Apple Mouse trackball...stinks.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lordj, Nov 27, 2009.

1. lordj macrumors newbie

The Apple Mouse (the one before the Mighty Mouse) really is a clunker. I'm on my third mouse in less than two years and the trackball stopped working each time. Poor quality indeed. Was looking to upgrade to the Mighty Mouse but not sure now. Apple never was very good in the mouse dept. (remember the "puck"?). So, is there a fix for this trackball or any suggestions on third party mice? Thanks.

jim

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

If you are sick of the track ball get a Magic Mouse (link).
    Ive had mine for 2 weeks now and I love it.
    No trackball to worry about, and although people do complain about the loss of expose and dashboard buttons, you quickly find other ways of getting to those.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

logitech makes great mice; I'd check out their offerings if you're tired of Apple. Though the magic mouse does seem (from my few minutes with it) to be a big improvement over the model you have.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I second the Magic Mouse.

rkmac, if you want to get more functionality from your Magic Mouse, you should get BetterTouchTools. It enables three finger swipes and allows you to assign them to expose or dashboard if you want.

5. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I just got frustrated with 3 finger taps etc. I found even when I enabled expose and spaces for 2 finger left and right swipes, I was barely even using them anymore.
    I prefer just to push buttons on my keyboard now. Or holding down command and clicking to open a new tab in firefox.
    And yeah, the Magic Mouse is great :)

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I hated the trackball as well. Not sure if I am willing to give Apple another chance. Logitech mice does not look as nice but certainly a lot more functional.

7. lordj thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the comments, everyone. Thanks. I'll probably look in to Logitech's mice. I use Expose a lot and the reviews aren't stellar for the Magic Mouse for that feature.