Apple monitor on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by takisanar, Feb 10, 2013.

1. takisanar macrumors newbie

I want to try connect either thunderbolt 27" or the 24" apple monitor on pc with win7. I will connect it with mini display port... It's beter the mini bp to be on the motherboard or on the gpu??... Do i need anything else... Pleaseee help...

2. simsaladimbamba

The Apple Thunderbolt Display (ATD) will only work with Thunderbolt (TB) equipped computers, which as of now are only Macs (there may be some exceptions, but there are no GPUs with Thunderbolt). Thus you cannot use the ATD with a Windows machine or Mac from 2010 and before.

The LED Apple Cinema Displays (ACD), the 24" and 27" models, can work with a Mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort equipped GPU though, and if you have a dedicated GPU, then it is best to use that GPU instead of the one on your motherboard.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

You can run Windows 7 on a Mac, either in Boot Camp or virtualized through Parallels or VM Ware and it looks great on the Thunderbolt Display, but you do need a TB equipped Mac (2011 or newer). No way to run a TBD from a PC.

4. Vidivici macrumors member

5. simsaladimbamba

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Interesting, but if you read that article it's still not plug and play with the TBD. The PC needs the drivers to get TBD to work properly, and Apple hasn't released them for non-Mac Windows machines. You have to get them out of Bootcamp, which requires a Mac or access to a Mac. It makes more sense to just run Windows on a Mac instead, at least to me. (unless you're a hard core Windows gamer)

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

If you have a thunderbolt motherboard, you can use the connector on the GPU or the motherboard. If not, always use the GPU connection.

I've got the 27" Apple Cinema Display, got it specifically so it would also be compatible with my Windows machine. (I'd much rather have total compatibility than an ethernet and firewire port and one less connector, the display is exactly the same, still has magsafe, and still has the same great IPS panel).

Works great on Windows 7. My Windows PC has a 7970, and connects to the 27" Cinema Display and another 23" display. I use the Cinema Display mostly for photo editing and that sort of thing, but, gaming on it is pretty awesome too!