Apple MBP 15 VS HP ENVY 14

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ahmer50, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Ahmer50 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a budget PC (HP Dv6628us), but my demands have since gone up and I'll be needing an effective desktop replacement now. Firstly, I want to make clear that I won't be opening my laptop or anything like that, I'm just not comfortable with it, so don't suggest that I do any upgrading myself. For me, I need a computer that looks good and is powerful. I also have to keep the price under $2500 (without tax, prices listed below are final including tax). I need 4+ hrs of battery life as well.

Apple Macbook Pro 15 Inch ($2640)
    -----------------------------

2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    AMD Radeon 6770 w/ 1 GB VRAM
    128GB Solid State Drive

Or

HP Envy 14 Beats ($2280)
    --------------------------

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1
    1GB DDR3 Radeon(TM) HD 6630 switchable Graphics [HDMI, Mini Display Port]
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
    878GB Dual Drive (128GB mSATA SSD + 750GB 7200RPM HDD) With HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive

I realize they aren't equal and I realize there are better bargains. My question for you guys is how different these machines would perform for the following tasks, and with them in mind, which you would buy?

-Mild Photoshop
    -Mild HD Video Editing
    -Midlevel Gaming
    -HD Movie playback
    -Online HD Video
    -Web Browsing
    -iWork/Office
    -iLife (In the case of the MBP)

2. imswimmin macrumors regular

Based on your usage needs, I'd say that it pretty much comes down to which OS you prefer. Spec by spec, the mac is more powerful, but for your money, you'd be getting more RAM and dual drives in the HP. (BTW, get your RAM 3rd-party. It's cheaper that way.)

I've got an HP Envy 14 (the previous generation), and it is definitely a solid machine. I got it with the i7-740QM (1.7 GHz w/ turbo boost to 2.9 GHz), and it is working just as fast as it was the day I bought it. So, don't think that you'll be getting some unreliable machine that won't last very long. It is not showing any signs of a short life-cycle, that many other HPs tend to follow.

(BTW, I'm not biased towards the HP, as I am typing this post on my MBA.)

So, like I said above. It comes down to the OSes. Both machines are very good! Both will serve your needs perfectly.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

There is already a thread about the HP ENVY in the forums somewhere. PC stuff is almost always going to provide you with better specs for less money, so then it depends on your priorities. There are lots of little things (like customer service and support), but two big things to think about.

Do you value good design (I think the current MBP design is gorgeous and well-thought out)?

Do you value the operating system (I like both W7 and OSX, but personally, I find OSX to be a lot more fun).

Some people care about design. Some people don't. Some people care about the OS. Some people don't.

The computers will run all of that stuff without any problem. So, what are your priorities?

4. Ahmer50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great response. My only qualms about the envy are windows and the battery life (its half) . I was wondering about slowdown, but you indicate it isn't an issue.

I love OS X, but in terms of hard drive, ram, and price, the envy tears it to shreds.

Im going to wait for more opinions, but thanks for the fast feedback.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Looking at the things you do, my choice would be a 2.2 15" HR Glossy MBP with 3rd party SSD & memory. The choice between the HP Envy (1366 x 768) and the 15" HR MBP (1680 x 1050) would be the deciding factor for me. As for the graphics, HP Envy (6630--480@485MHz) vs 15" HR MBP (6750M--480@600MHz), I think it'll be sufficient enough for your gaming.

**2 cents

My brother does mild photoshopping and video editing and his deciding factor was the screen. With the HR glossy, the quality of the photos/videos as well as the screen estate helped him do his editing a lot better.

Goodluck with your choice :)

6. Ahmer50 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's something I was thinking of as well... but how will the difference between 512mb and 1gb vram affect me for gaming and etc now as well as a few years down the line? I intend to own this laptop for atleast three years.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

That's a question for the experts :p. There's probably a difference, but I can't help with that ^_^. The deal breaker for me was at the screen, everything else was just the icing on top of the delicious cake.

8. Ahmer50 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was reading up on the high res macbook pro though, and some people (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2730099?start=0&tstart=0) are complaining of the fonts being too small. I don't want menus that are unreadable, so if that is the case, then I'm fine with less real estate. Is that the case or is this guy just exaggerating? I realize the post is old, but it should still apply.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Honestly, I thought so at first, but with the CRISPY display and 36% more screen estate...I said it's well worth it. I was comparing the two (glossy and HR glossy) in the Apple store, and the HR glossy looked way better on video playback and photos. The menus aren't unreadable, they're actually smaller and you don't really see the pixels on the screen. Think of it as an HD screen imo :p

10. iRCL macrumors 6502

Who cares about the specs, would you seriously want to buy something other than a MacBook? Non-starter

11. tortura macrumors newbie

buy hp envy!

HP!!!

after using it, you will ask your self next time again.

if you buy a macbook, you will never ask yourself again. :D

but seriously, its a general fault not to buy a applemachine it is a life quality!

