Apple @me email not receiving email

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
@me email is not receiving messages. The mail gets sent back with this message:
This is the mail system at host dellbld07.localdomain.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<XXXXX@me.com>: host mx4.me.com.akadns.net[17.172.36.43] said: 550 5.7.0
Blocked - see
https://support.proofpoint.com/dnsbl-lookup.cgi?ip=195.170.168.71:
XXXXXX@me.com (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; dellbld07.localdomain X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 8D9042C78C2 X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; XXXXXXX@iol.pt Arrival-Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 16:17:59 +0000 (WET) Final-Recipient: rfc822; XXXXX@me.com Original-Recipient: rfc822;XXXXX@me.com Action: failed Status: 5.7.0 Remote-MTA: dns; mx4.me.com.akadns.net Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.0 Blocked - see https://support.proofpoint.com/dnsbl-lookup.cgi?ip=195.170.168.71: XXXXX@me.com
Lets see if this works

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Possible Cause:

Looks like you are running your own SMTP Server. Like under Mac OS X Lion "Server". If so, are you running this on your home network "behind" a DYNAMIC IP from your ISP (I.E. Not a STATIC IP). If you are running a Server "behind" a DYNAMIC IP then some SMTP Server's will BLOCK you. I have had this problem with my office computers where I was running an SMTP Server and I switched from a STATIC IP to a DYNAMIC IP from my ISP to save some money and then my SMTP could not send mail. I think they want to reduce possible SPAM Server's that are hiding behind DYNAMIC IP's.

If this is the case, you may need to point SMTP to your ISP's SMTP Server for OUTGOING Mail.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Possible Cause:

Looks like you are running your own SMTP Server. Like under Mac OS X Lion "Server". If so, are you running this on your home network "behind" a DYNAMIC IP from your ISP (I.E. Not a STATIC IP). If you are running a Server "behind" a DYNAMIC IP then some SMTP Server's will BLOCK you. I have had this problem with my office computers where I was running an SMTP Server and I switched from a STATIC IP to a DYNAMIC IP from my ISP to save some money and then my SMTP could not send mail. I think they want to reduce possible SPAM Server's that are hiding behind DYNAMIC IP's.

If this is the case, you may need to point SMTP to your ISP's SMTP Server for OUTGOING Mail.
Thanks for your reply.

I am running no server. I setup iPad with an IOL (portuguese email) account and it works fine for sending/receiving other emails (gmail, etc). At home all I have is a normal DSL line with a wireless router/modem, to which iPad is connected.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Thanks for your reply.

I am running no server. I setup iPad with an IOL (portuguese email) account and it works fine for sending/receiving other emails (gmail, etc). At home all I have is a normal DSL line with a wireless router/modem, to which iPad is connected.
I was mainly going my this: "This is the mail system at host dellbld07.localdomain"

The "localdomain" was confusing me.

Good Luck.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
If you click the link in the message you'll see the following information:

IP Address 195.170.168.71
Reverse Lookup dellbld07.srv.portugalmail.net
Earliest Seen as Spam 10/11/2009 18:39:45 GMT
Most Recently Seen as Spam 03/10/2012 20:32:33 GMT We are seeing spam messages from this IP today. Please check your network.
# of Spam Msgs Collected 19
Query Time 03/10/2012 22:37:27 GMT
DNS Zone safe.dnsbl.prs.proofpoint.com

Proofpoint on the me.com host blocked the message because of SPAM originating from your mail host (your e-mail provider). The hostname is actually dellbld07.srv.portugalmail.net and it's on a BUNCH of blacklists. You'll be lucky to send e-mail from that account to anyone. Well, anyone with a mail host that uses basic SPAM protection. More sophisticated SPAM filters may not block the messages.

Unfortunately, you chose an e-mail provider that is spewing crap and is being blocked so there isn't anything you can do about it except get an e-mail account somewhere else.