Apple modem is unsupported on this computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firmansolutions, Mar 10, 2011.

1. firmansolutions macrumors member

firmansolutions

Hi,

Anyone else getting this message with a new MacBookPro 15" 2.2ghz and the old faithful Apple Modem (the tiny stick one)?

The error dialog with the message pops up at startup time and the reference to it has been removed from System Preferences after restarting from the TimeMachine restore.

Would it be possible to lift the relevant drivers etc from my old MBP before I reset it?

Surely I wont need to buy another modem.:eek:

Cheers
    Eric

2. wct097 macrumors 6502

I honestly cannot imagine using a modem in this millennium. That said, it seems as though it's only compatible with 32bit mode. I don't know, but perhaps your machine is running in 64bit mode.

3. firmansolutions thread starter macrumors member

firmansolutions

thats a great tip. I understand that these new MBP default to 64bit so I will look into it.

It is a frustration that I need to use a dialup modem, but there you go. I cant control my client.

Thanks

4. wct097 macrumors 6502

From what I googled, you can boot into 32 bit mode pretty easily. I'd try that and see if it works.

5. firmansolutions thread starter macrumors member

firmansolutions

You are a legend wct097

Thanks for that. Booted up by pressing 3 + 2 keys, unplugged and re-inserted the modem and up and running.

Fortunately, I dont need to use it that often, so I can run in 64bit mode most of the time and reboot into 32bit when I need to.

Thanks again. :D