Apple Monitors: Used 30" or ne 28" LED LCD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whyrichard, Mar 1, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I am thinking of a monitor upgrade and am trying to decide between a used 30" apple monitor or a new LED 28" apple monitor...

Whacha guys think?

thanks,
    r.

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I got a used 30" ACD on craigslist for $500... I was shopping for a 23" to match the one I already have but saw this for the same price and pounced on it.

I honestly think now that it's TOO big, although the colors on the matte display are simply beautiful. I'm considering selling it and buying the 23" I originally wanted. It blocks out all the light from the huge window my desk sits in front of...

But when it comes to glossy vs. matte finish, I would go matte every single time, and would choose the 30" ACD over the 28" LCD if they are comparable in price.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no 28" LED display from Apple, it's 24". 30" is very old and horribly overpriced but if you can get it for good price, it's of course better than the 24" if you need a lot screen estate.

4. polotska macrumors 6502

The glossy displays are almost unusable for me, so I would go with the 30"—but obviously not everyone has as extreme a reaction to the glossy as I do.

5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

30" all the way. It's a much better display, that will also allow you to have dark colors on the screen without it becoming a mirror.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, there are the 27" iMacs, which can be used as a monitor if you have a Mac with a displayport output on it. And actually, a low-end 27" isn't much more expensive than the 30" ACD.

That probably wasn't what the OP was talking about, though.