Apple Mini DisplayPort DVI Adapter. How long is it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thegeezer3, May 23, 2010.

1. thegeezer3 macrumors newbie

Hi Im about to buy my first macbookrpro and I want to link it up to my 24inch monitor. Ive seen the Mini DisplayPort DVI Adaptor on apples website but it looks so short like 3-4 inches. Im not sure how anyone could comfortably link up their mbp to their monitor with that. I just want to be able have my mbp sit near my monitor on my desk, not the other side of the room. Can anyone tell me how long the cable actually is?

2. j0nheck macrumors newbie

I haven't quite been in your situation, but based on what i've seen, the apple cable would be too short for your needs ( think it's about 8in max.). Perhaps consider buying a cable from monoprice, their 15ft cable is under $15. A steal. you'd probably want something shorter though (they also have 9ft cables)

3. thegeezer3 thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure if you misread my first post but i just want the mac next to my monitor so i can use both screens. I dont need a really long cable like 9ft.

I dont understand what use the mini display port adapter will serve. It looks so short. How do people connect the mbp to the monitor with only 3inches odd of lead and still manage to use both screens?

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The Mini DisplayPort adapter is just that: an adapter. It's not the actual cable you plug into your monitor − it's just the adapter that enable you to connect a cable.

It goes like this:
    Mini DisplayPort (female) is on your Mac
    Mini DisplayPort adapter (male) is what you plug into your Mac
    The other end of the Mini DisplayPort adapter is a DVI (female) port
    Plug in a DVI cable (male) into the Mini DisplayPort adapter (female)
    Plug the other end of the DVI cable (male) into the DVI port (female) on your monitor

Put it this way. If you want to connect your Mac to a monitor, you need both the Mini DisplayPort adapter and a DVI cable.

Hope that makes sense!

5. thegeezer3 thread starter macrumors newbie

that makes perfect sense! thanks for clearing that up for me.

not sure why i was assuming it went directly into the monitor from the mac.

Thanks again.