Apple May Release Backlit Smart Keyboard With Scissor Switches Alongside 2020 iPads [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may release a Smart Keyboard with a scissor switch design for its next-generation iPad or iPad Pro models, suggests Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes, although full details are not available yet.

A paywalled preview of the report vaguely claims that "Apple's next-generation iPad series reportedly will feature a scissor switch keyboard," which is presumably referring to an accessory rather than a built-in hardware keyboard. The full report should be released tomorrow with more details.

In July 2019, reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that iPad keyboards would stick with a rubber dome design rather than scissor switches in 2020-21, adding further uncertainty to this report.

Apple switched to a butterfly mechanism for its MacBook Pro keyboard in 2016, and after years of issues with sticky or unresponsive keys, it finally returned to a scissor switch design with the new 16-inch MacBook Pro last October. Kuo expects the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air to follow suit in 2020.

We'll update this post when the full report is released.

Update: The full report claims that Apple will likely release new iPads with "glowing" scissor switch keyboards in the second half of 2020, which presumably means a backlit Smart Keyboard. The report also reiterates that a 13-inch MacBook Pro with a scissor keyboard will be released in the first half of 2020.

Article Link: Apple May Release Backlit Smart Keyboard With Scissor Switches Alongside 2020 iPads [Updated]

Last edited:

Peepo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I wonder if it'll be compatible with the current generation of iPads?
Hope so. They would sell a lot of these. However I can’t see Apple doing this as they would instead want people to purchase an entire new iPad.
How come we don’t see third part solutions that are similar ?

hardwickj

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2009
DigiTimes vs. Ming-Chi Kuo. This feels like a no-brainer. I'm not clear why MacRumors references anything from DigiTimes anymore.

Reactions: Crow T Robot

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I don't know why Digitimes is ever cited as a source. Have they ever been right, ever?

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
The old one for the 10.2"/10.5" is great. I have two of them. The only thing I miss is the backlight.

I wonder if it'll be compatible with the current generation of iPads?
Well, the camera cutout would be different, and there's no guarantee it'd line up properly with the old model's camera and magnets. My guess is the new one will be specific for the 2020 model.

I don't know why Digitimes is ever cited as a source. Have they ever been right, ever?
Yes, many times. Mind you, they throw so much out there, something's gotta stick. Then again, some of their rumours are very specific, the type of stuff that most rumour sites wouldn't be looking into specifically.

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro is the best Keyboard for mobile devices ever.
I might agree if it had adjustable viewing angles, was back lit and some specialty keys like most aftermarket ones would be nice as well. The Logitech iPad pro keyboard is a better typing experience. Brydge is the best for construction and viewing angles but the keyboard itself is the worse typing experience I've ever had.

But minimalism and connectivity wise Apple's the best.

I stuck with the Brydge as I find viewing angle the most important for me.

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2014
Article writer, good job finding ways to not say “switch to scissor switch” haha.

The Smart Keyboard keys don’t feel great to type on, but to achieve the thinness and lightness that it does as a screen cover, for a device that prioritizes mobility and touch input, I welcome the trade off. I‘d think scissor switches will make it thicker and heavier.

If they’re going to make a heavier, thicker keyboard, I’d rather just have a 360 hinge built-in keyboard base. I only take the keyboard off my 12.9” to draw anyway (sometimes not even then), and even then it’s still usually resting on a surface (sometimes my stomach). But I‘m probably in the minority even among 12.9” users, much less <11” users.

Reactions: niji and ascender