Apple more generous about cracked screens now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daihard, Oct 30, 2010.

1. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Or was i just lucky?

I dropped my iPhone 4 this evening. Got a huge crack on the front screen. Since it happened at the mall where the Apple Store was, I took it right in. I was ready to hear them say "It's going to cost $$$ to replace it." Wished my wife had not been there with me.

The genius guy took a look at the damage and said he would see what could be done about it because "you've just bought your iPhone and the crack doesn't look all that bad." He was wrong on both counts. The crack was huge and noticeable, and I'd had the phone for over 4 months, but hey, I wasn't going to correct him.

As it turned out, I got a free replacement. The paperwork said it was $199, but the "due amount" was $0. I had to ask him if he was sure, to which he replied "Absolutely, just try not to do that again" with a smile. Within 10 seconds, I was smiling too!

So... was I just lucky today? Or is Apple being more generous about these broken iPhone screens due possibly to the fierce competition coming from Android?

2. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Yea. Terrible assumption- more replacements because of android competition? I think it's more reasonable that your genius got laid the night before, maybe that morning too :D.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got lucky and got a cool rep that hooked you up.
    Always helps to be nice and polite but it wont always work on getting a free screen.

4. chembox macrumors 6502a

No offense, but I think your luck actually did have something to do with your wife being there. :cool:

5. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

LOL. I meant Apple being nicer to attract more customers due to more competition. Whatever the reason, I am pretty happy. :)

6. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Haha, that may actually be true. I once got pulled over on the freeway. My wife was in the passenger's seat. I got away with a verbal warning. :)

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Mine was replaced for free as well. I was told it would be the only time.

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Luck

9. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Reminds me of that move "Hustle and Flow"

Terrance Howard- "Now she's with me, but she don't necessarily belong to me" lol

10. slayer41 macrumors newbie

My friend has an iPhone 3GS with a cracked screen and she went in for other issues with her phone and they put a new screen right on for her no questions asked.