Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is considering creating original podcasts focused on TV shows and movies from its Apple TV+ streaming service, reports Bloomberg. The podcasts would be used to promote Apple TV+ content.

In the summer of 2019, Apple began asking podcast producers to pitch ideas for podcasts with connections to Apple TV+ shows, and has since discussed making podcasts with the producers of some of those TV shows.

the-morning-show-aniston-witherspoon.jpg

Apple's streaming TV service, which launched in November, has less content than other streaming services like Hulu, Disney+, and Netflix, so podcasts could provide Apple with a way to draw in new viewers. Though Apple is new to streaming TV, some of its shows, like "The Morning Show" have already earned award nominations and wins.

Apple TV+ competitor Netflix creates podcasts that offer behind the scenes looks at TV shows, so Apple could potentially offer something similar for its own shows.

Apple's plans have not been finalized, and it's not clear when Apple TV+ podcasts might start rolling out if Apple does indeed decide to continue on with the project.

Article Link: Apple May Develop Original Podcasts Related to Apple TV+ Content

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
I just discovered that The Morning Show is the actual title of the show we get to experience as The Morning Wars here in Australia!
This had me so confused as well! I wonder why they had to change it (or figured it'd do better to be localised that way if it wasn't a legal issue).

Reactions: Valmont11

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
Netflix does it with Netflix is a joke, makes sense that Apple would do it too. It is kind of like blu-day extras in a more modern way for the streaming platforms

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I was/am a bit concerned by the trend of platform exclusive podcasts but there is no shortage of content available that is platform agnostic. It makes sense for any aspiring service to maximize potential engagement by developing podcast tie ins to existing shows. Apple TV+(hopefully to be renamed in the not too distant future) is hobbled by lack of content and this makes perfect sense and is dirt cheap to produce compared to shows and movies.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
Am I the only one that finds the Morning Show self-important and boring? It seems to assume that fluff morning news shows play a central part in the American ethos. I don't know anyone that watches morning news shows. I don't care which talking head gets to read a teleprompter. And I find the sexual assault theme tone deaf.

But sure, let's have a podcast.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nebulance and Ar40

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Am I the only one that finds the Morning Show self-important and boring? It seems to assume that fluff morning news shows play a central part in the American ethos. I don't know anyone that watches morning news shows. I don't care which talking head gets to read a teleprompter. And I find the sexual assault theme tone deaf.

But sure, let's have a podcast.
I don’t watch morning shows either. But it looks as though about 10 million people watch the morning shows on the big three networks, plus the ones that watch the cable news morning show offerings.

Reactions: Ar40

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Because there's a show called The Morning Show on Channel 7 in Australia.
Ahhh, that makes sense but I can't believe there isn't a show called that in the US too with how generic it is! (doesn't make much effort to distinguish a daily show with a TV series either, but hey...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.