Apple Mini DVI to Video adapter question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sharifi14, Aug 27, 2008.

  1. sharifi14 macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2006
    Hi there,

    I would like to import my old home movies on VCR to my iMac (Intel). My VCR has a composite connection, is this the cable I need:
    Apple Mini DVI to Video Adapter

    I look forward to hearing from somebody soon! Many thanks,

  2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Sep 27, 2004
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

    That connector will not do what you are wanting to do. It is for taking images from your computer and putting them on a TV or projector. What you need is something for capturing video such as an eyetv (by Elgato). Hope this helps.
  3. sharifi14 thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2006
    I see, thanks for your advice. EyeTV is costly for what I want to do. Is this the cheapest/only way I am able to transfer my home movies to my iMac?
  4. mpshay macrumors 6502

    May 19, 2008
    There might be a cheaper way. Do you have access to a camcorder with a firewire output jack? Many of them have pass through video jacks that you could connect your VCR to. Then youse the firewire to get the video onto your Mac
  5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020


    Jun 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    A lot of times it is more cost efficient to have a professional service do the transfer for you, unless of course you have boxes and boxes of them to do.

    Digmypics is one such service that has gotten really good recommendations- and not only from me! I have had several hundred slides scanned and can't say enough about their professional and I think reasonably priced services. They recently came back from a devastating fire with all new equipment and can do a great job and you can check out their VHS transfers at

    I have only transferred a few VHS tapes but I am fortunate to have one of the camcorders like mpshay described- but if I did not I would sure be sending them to digmypics.
  6. sharifi14 thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2006
    I see what you're saying - thanks for the suggestion. However, the camcorder that I have is about 10 years old, so there aren't any USB or Firewire connections, just bog-standard video-out composite connections.

    I would consider using a service like this, but I am in the UK so cannot use Digmypics. I'm sure there are others in the UK, but I think or that kind of money I might as well buy an eyeTV.

    If anyone else has any suggestions, please do let me know!
  7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000


    Apr 10, 2007
    The only other thing I can suggest is to get a DV Bridge. But they run between $100-200US. I've used one to transfer VCR to my computer, and I also use it to pull video from my TV/DVR.

    Unfortunately, there aren't too many options. As far as I know, just the three mentioned:

    pass-through camcorder
    DV Bridge
    service like Digmypics

Share This Page