Apple more closed than Microsoft

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by podiki, Dec 13, 2008.

1. podiki macrumors member

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

its true. but it hasn't really affected me so I don't care.

3. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

4. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Read the article, so what, I like it that way. At the end of the day, I know I was productive, nothing gave me any trouble.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is super old news and if it truly comes as a shock to anyone then I want to know what rock they're hiding under.

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Oy! I'm reading a book called The future of the internet and how to stop it and the author talks about generatively over and over again. He talks about how AOL and CompuServ were closed systems. How the pure internet is awesome... blah blah blah.

He talks about how IBM used a Hollerith method. That is - licensing out the use of there closed, proprietary computers. They did a great job at what they were meant to do, but not much more since third-part people could not r the system or run code other than IBM code on it. They would lease these machines for like $10k/month. IBM would run and maintain the machine for the company.
    out

That's how the computer had it's beginnings. Our current systems are by the historic definition, open. we have the ability to run code from anywhere that we want.

So much question is, what makes a mac a closed system? Surely the iPhone and iPod are closed. But they are electronic appliances. They have one purpose and do that well. On my mac, I have the ability to go out and obtain any code I want - free or not free, malicious or a great app - and run it.

For those interested in the book, here is the Creative Common license copy - i.e., the author put up a non-encrypted, non-drm copy of the book. It's a PDF. (of course, you could always buy it from Amazon too.)

Cover:
    [​IMG]
    Book.

The intro talks a lot about the iPhone.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well yes, and no.

On the Mac, i'd argue not as much. I can delete Safari all I like, no love for deleting IE.
    Plus OS X has a lot of code based on open source stuff

For the iPhone and iPod, yes...iPhone is much more locked down the Windows Mobile....Zune vs iPod are both pretty locked down

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I love that House avatar. You know, Hue Laurie is hosting SNL tonight.

The intro to that book was written before the SDK. But even with the SDK, I think it's an intermediary device. Not exactly an electronic appliance since it is customizable, but not as much as a computer.

9. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

it does bug me....but that's why my macbook almost exclusively runs linux :D

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Register normally dwells in the deep end, so we can't say they've gone off it -- so in this instance, let's just say that they've gone completely under water.

The writer unwisely starts off the piece trying to engage us emotionally with terminology like the "Church of Jobs" and the "evil M$ empire," and then asserts with no justification whatsoever that "many believe" that Apple is a "warm, cuddly and open company." Even if we knew what the hell that meant -- who, exactly believes this? It's a straw-man job, plain and simple. What a terrible way to start a piece which purports to be an "objective assessment."

Then we get to the crux of the matter -- whether Apple is "closed" or "open." Do we even know what these terms mean in this context? Not really. That's left to your own imagination, and the imaginations of their "survey" respondents, who were asked to comment on openness based on their own personal and completely subjective definitions of the terms. At best, a waste of time.

It only gets worse from there. Who is this "regulator" of which he speaks, which prevents Microsoft from these horrible transgressions of which Apple is accused? On what basis can he say that "the regulator" has not "targeted it yet?" If this is somehow inevitable, then why is that so, pray tell?

I could go on, but why bother? The article is just undiluted hogwash.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Apple may operate in a closed way, but their OS has far more open source technologies than Windows.

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Well said

13. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Its the closed part that make the user experience better.

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

whether Apple is more closed than M$, I don't really give a hoot.

I already know why I prefer Apple software over M$ anyway - whether it's closed up more or less doesn't really matter if the quality of the software is better. Given the choice between open source/lame experience or closed/better experience, I can't imagine choosing the latter.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

do i wish apple wasnt as restrictive hardware wise? of course

however, the ONLY reason im a apple user is for OSX. i could care less about ipods or macbooks or skinny imacs

with that said, i built myself a hackintosh and i love it. better osx experience since better hardware as i picked out each part to my liking

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Oooh...I might have to catch it, or check it out on hulu or youtube

17. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

11:30 NBC. :)

18. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

apple's motto? an small arrogant closed propretary-vision company
    with willings to conquer the world with closed proprietary devicez
    well no that surprising they have been equal for years.

19. wheelhot macrumors 68020

This thing has been known for a VERY long time already...no surprises here :cool:

20. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Don't you mean the former? :)

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What "thing" is that? Reading this article and many of the comments here leaves me wondering just what "thing" is even being discussed.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I saw most of it...pretty funny stuff...kinda weird to see him with a British accent(i was introduced to him in House,and thats the majority of where I've seen him act)

23. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I know. It is always odd seeing that. He's in 101 Dalmatians. That's the first time I saw him. I believe he is a Cruella D'vile henchman. The Brit accent is there too.