Apple messed with me but good

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Okay, here's my story: I have multiple phones and iPads on my account. I have pre-ordered at least 10 times, never had an issue. I just replaced a 6S with an iPhone 8 a month ago, went smooth as glass. Last week, to make sure everything was in order, I went to my local AT&T office and made sure my account was 0 balance. I went into the Apple Store app and made sure my account had all my correct credit card info and that it was zero balance.

Promptly at midnight - 11 for me in Alaska - I logged into my phone and iPad on the Apple Store app and my PC into AT&T.

After about 15 minutes, I got an order placed on my phone. It took a couple of tries but it took. "We are holding an iPhone for you" and gave me a reservation number. As I was completing things, the progress bar on AT&T moved over and showed a delivery date of 1-2 weeks. I cancelled that because I had an order with Apple, right?

I checked on the status and it said I could take delivery on 11/3 at either my local Apple store or have it shipped to my house. Wait for an email, it said. I went to bed.

The next morning, Friday, the status would not update. No email ever showed up. I went to AT&T and they said they had no record of any order. I had to get on a plane to travel so I could not go to Apple, no store where I am now. Yesterday afternoon and last night, several calls and chats with AT&T and Apple, nothing. Told to call Apple and - surprise! - they were closed. In desperation, I placed an order with AT&T; delivery in 5-6 weeks, $999, thank you very much.

This morning, I talked to a very nice young lady in Texas, believe her name was Tyrese or something similar. She sympathized and said, after numerous holds, that she had been told that dropped reservations like mine would be honored and that my new order would be 'converted' and the 11/3 delivery date would be honored. She promised to send me an email with her direct line in 10-15 minutes so I could follow up with her if the confirmation email from Apple didn't come in a couple of hours. I never got an email from Tyrese and I never got an email from Apple. The only email I have had from them in the last 3 days is the one confirming the second phone.

This afternoon, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with another CSR. My reservation for 11/3? It's gone. After lengthy discussions, she said she was sorry but my only choice is to wait for 12/11-12/18. She said she would escalate my call and have a supervisor get back to me. That didn't happen, either.

Nobody has called me. Nobody has emailed me. Apple sent me a Reservation and then cancelled it without explanation. I just checked and my second order is showing with December 11 through 18 as delivery dates. I did everything right and spent hours trying to get Apple to correct their mistakes. Apple has screwed me and I won't forget it.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Did you take screenshots of any confirmation screens?
Yes. For 23 hours, when I would enter the code, it would say, 'cannot complete, try again later.' Now it says reservation not found. I have the screen shot and would be glad to email it to someone but nobody ever emailed me as they promised.

I am white hot with rage. Not because I am missing out on a new phone, I have a perfectly fine iPhone 7 on AT&T and a an iPhone 6 that I use as a backup. I am angry because I have spent hours of my time screwing with this and Apple has not kept their commitment to me multiple times. No phone call, no email, nothing but, 'I'm going to place you on hold while I check my resources' followed by, 'I can't find an order for you...'

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yes. For 23 hours, when I would enter the code, it would say, 'cannot complete, try again later.' Now it says reservation not found. I have the screen shot and would be glad to email it to someone but nobody ever emailed me as they promised.

I am white hot with rage. Not because I am missing out on a new phone, I have a perfectly fine iPhone 7 on AT&T and a an iPhone 6 that I use as a backup. I am angry because I have spent hours of my time screwing with this and Apple has not kept their commitment to me multiple times. No phone call, no email, nothing but, 'I'm going to place you on hold while I check my resources' followed by, 'I can't find an order for you...'
Post the pic.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
This is what i hate about pre-ordering. Some people will have bad experience with glitches or errors...
What error did I make? My address has not changed in 10 years since my first iPod and 3G. I've been with AT&T for years, my bill runs around $400/month and it is current.

Reactions: macfacts

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Nobody has called me. Nobody has emailed me. Apple sent me a Reservation and then cancelled it without explanation. I just checked and my second order is showing with December 11 through 18 as delivery dates. I did everything right and spent hours trying to get Apple to correct their mistakes. Apple has screwed me and I won't forget it.
I certainly understand your frustration and amount of effort you put in, but one thing you have to understand, is Apples absolutely is slammed right now with ordering and account questions. If Apple didn't get back to you right away, they likely will, it's just not going to be as quickly as you hoped.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
"I'll email you in 10-15 minutes with my direct line."

That was 12 hours ago.

"I'll escalate this to a manager and have him contact you."

That was 8 hours ago.

"In a couple of hours, your order will be changed to 11/3."

That never happened. It won't

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
What error did I make? My address has not changed in 10 years since my first iPod and 3G. I've been with AT&T for years, my bill runs around $400/month and it is current.
Pat said “glitches or errors.” No one is saying you did anything wrong.

Sometimes orders fall through the cracks. It sucks, but it happens. What matters most is how they handle things when they do, and I really hope Apple customer service steps up soon, because it’s not looking good for them so far.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
At the end of the day, the order didn’t get through in time, there’s very little anyone could do in that situation but they normally are never like this.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Okay, here's my story: I have multiple phones and iPads on my account. I have pre-ordered at least 10 times, never had an issue. I just replaced a 6S with an iPhone 8 a month ago, went smooth as glass. Last week, to make sure everything was in order, I went to my local AT&T office and made sure my account was 0 balance. I went into the Apple Store app and made sure my account had all my correct credit card info and that it was zero balance.

Promptly at midnight - 11 for me in Alaska - I logged into my phone and iPad on the Apple Store app and my PC into AT&T.

