Apple Mobile Store?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider reports that Apple Japan has quietly launched an "Apple Store Mobile" which is essentially an mobile phone interface for the Apple Store -- allowing individuals to purchase Apple hardware through their mobile phones.

According to Appleinsider, the page is only accessible through certain mobile phones in Japan.

This appears to be a regional project only at this time.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
I don't see how this is useful. Why you buy anything as expensive as a Mac or iPod with a phone? Those kind of purchases seem like the type where you sit down at a computer and get everything straight or go to an Apple Store.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Macaddicttt said:
I don't see how this is useful. Why you buy anything as expensive as a Mac or iPod with a phone? Those kind of purchases seem like the type where you sit down at a computer and get everything straight or go to an Apple Store.
People buy expensive things via mail order all the time ( Apple Store online for instance). Using cell phone is just a different interface, thats all.

Personally, I think that is really innovative.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Macaddicttt said:
It gets more impulse buyers.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
yet another addition to the unpractical list of thing to have/do with a mobile phone (or am I just old fashioned and not at all impressed with cameraphones/mobileinternet at such slow rates...??)

sorry if I just don't see the use for this...

:edit: I read it too fast and forget to see its there allready & its in Japan... yes in Japan this really makes sense... my brothers ex-girlfriend is Japanese & seen how she and her sisters used mobile phones I really think this will be a hit in Japan, but I can assue you here in Belgium it wouldn't.

how do we buy our mac? well we go and check the apple store online, choose our system we like, printout the specs, and go to a shop to buy it because we can ask cheaper hardware expansions than apple offers :p (or at least that's how I do it for my studio and some friends who have their own company do it this way too)

from all the apple users I know... my brother is the only one who ever did buy online at the applestore... he did the day the first 12" Pb came out... and since he knows from me that I can order it with cheaper expansion options than apple does... he calls me (that's how he upgraded to airport extreme...it was 30 euro's less to buy the card trough my supplier then to get it at apple...)

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Jo-Kun said:
yet another addition to the unpractical list of thing to have/do with a mobile phone (or am I just old fashioned and not at all impressed with cameraphones/mobileinternet at such slow rates...??)

sorry if I just don't see the use for this...

With a good site design, and decent modern infrastructure, this sort of thing is really neat to use on mobiles. The rates are anything but slow these days. 3G GSM services have been around for a while now in the UK and Europe, and even longer in Japan. My Orange 3G service is 384Kbit/sec -- more than fast enough for the light-weight sites which are designed for small screen display.

Past implementations (I'm thinking 'walled garden' WAP or open internet over standard GSM-Data 9.6Kbit/sec or GSM-HSCSD 14.4Kbit/sec) was painful to do anything with, but recent developments are making 'always on, anwhere you go' broadband a tantalising prospect.

[edit: I just read your edit!]

Funny ... most of the people over here in the UK that I know who've bought Apple gear have done it via www.apple.com/ukstore/ Of course, now we've got the London AppleStore, things have changed a bit. I bought my iSight and iPod Shuffle from there instead of waiting for it to be delivered from the online store. The bricks 'n mortar store's great for accessories and software, but I'll still be getting my BTO Macs from the online store.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I'm left shrugging at this one. It's *kind* of cool, but Apple's really just keeping up with the Japanese Joneses; SMS and intensive use of the Internet on mobile phones is much more prevalent in Japan than in the United States.

What I hope it develops into is a more organic iTMS that allows you to purchase at each of your five allowed devices and sync your purchases to your other devices, e.g., downloading the new Weezer single on your Motorola Whatever and then iTunes on your home computer downloading it the next time you use it. I was actually surprised when I got my first iPod two years ago that I couldn't maintain parallel databases of purchased tracks on my office and home computers.

I will consider using the new Mororola iTunes phone, but the killer app that will really get people moving is the ability to buy tracks that sync back to their home iTunes database and ultimately to their iPod.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
brap said:
The phone in the poster shot looks...interesting.
Damn! Had my hopes up!

macrumors said:
The coalition of Apple and Motorola was announced in July at a press event by Motorola, presented by Steve Jobs himself via a video link to the conference. Jobs tried to be clear the phone would not compete with the iPod, but would be more of an iPod accessory.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Macaddicttt said:
Japan has different internet usage patterns to the rest of the world, and is the world leader in what is offered on cell phones (they had color screens six years ago, and had camera phones four years ago.) There are many, many people with internet-ready phones but no desktop computer, who use their phone as their primary internet access point.

I'm not surprised Apple have done this - the only surprise is it wasn't done earlier.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Bay Area, Ca.
They need to pull this off in the EU -- I hear in some parts people would rather SMS their kids a message than say it to them across the table -- is how obsessed with their awful Euro phones they are.. :p

I honestly HATE using mobile internet on cellphones -- had it for a while, was kinda nice to fill in boredom, but I realized listeningto my ipod + reading a book (on paper), or IMing off the phone tended to make me dizzy -- unfortunately this seems to be something between the ipod AND reading.. as it happens with or without either.. damn.

Still, mobile phone internet is a pain in the butt.. I once felt the desire to IM someone quite badly I was doing it while walking down the street (tricky job, but doable) ... but still very inconvinient. I don't know why people are so pushed on doing everything with tiny screens out there.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
BornAgainMac said:
I think I can wait until I get home before buy my Apple product of the day.
Yeah seriously.

(waiting on a bus): "Ooooh, I can't wait to get a new Powerbook.....not even long enough to get home and do it from a proper computer!"

zingboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2005
Abstract said:
Yeah seriously.

(waiting on a bus): "Ooooh, I can't wait to get a new Powerbook.....not even long enough to get home and do it from a proper computer!"
Since when are Powerbooks (or big ticket items) the only thing Apple sells? Sometimes I need something and have no time to get to the Apple store, am not near a computer and it'd be nice to have the option to get a new iPod charger(or whatever) while commuting.

Beyond that, these are cultures that have fully embraced mobile technology, are buying sodas with them, making friends with them, cooking breakfast with them. Why not give direct shopping access. Many people here already compare prices while shopping with Google SMS. What if you could order the lower priced item right away?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
zingboy said:
Since when are Powerbooks (or big ticket items) the only thing Apple sells?
Who knows... maybe Apple has something up their sleeve. The only small item thing Apple could sell via wirless that I would consider buying... is a song.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm not all that impressed by the picture. Will wait to see if we hear something at NAB or WWDC.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
You have to keep in mind that Japan is not like the US and even EU when it comes to phone and internet usage. My in-laws are still on a dial up that charges by the minute, but the cell phone has free internet.
Lots of ads have cell phone internet addresses on them that allow you to buy it on the spot and have it delivered.
Credit cards are still not universally accepted or trusted, so many Japanese consumers prefer to buy things on their phone and pay for it on their phonebill.
Another example of why this makes total sense in Japan and leaves most US Mac users scratching their heads: Three years ago Tsutaya (Japan's equivalent of Blockbuster) had a fully operational system in place that could figure out when you were getting out of the subway on your way home and SMS you a coupon for a specific movie that matched your renting habits. You could then order it on the phone and just pick it up at the front counter or show your phone at checkout for the discount. Not a generic spam at a certain time of day, but knowing when YOU were on your to YOUR home and what movie you would most likely want to rent. And unlike us, this wasn't an invasion of privacy or Big Brother, but a real cool convenience.
That Apple is only now launching a mobile phone commerce site is kind of surprising in that I would have thought they would have had this available years ago.