Apple Met Paramount and Sony Executives Last Week as it Flirts With Original Content

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple senior executive Eddy Cue, who oversees services such as iTunes and Apple Music, held discussions last week with Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures, two of the biggest film studios in Hollywood, according to the New York Post, but the iPhone maker's exact ambitions in the content space are still uncertain.

[​IMG]

The report suggested Apple is looking for a "transformative acquisition" and "not just a deal to buy TV shows," while an unnamed source is quoted as vaguely saying Apple is "preparing something big."

Apple has so far only flirted with original content, which it plans to distribute through Apple Music starting later this year.

It acquired the rights to Carpool Karaoke, for example, the popular segment from The Late Late Show with James Corden, which it plans to reboot as a series of sixteen half-hour episodes on Apple Music. The trailer for the show revealed it has a similar format of celebrity pairings singing along while driving.

Likewise, Apple's upcoming reality TV series Planet of the Apps will be released on a weekly basis in the Spring. On the show, hosted by Beats 1 radio host Zane Lowe, app developers compete for venture capital while receiving mentorship from influencers Gary Vaynerchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jessica Alba, and will.i.am.

Apple has sent mixed signals to Hollywood about its interest in original programming over the past few years, according to The Information.

Last year, it said Apple has met with film studios and producers about developing original TV shows to offer exclusively on iTunes, but Cue later said Apple is "not in the business of trying to create TV shows." Instead, he said Apple is willing to offer producers suggestions and guidance where possible.
    The report added that Apple is not interested in getting into expensive bidding wars over content with rivals such as Netflix and Amazon.

The Wall Street Journal recently said Apple plans to "build a significant new business in original television shows and movies," which it compared to the likes of HBO's Westworld and Netflix's Stranger Things. It agreed that Apple is not looking to compete with Netflix, but rather promote Apple Music.

"In terms of original content, we've put our toe in the water doing some original content for Apple Music, and that will be rolling out throughout the year," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO, on a conference call following the company's most recent earnings results. "We're learning from that and we'll go from there."

Reports outlining Apple's interest in original content have gained momentum over the past few years alongside the iPhone maker's much rumored but since shelved plans for a streaming TV service in the United States.

Article Link: Apple Met Paramount and Sony Executives Last Week as it Flirts With Original Content

2. Gildarts macrumors regular

Eddy Cue...

Is often hated on for his keynote skills.
    But I honestly think he is one of Apple's best executives.

True hustler.

I actually miss him in the keynotes.
    Say what you want but these new presenters like the Apple Pay VP lack personality. It just feels so artificial.

Eddy always livened up the place.

3. gugy macrumors 68030

Instead of original content, what about original Macs Apple?

4. 8281 macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm cynical, but my first thought is, "Please, Apple, just build great software and hardware and let the companies that are already good at this continue to produce content."

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Is this something Apple really wants to do and is passionate about, or is this something apple feels they need to get into just because of competition?

6. Thunderhawks Suspended

They have several duds these days when presenting.
    For example: The young lady showing off tvOS had me fall asleep and falling off my chair.
    Plus I don't care about the appleTV "features", just want the tv transmission to work.

And, make a remote where front/top or back/bottom can be distinguished without looking at it.

I used to anticipate Apple presentations and made sure that I could see them live.

These days I will wait until the video is posted, so I can fast forward.

7. LarryMagoo macrumors newbie

LarryMagoo

Hell, they can't even do iTunes right. Just look at Roon, it smokes iTunes for exactly what iTunes was made for. Sometimes it seems that Apple is just fat, dumb and happy to be the largest tech company without realizing how much bigger they could be if they refreshed their products way more often like they used to do.

8. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

I welcome any progress Apple makes on TV. But somehow I've lost trust in Apple delivering the goods that make it a top player. Look at education, the state of the overall hardware, software and services, lost of focus... They're falling behind in the whole range. This isn't a problem when your products are cheap but doesn't justify the fact they still charge premium. Unless a miracle will happen... seeing is believing.

9. stevet macrumors regular

Eddy - is that you?

10. robjulo macrumors 65816

What has he delivered on, in the last five years, that you would even remotely consider him to be a best executive?

11. B.K. macrumors regular

12. 2010mini macrumors 68040

What is with Apple? They obviously have the framework in place to offer exclusive content via iTunes. And they have the money to acquire content like everyone else has done. So why are they being so shy about getting in the game?

They are one of the few companies that can offer the content, the software, and the devices to view them on.

After the networks and content distributors shut down negotiations with Apple. They should've followed Netflix's lead.... namely create your own and disrupt the market.

13. B.K. macrumors regular

My vote is for Johny Srouji.

14. aplnub macrumors regular

Buy Netflix and let it run as is for the next 3 years.

Update MacPros and MacMinis.

15. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Apple is no longer a computer company that sells content and an ecosystem, they are a content and ecosystem company that happens to make computers to work within it. While Macs may remain part of their focus they probably don't see them as the major growth area worthy of ongoing large R&D expenditures.

16. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Seems Apple is focusing on the wrong things, and I'm just talking about TV. People aren't clamoring for better content. There already is a ton of great content out there. There are so many good shows/movies that I'm always trying to play catch up.

What I want is a better way of managing or viewing that content. The "TV" app is a step in the right direction for some of it, but doesn't cover "live" tv nor all the source providers.

17. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

18. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Roon is where iTunes should be today.

19. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

That's exactly what I'm wondering too. They dive into a market with big promises and after the years go by they forget to invest in those markets and let everybody else overhaul their efforts. It's not with ATV alone... is every category they're in. Seems they're clueless.

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

While they could what does it get them the can't already buy separately? They'd have to renegotiate the licenses for the existing, while having said they aren't interested in a bidding war, and get a handful of original content which seems to be what they want for iTunes. For original content they can go and hire talent to develop it for a lot less than buying and running Netflix on an ongoing basis.

As for Netflix technology, they already have streaming capability and can (an should) make it better on their own either with existing talent or buy buying companies with technology they want.

That would be nice.

21. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

I feel like Apple has missed many opportunities with television, mostly with the ATV4.

Apple could have done truly revolutionary things like they promised, but overall the ATV4 has been a let down.

Meanwhile, things like Planet of the Apps happen.

22. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

Name one area you think they're focussing on today? iPhone? Competition is already past iPhone offerings today.

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

The TV app was supposed to be a seamless mix of live, on-demand and streaming service content. But TV/Movie studios and networks, local affiliates and pay tv providers all want to keep the status quo for as long as they can. This currently affects all streaming services. And is the main reason they are all moving towards original content.

24. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It's not like Apple can't give you both. But yeah, someone always has to post "Give me whatever it is I want, instead."

To be cold and heartless (even though I have four Macs in my home)... Content can be sold to Apple customers, regardless of what Apple devices they own - the entire customer base, some 1 billion devices in service. Compare that to the potential sales volume of any one Mac model (especially the Mini or the Mac Pro, both of which are niche items).

Hardware needs software, software needs hardware. Lather, rinse, repeat.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That makes no sense because Macs are part of that ecosystem. Macs are also 9% of Apple's revenue. Services (that is the content portion) are another 9%. Hard to see how Apple doubles services revenue while systematically letting Macs dissolve. iPads have less growth than Macs. And iPhone growth is focusing on China and India where disposable incomes are considerable less than other industrialized countries. And content in China is severely regulated.