After about 15 minutes, I got an order placed on my phone. It took a couple of tries but it took. "We are holding an iPhone for you" and gave me a reservation number. As I was completing things, the progress bar on AT&T moved over and showed a delivery date of 1-2 weeks. I cancelled that because I had an order with Apple, right?

I checked on the status and it said I could take delivery on 11/3 at either my local Apple store or have it shipped to my house. Wait for an email, it said. I went to bed.

The next morning, Friday, the status would not update. No email ever showed up. I went to AT&T and they said they had no record of any order. I had to get on a plane to travel so I could not go to Apple, no store where I am now. Yesterday afternoon and last night, several calls and chats with AT&T and Apple, nothing. Told to call Apple and - surprise! - they were closed. In desperation, I placed an order with AT&T; delivery in 5-6 weeks, $999, thank you very much.

This morning, I talked to a very nice young lady in Texas, believe her name was Tyrese or something similar. She sympathized and said, after numerous holds, that she had been told that dropped reservations like mine would be honored and that my new order would be 'converted' and the 11/3 delivery date would be honored. She promised to send me an email with her direct line in 10-15 minutes so I could follow up with her if the confirmation email from Apple didn't come in a couple of hours. I never got an email from Tyrese and I never got an email from Apple. The only email I have had from them in the last 3 days is the one confirming the second phone.

This afternoon, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with another CSR. My reservation for 11/3? It's gone. After lengthy discussions, she said she was sorry but my only choice is to wait for 12/11-12/18. She said she would escalate my call and have a supervisor get back to me. That didn't happen, either.

You should've just waited. You got nutty and now you have to wait 2 months as a result. This isn't Apples fault. They did everything right as far as order process. you just got impatient and cancelled your own order.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The order went through in time, I have the reservation screen shot to prove it. Why that didn't become an order is a mystery to me and everyone I've spoken to at Apple and at AT&T.

All Apple has done, between putting me on hold and ignoring me, is to make excuses. I would assume someone, somewhere has the power to correct the issue but so far, absolutely nothing has happened.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The order went through in time, I have the reservation screen shot to prove it. Why that didn't become an order is a mystery to me and everyone I've spoken to at Apple and at AT&T.

All Apple has done, between putting me on hold and ignoring me, is to make excuses. I would assume someone, somewhere has the power to correct the issue but so far, absolutely nothing has happened.
Should've just waited for the email to come through. You can always return the second phone if it comes to you.

Reactions: z28black98

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
You should've just waited. You got nutty and now you have to wait 2 months as a result. This isn't Apples fault. They did everything right as far as order process. you just got impatient and cancelled your own order.
Not true. The reservation was gone before the second order. No one can find any trace of it. When I gave that number to Apple yesterday and last night, no one could find it.
[doublepost=1509257517][/doublepost]
Should've just waited for the email to come through. You can always return the second phone if it comes to you.
That was my intention.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Not true. The reservation was gone before the second order. No one can find any trace of it. When I gave that number to Apple yesterday and last night, no one could find it.
[doublepost=1509257517][/doublepost]

That was my intention.
When things seem like a mess, that's sometimes when its time to take a step back and wait for them to sort themselves out rather than make it worse by making a rash decision.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Look, in the past when this happens, Apple will not take the second order: 'There's already an order pending for this account, do you want to proceed?' That didn't happen because my first order, the reservation, never processed. Apple could not find it. It was gone. I'm sure they would be happy if I didn't keep a copy so they could deny it ever existed but I have it.

I ordered the second phone 23 hours after the first order because the reservation was gone.
[doublepost=1509257898][/doublepost]
As I stated, Glitches or errors.
Perhaps but not on my part. When I make mistakes, I take steps to correct them. Apple has not despite promising to do so.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
"I'll email you in 10-15 minutes with my direct line."

That was 12 hours ago.

"I'll escalate this to a manager and have him contact you."

That was 8 hours ago.

"In a couple of hours, your order will be changed to 11/3."

That never happened. It won't
Then escalate your concern to customer relations and see if they can assist you from that point forward.

Reactions: ABC5S and pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Look, in the past when this happens, Apple will not take the second order: 'There's already an order pending for this account, do you want to proceed?' That didn't happen because my first order, the reservation, never processed. Apple could not find it. It was gone. I'm sure they would be happy if I didn't keep a copy so they could deny it ever existed but I have it.

I ordered the second phone 23 hours after the first order because the reservation was gone.
[doublepost=1509257898][/doublepost]

Perhaps but not on my part. When I make mistakes, I take steps to correct them. Apple has not despite promising to do so.
I’m not speaking about you. I’m just saying situations like this could happen.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Then escalate your concern to customer relations and see if they can assist you from that point forward.
How would you propose I do that? Nobody calls me back or emails me despite promises to do so.
[doublepost=1509258584][/doublepost]
I’m not speaking about you. I’m just saying situations like this could happen.
That's a fair observation. I see a few folks whose orders were cancelled because they changed addresses or emails or their was something wrong with their account. That's not my situation.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
How would you propose I do that? Nobody calls me back or emails me despite promises to do so.
Call the customer service department and speak with a representative, try to re-explain your situation somewhat and request to speak with somebody in customer relations to escalate your concern above someone as an entry-level representative. They might give you an email address or direct number to contact, but someone will contact you.

Reactions: pat500000

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Call the customer service department and speak with a representative, try to re-explain your situation somewhat and request to speak with somebody in customer relations to escalate your concern above someone as an entry-level representative. They might give you an email address or direct number to contact, but someone will contact you.
I've done that and 3 times been told that someone would contact me and nothing happened.