Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
My defective battery was literally going to explode. It was bluging out of the center and the metal cover was peeling off the back. My computer would conk out after it hits 50% cpu load.

Anyway, I got my replacement battery within 1 business day so I was really happy. But then, the next day, I got another package from Apple and its another brand new battery! I was thinking "Oh, they must've sent me two different packages..." but when I read the shipping label, everything is printed exactly the same...down to the ACI ref, delivery, customer, package ID, etc #s.

So I was wondering if I would get charged for two batteries if I only returned one.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
dhan said:
My defective battery was literally going to explode. It was bluging out of the center and the metal cover was peeling off the back. My computer would conk out after it hits 50% cpu load.

Anyway, I got my replacement battery within 1 business day so I was really happy. But then, the next day, I got another package from Apple and its another brand new battery! I was thinking "Oh, they must've sent me two different packages..." but when I read the shipping label, everything is printed exactly the same...down to the ACI ref, delivery, customer, package ID, etc #s.

So I was wondering if I would get charged for two batteries if I only returned one.
Give them a call and let them know what happend. Honesty is Best!

Who knows...maybe they will say to keep it...or maybe not, but you still wont have to worry about whether or not they are ever going to charge you.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
its free for all, super excitement special event from apple, congrats~~~~
i dont think they will charge you twice.

jottoh12

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
The 2nd mac battery syndrome

So...DHAN, Whatever happened in the end? I am in the same boat, apple did not what battery I was talking about. I am tempted to go ahead and place in service. perhaps this is the fallout from so many batteries needing exchange?

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
So...DHAN, Whatever happened in the end? I am in the same boat, apple did not what battery I was talking about. I am tempted to go ahead and place in service. perhaps this is the fallout from so many batteries needing exchange?

If I were you, and got two for the price of one in error, I would call Apple and notify them of the error. Keeping it is keeping something you know doesn't belong to you, which is stealing.

The fact that Apple has had to replace so many batteries, is an expensive overall error on their part, and who knows how this is going to effect future pricing for all of Apple's products in the future. It's not like Apple Products are cheap *now*.

I think the statement, "I am tempted to go ahead and place in service" is your way of saying you're tempted to keep it and not notify Apple of the error. Doing so would make you a thief. I hope you do the right thing and notify Apple of their error.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
keep us posted on what happens, it would be VERY cool if they let you keep it

have you opened both?

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
just call in. more often then not, they'll just be like "oh our mistake, keep the extra."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.