Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
A while back, MacRumors reported that Apple had moved teams from iOS development to OSX... and I believe it!

OSX Yosemite Public Beta... running BEAUTIFULLY on my 2012 Mac Mini.

iOS8 Beta 4... a steaming pile of horse dung! Crashing apps, poor battery, accelerometer glitches.

Apple better shuffle some devs BACK to iOS... ASAP!

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
A while back, MacRumors reported that Apple had moved teams from iOS development to OSX... and I believe it!

OSX Yosemite Public Beta... running BEAUTIFULLY on my 2012 Mac Mini.

iOS8 Beta 4... a steaming pile of horse dung! Crashing apps, poor battery, accelerometer glitches.

Apple better shuffle some devs BACK to iOS... ASAP!

comparing it with iOS 7 betas, defo it's a steaming pile of horse dung.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
iOS 7 was largely cosmetic changes. iOS 8 brings many new technologies, so it's not surprising to see that the 8 betas are less stable than 7.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They do that all the time, they moved the OS X folks to iOS a few times to make sure that iOS was able to make the deadlines.

Its great that apple has the flexibility.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
iOS 7 was largely cosmetic changes.

Nope.

They do that all the time, they moved the OS X folks to iOS a few times to make sure that iOS was able to make the deadlines.

Its great that apple has the flexibility.

I agree. However, it's been my experience that shifting resources like that is a desperation move only meets a deadline and does not result in a better product. Apple can certainly hire enough staff to cover their projects, unless the code overlap is so great that someone can effortlessly jump between the two platforms.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
It doesn't really matter until iOS 8 is released to the public. By then the beta could be stable as all heck. Actually, my phone has been stable besides a couple springboard crashes and a few glitch here and there but that's expected.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Nope.

I agree. However, it's been my experience that shifting resources like that is a desperation move only meets a deadline and does not result in a better product. Apple can certainly hire enough staff to cover their projects, unless the code overlap is so great that someone can effortlessly jump between the two platforms.

It has nothing to do with "desperation" or whether they can afford to hire more staff. Apple's best developers and engineers work on pretty much EVERY project. And they especially jump back and forth between iOS and OSX. It was designed this way so that the technologies and methods they develop will be consistent between software resulting in better integration, less bugs, and better done features that can be more easily added "Back to the Mac" or vice versa because the engineers who developed the features for one platform knows it best and can implement it on all platforms better than anyone else.

There was an article some time ago that went into more detail about this.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Wow new Technologies huh? what are they?

Are you kidding? Over 4000 new APIs for developers and new frameworks and additions. Metal, CloudKit, HomeKit, SpriteKit, SceneKit, Extensions (6 types like Today view widgets, Custom keyboards, etc), Touch ID Framework, HealthKit, Handoff... I could go on and on and on but my hands are getting tired :rolleyes:

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
Are you kidding? Over 4000 new APIs for developers and new frameworks and additions. Metal, CloudKit, HomeKit, SpriteKit, SceneKit, Extensions (6 types like Today view widgets, Custom keyboards, etc), Touch ID Framework, HealthKit, Handoff... I could go on and on and on but my hands are getting tired :rolleyes:

I am not trying to be ignorant but adding the word kit to some other word doesn't make it a new technology. To be honest most of these feature are available via Cydia.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I am not trying to be ignorant but adding the word kit to some other word doesn't make it a new technology. To be honest most of these feature are available via Cydia.
Lol. It's in Cydia so it's not new? Cydia is on 0.000000000000001% of all iPhones out there. No one cares. It's new to iOS, and they integrate deeply into iOS (which is something that it is impossible using Cydia).

It's easy to make something work at 90% (which is your typical Cydia hack). But making it work flawless takes probably 10x as much effort. Especially the Extensions have major implications.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012

Cydia is irrelevant unless you are in the jailbreak section of the boards. 97/8% of people aren't jailbroken. We aren't concerned with what's available in Cydia.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006

Let's just stop right here. Widgets and Touch ID are one thing but to claim that cydia has any relevance to the features that ios 8 brings to developers and apps is a joke.

No crappy cydia substrate garbage does what the new APIs and extensibility features do for developers, and ultimately consumers.

Likewise all of the new *kit features, metal, and continuity.

So no. Cydia adds a few toys. But let's not pretend "most of" these features are available for jail broken iphones.

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
It has nothing to do with "desperation" or whether they can afford to hire more staff. Apple's best developers and engineers work on pretty much EVERY project. And they especially jump back and forth between iOS and OSX. It was designed this way so that the technologies and methods they develop will be consistent between software resulting in better integration, less bugs, and better done features that can be more easily added "Back to the Mac" or vice versa because the engineers who developed the features for one platform knows it best and can implement it on all platforms better than anyone else.

There was an article some time ago that went into more detail about this.

Ah, I'll look around for that. I don't agree with that methodology but I'm not a successful software/hardware company so who am I to argue? ;)

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I thought the opposite. i got very good battery life on beta 4, never had an app crash, and the whole system was very snappy and responsive. only issue i ever had was Instagram feeds not loading, and could be fixed by reopening the app.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It doesn't really matter until iOS 8 is released to the public. By then the beta could be stable as all heck. Actually, my phone has been stable besides a couple springboard crashes and a few glitch here and there but that's expected.

My stuff too. Although I am using a clean system set up just for testing and not a daily driver full of potentially corrupted settings etc, apps that might have compatibility issues. Those things can be part of the issue.

----------

Oh really? Metal is in Cydia? How do I find that because I would love to check that out. Oh and healthkit, where do I find that in Cydia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.