Apple missing boat with Apple TV, lost oppertunity

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PracticalMac, Jul 11, 2014.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

IMHO, Apple has a potential gold mine with AppleTV, but they still think of it as a hobby. :mad:

What no one in Apple watches TV??

Apple could sell it for $49, and easily make up the $50 loss in media sales. This "hobby" already netted $1 BILLION.

Wake up, Apple!

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I'm guessing you're not aware that much of what is available for sale is available FREE on the internet.

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Roku is a great device. But most of its channels is just fluff. Content is king no matter who's device it is you are using. unfortunately the cable companies have a tight grip on content. They have deals in place with the studios that boggle the mind. and anybody who wants to come in and disrupt that will find a hard road ahead.

Right now NONE of the streaming devices has done it "right" because they are all still limited in how they can bring you content. I think it best if Apple takes its time and get it as close to "Right" as possible.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Another Arm Chair CEO that doesn't really have a clue.

5. betman macrumors regular

In my case getting Apple TV has resulted in less iTunes purchases. I would spend 10x as much each month on iTunes if not for Hulu+/Netflix.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Quite the opposite for me. Netflix and Hulu are my main uses + my own library. I'm more likely to buy iTunes music and movies from my iPhone when I'm away from home. Why would I buy iTunes when I have 10000s of movies thru netflix and 1000s of movies on my media server.

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Lets see,
    Amazon Kindle Fire (first) came out in 2011 at cost (or even less then cost to make), sold in millions (despite quality), Amazon sales and market share expand greatly.

(and before you reply, why should it be different?)

Could be different now, but in past Netflix had a poor selection.

The bigger plus with ATV is easy access and display on big screen.

Also, put it this way:
    More ATV, more customers, more interest by media provides to tap into a growing market.