Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mugwump

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2004
Apple is really missing the mobile computing world.

In developing countries this is the OS of choice, using small devices with resolutions greater than the original Mac.

With my Treo I have email, internet, MS word and Excel, and most other daily apps.

But Palm is moving away from Mac support, leaving it up to third party products that have spotty Mac support.

Wither Apple?

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Whats the point of Apple becoming a cell phone network provider?

It'll have little uptake ( world wide ) because Apple will restrict it to the states, and it probably won't be cheap, either.

I really hope this is a fake.

Comment

mugwump

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2004
Cellphone network provider? What does this mean?

Virgin does it, by simply renting out the Sprint Network in the US.

Apple runs an entire consumer marketplace, from stores to internet music paradigms, to online subscriptions services, to 24 hour corporate support products. They are making billions and almost half the revenues of Microsoft.

They can't handle mobile OS customers also?

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
So I've done some digging for those who didn't look at the original stories. Here is the scoop.

The phone is a Samsung SGH x497 merely with what appears to be an Apple branded SIM in it. Apple would simply be using Cingular's network to provide their Mobile Me service. This is not the iPhone.

Comment

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
It's an Apple gift card someone cut up to make it look like a SIM.

Comment

askthedust

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2003
enlightenment
don't care about the phone...

Truly mobile computing may be the ticket here. a .mac subscription that can be accessed without wires connecting your tower at home with you on the road.

Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Look for the iDrive at a Kia dealer near you..

Attachments

• iDrive.jpg
    iDrive.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 95
Comment

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
berkleeboy210 said:
that looks like an itunes store card to me.

Yahtzee! There is the solution right there. That is the only place Apple uses color any more. Other products are black and white. And besides do you think Apple would have anything to do with a protruding antenna?

Comment

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
breaking news

yellow said:

[AP] Today, after Kia's announcement of new iDrive, BMW announced that it will bring a suit against Kia for trademark infringement. More news will be coming up soon.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
alywa said:
I'd believe it more if it was shot in an elevator.
Agreed :D

Cut up an iTunes card, stick it in a phone, put it on the floor of an elevator, and focus on Mars before taking the shot. A smoke machine is also recommended.

WHY would anyone send out a TEST phone for a MVNO, using an existing phone with the existing Cingular network? Yeah, THAT sounds like Apple secrecy.

Occam's Razor says.... fake!

Comment

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
yellow said:

That car is so obviously fake, the picture is nowhere near blurry enough for that to be real.

Comment

the_ki

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
So the conversation was...

"So you agree to this NDA."

Yes.

"You are one of only fifty beta-testers for our new MVNO."

Got it.

"Our CEO is very serious about secrecy and security."

So I've heard.

"So you will do nothing to compromise this secret."

Mum's the word.

"Good. Now here's your bright neon green SIM card emblazoned with our logo."

Of course. No one will notice that.

:rolleyes:

Comment

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
its always funny how this breaking new stories are always blurry pics. The guy took 2 shots and both were blurry!!!! What are the chances.:confused:

Comment

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
askthedust said:
Truly mobile computing may be the ticket here. a .mac subscription that can be accessed without wires connecting your tower at home with you on the road.
Pipe dream? Yes. But good idea? I think so. Mobile internet for your macbook, everywhere you get cell service? At EVDO speed? Sign me up.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's the excited shaking that causes the blur. We're lucky they even found the shutter button :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.