal strength we are talking about.

the Qualcomm gets 2-3x faster downloads and uploads at low signal strength where most people would take advantage of in real life scenarios .I hit 40mb with 1 bar on my gs7.i ts the same modem but is being crippled.i know the gs7 has 4 antennas on it and wonder if it's an apple design thing that has something to do with it also.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
that's the problem though.no carrier can come close to what these modems can do full tilt.its the performance difference with low to mid signal strength we are talking about.

the Qualcomm gets 2-3x faster downloads and uploads at low signal strength where most people would take advantage of in real life scenarios .I hit 40mb with 1 bar on my gs7.i ts the same modem but is being crippled.i know the gs7 has 4 antennas on it and wonder if it's an apple design thing that has something to do with it also.

Ouch.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Results vary wildly depending on what tower and what back-end you are using in the Speed test app. I've been to some locations I can't even get 40 standing under a cell tower, other places get much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.