Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divang

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I just had a technical question about the model no. and model id

I was looking on wiki and looking at the model # and it listed mines as a MA610LL, thats comparing all the hardware and such taht came with the system with that on wiki.

Then I saw another website that tells me where to find the model number on the macbook pro's body, which is on the underside next to some writing, but that model number comes out as A1211

So whats the difference between MA610LL and A1211, why are there to different numbers?

I read on another website that one is referred to as the Apple Model No. and one is the Gestalt/Moded ID? Whats the difference between these two numbers and also, is this MA610LL listed anywhere on the computers body? if not where do you find it?

Sorry for the random question just wondering what each means and what their meant to identify since they both describe the same model i guess? and where can the MA610LL part be found?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I just had a technical question about the model no. and model id

I was looking on wiki and looking at the model # and it listed mines as a MA610LL, thats comparing all the hardware and such taht came with the system with that on wiki.

Then I saw another website that tells me where to find the model number on the macbook pro's body, which is on the underside next to some writing, but that model number comes out as A1211

So whats the difference between MA610LL and A1211, why are there to different numbers?

I read on another website that one is referred to as the Apple Model No. and one is the Gestalt/Moded ID? Whats the difference between these two numbers and also, is this MA610LL listed anywhere on the computers body? if not where do you find it?

Sorry for the random question just wondering what each means and what their meant to identify since they both describe the same model i guess? and where can the MA610LL part be found?

The MA610LL is your configuration model, so in your case it would indicate the 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive

The A1211 is the body type which means it can shared with other configurations from the same product generation, so all 15" MBPs from Late 2006 should have the same body type.

Again:
Body type means it can be interchangeable between computers of the same generation
Model number changes onces you buy a computer with a different configuration.

divang

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
The MA610LL is your configuration model, so in your case it would indicate the 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive

The A1211 is the body type which means it can shared with other configurations from the same product generation, so all 15" MBPs from Late 2006 should have the same body type.

Again:
Body type means it can be interchangeable between computers of the same generation
Model number changes onces you buy a computer with a different configuration.

oh, so where is the model configuration printed? since the body type is printed on the actual bottom of the laptop?

is it also printed somewhere on the laptop or is it shown on the OS under some info?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.