apple monitors any time soon, or what...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greendragon, Nov 27, 2007.

1. greendragon macrumors regular

i bought a macbook this past june, and a dell monitor. i'm hoping apple will someday bring back a monitor for us. what gives! i know dell sales a ton of monitors, and a good warrenty with it. how come apple doesn't try and tap into some of that market, like it has with the computer? i'd love to spend some money to replace my dell monitor, i like the :apple: logo better.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

:confused::confused:

When was the last time you looked at the Apple Store site?

They've never stopped selling monitors.

3. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

I really wish Apple would come out with some kind of MP3 player, they can do so much better than the Zune.

Sorry.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. greendragon thread starter macrumors regular

this is true, but how old is :apple: monitor technolgy, when compared to something similar? i guess :apple: could always sale an imac minus the computer, right?

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Like the current monitors they sell?

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I think it was easy enough to infer they meant a NEW monitor... come on guys...

They are pretty overdue, I wouldn't mind seeing updates in the new year that offer more display inputs than just one DVI. If not I'll be going for that new Dell 3008.

8. greendragon thread starter macrumors regular

maybe i should have spelled out NEW monitors! also, a worthy warrenty, and that includes dead pixels. all i'm saying, bring out fresh updates once in awhile, make people want to stop buying dell monitors.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, that makes more sense.

Sometimes I think the LCDs that Apple sells is, like the Airport Extreme, simply to sell to people's Apple Logo Vanity, as well as prey upon people's lack of knowledge.

I'm guessing that a sizable portion of people who buy these products don't actually know that they can get a similar monitor for much less from another company.

One thing I will say though, Apple LCD resolutions looks WAY better with multiple resolutions on both Macs and PCs in comparison to say a Dell or an HP monitor. Those seems to only look good in their max resolution and all other res' look horrible.

10. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Apple's current lineup is wonderful, just buy one when you need it!

11. nickane macrumors 6502

There was a thread a while back (maybe a year) about the quality of apple monitors that asserted, off the back of some considerable research, that apple monitors smacked the crap out of dell monitors for most professional applications, despite ppl always claiming they're exactly the same.

What the guy explained was that there are 3 popular kinds of LCD: TN (the worst and cheapest with no viewing angle), S-WPA (or something like that that that Dell uses) and S-IPS (Apple's kind). Quality on the last 2 was comparable except that Dell's preferred technology is good for response time, but the contrast ratio diminishes very quickly unless you're looking at the screen dead-on. Apple's preferred tech may not be snappy (hence why gamers are always bashing them, and buying dell's - not to mention that the inputs on the dell's cater to that market with component sockets etc.) but the contrast ratio is more even across a wider viewing angle, hence their predominance in the FX/GFX industries.

As the buyer's guide explains, apple tends not to update the screens so much as discount them intermittently to keep them in line with dell's prices. That said, with over 15 months since the last Mac Pro update, we could be forgiven for expecting a new enclosure, which would doubtless mean the screens got an update too. Besides, Apple doesn't seem to sell the isight much anymore as its free with most macs, so i would expect them to include a free camera for Pro users too. They also need an HDCP-compliant HDMI port for the arrival of Blu-ray and other such tech.

So, yeah, hopefully, new screens at macworld alongside long overdue Mac Pro's.

As for the better deal, you're expecting... my understanding is Apple is not very helpful when it comes to dead pixels, but that's to do with the attitude of a given company and not a policy likely to change. Apple's CS is pretty touch-and-go, altho I understand that it beats dell's in most respects, if not on that particular quibble. As with all things Apple, its up to you, the consumer/apple fan, as to whether or not the premium they put on their product is worth what it has over the competition. Apple probably doesn't expect your fear of dead pixels to sway the average buyer's decision enough for them to bother with a better policy.

12. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

New ACD's..

Very good chance we will see the new Apple Displays in 1st Quarter '08.