12. DryEyez macrumors 6502

A year ago, I would have said, HP Envy, no brainer...today I have been converted, and would say the MBP. The difference in build quality is astounding, the resolution of the screen is a lot better, if you can't read the font, then those people are probably blind. The MBP is likely to long outlive the HP Envy and retain its price more so overtime as well when it's time for an upgrade.

If anything does go wrong with the MBP...go to the apple store, you never need to worry about customer service because it's always top notch. I was a windows user all my life and it's only this past year, the date I joined macrumors I have used osx and macs...I'll never go back though.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a top of the line HP Elitebook 2730 partially disassembled on a card table in my basement. At my daughter's former school, they insisted we buy the thing. It broke down dozens of times during her two years there. Now she's at a school where her computer is her choice. I recently got her a refurb Black Macbook that is actually 2 years older than the HP and it's holding up very well.

The HP display connection is intermittent. Colors flicker when you move the screen. Both the internal and optional external 8 hour "extended" battery won't hold a charge. I have replaced the power cord once. After my experience with her Elitebook, I wouldn't buy cat litter from HP much less any sort of computer. Of course the OS has s little something to do with it as well. I've used OS X, Windows and Linux and by far I prefer OS X.

As I talk about this next bit, try to imagine how you could be productive on a modern computer without a mouse. At work, I have a 1 year old Dell Latitude E6400. It's a nice machine. When it works. It's running Win 7 Enterprise. When I tell it to go into standby, it's faster than XP but still MUCH slower than OS X to actually make it into standby. When I wake it up, I am intermittently without the use of a pointing device either bluetooth, usb or touchpad for 20 to 30 minutes after each time coming out of standby. There is no way I would pick a Windows based PC for home use.

As with most tech things, Your Mileage May Vary, but if you stick with Apple gear, you won't ever have to waste time asking "should I switch?" It works well enough and Apple's customer care is good enough when it doesn't work that you will never again have doubts about which computer you need and you can focus on more important things.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL. Yep. This was it for me. Looking back on all the trouble I had with PCs in the past, it is difficult to imagine how I put up with weeks of waiting for Toshiba, Panasonic, Compaq, and others to finish their repairs and get the computer back to me. I haven't had a moment of trouble with the MBP, and when I did have a minor issue with my iPod a few months ago, I got a new one as a replacement on the spot. Wow. I don't know a single person with a complaint about the quality of Apple products, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the people in this room (where I am right now) who have had problems with PCs.

I am not kidding about this: a guy's Dell laptop died on him yesterday and he has lost a bunch of work time right before a major deadline that will affect his career. He ordered a new one (poor guy couldn't switch to a Mac on such short notice) that ought to be here tomorrow. Hopefully, he can make the deadline. Don't be that guy!

15. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Wow. I feel sorry for him.

I had one close brush with bad service from Apple. I had a "free" iPod Touch I got when I bought my son's MBP for college. It died on me. I had begun using it as my primary PDA and my BB had become just a dumb email phone. I went to the Apple store and they got out the industrial microscope and started looking for "abuse". They found some orange "cruft" along the connector and alleged that I had submerged the thing and refused to fix it. I explained that I had thousands of dollars of Apple gear and was sure to buy more and asked why they would risk losing a customer when I knew the thing had never left my shirt pocket. I left the store with a broken device but when I called AppleCare, they went ahead and replaced it by mail. This meant I walked around for days with no "PDA" but at least I didn't have to pay for a repair that clearly wasn't my fault. Since then I have purchased an iPad, an iPhone 4 and another Macbook. I'd say the money I spent more than makes up for what it cost Apple to replace my "free" iPod Touch and it increased my loyalty as a customer.

Two of my friends have had bad service from Apple. Each of them walked in to an Apple store, handed their iPhone 4 to a Genius who immediately reset it without warning causing them to lose all their photos and data. Neither of them had backed up their phones in months. It's a pain to back up an iThing. It's slow. It's very slow. Fortunately there is iCloud nowadays to protect us from hasty Apple Geniuses. Both of them now use iCloud so as long as they back up to iCloud, this should never happen again.

Apple isn't perfect. But they are smart enough to compete well against those who are far less perfect and Apple is humble enough to continuously improve. Both of these are big factors in my sticking with Apple gear.

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

Yeah. I just talked to the guy. He is in good spirits. But, looks stressed out.

Sorry to hear about those bad experiences at the Apple store. It does seem that service varies from store to store, but perseverance usually gets you a fair resolution (you got yours by mail).

The backup thing is a good point. It is a bit of a pain, but worth it, especially if it is something like a PDA for you. In my case, I backed it up and erased all of my data before taking it into them. I get kind of nervous about handing an electronic device with all of my passwords and stuff over to someone, even if they do have a t-shirt and call themselves a genius :)