Apple Movies Could Premiere in Cinemas Weeks Before Being Released on Apple TV+

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to make an impact in Hollywood by premiering feature-length movies to theaters before releasing them on its upcoming Apple TV+ streaming service.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple has "made overtures to cinema chains and consulted with an entertainment executive" as it considers following a traditional theatrical release plan.

If Apple follows through with the plan of observing a significant period of theatrical exclusivity, it would be adopting a longstanding business model in the commercial cinema industry that's also a proven route to awards eligibility, since film awards typically require a theatrical run for their candidates.

Theater chains want to attract audiences for as long as possible before they have the option to stream movies at home, with some requiring a 90-day period of exclusivity before movies go to home streaming services.

Netflix often releases its films in theaters before streaming them. However, adopting the plan could be perceived as risky for a new venture like Apple TV+, as Apple will likely want to use new content to attract and retain subscribers to its $4.99 per month streaming platform, due to arrive on iOS, Mac, and Apple TV in November.

Article Link: Apple Movies Could Premiere in Cinemas Weeks Before Being Released on Apple TV+

Last edited:

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
I like going to the movie, but mostly just because of my kids. However with the cost of going to the movie as a family I think I’d rather just wait a few weeks till the movie came out on Apple TV+. The money I save would pay for an entire year of the service.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
This is something that both Amazon Prime and Netflix does regularly: for instance, I am going to see The Irishman (the Netflix Scorsese/DeNiro movie) today at the NY Film Festival.

In other words, not sure how this is news - for one thing, to be eligible for Oscar nominations, a movie *has to* first play in theaters.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
I like going to the movie, but mostly just because of my kids. However with the cost of going to the movie as a family I think I’d rather just wait a few weeks till the movie came out on Apple TV+. The money I save would pay for an entire year of the service.
This.
I used to work at one of those done-in theaters and I was always amazed the money people threw at those places.

I mean good for me cuz I made bank as a server. But I’m sure it’s hard as a parent to feel pressured to take your kid to see a movie and spend $100 or more for a family of four.

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
I would choose to wait and pay the $4.99 for streaming than to pay what theater charges. I prefer to watch a movie in my home instead of going to a theater.
I guess you never go to the theater then? Since this is true for every movie.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I rarely go to the movies but I like the option for "big movies" such as Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. It is nice to get away from distractions and interruptions for 2 hours and just concentrate on the big screen. However this is definitely the exception instead of the rule. The vast majority of movies I watch are through Apple TV / Netflix.

Regarding Apple debuting their movies at the theater, I think it makes sense for them to do so since it will make their content eligible for Oscars.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Does Apple have an actual movies in production? All I have seen them promote is series so far. Unless I am missing something.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

Snapperjw

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
This is something that both Amazon Prime and Netflix does regularly: for instance, I am going to see The Irishman (the Netflix Scorsese/DeNiro movie) today at the NY Film Festival.

In other words, not sure how this is news - for one thing, to be eligible for Oscar nominations, a movie *has to* first play in theaters.
Isn’t Apple getting a little carried away if they think their content is going to be Oscar worthy?

Reactions: PC_tech

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
However, adopting the plan could be perceived as risky for a new venture like Apple TV+
Risky? Really?

Apple doesn't have nearly enough content to justify their monthly fee for most people. That's why it's free with any HW purchase. The main reason it is priced at $60/year is so they can claim that is the value you are getting for free in marketing materials.

Those that are willing to pay for this, aren't going to care about a short delay in movies that is the norm for such content.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
This.
I used to work at one of those done-in theaters and I was always amazed the money people threw at those places.

I mean good for me cuz I made bank as a server. But I’m sure it’s hard as a parent to feel pressured to take your kid to see a movie and spend $100 or more for a family of four.
$100 for a fun family outing isn’t that expensive. The Dine-in theaters really isn’t about the movie. It’s more about hanging out together.

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
Wonder if they're still trying to make Bad Robot exclusive - since that was one of JJ's complaints for why he wouldn't sign.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
I wish Apple would set up a separate company for this stuff.
Apple studios or whatever.

Apple doesn’t make music for their streaming service.
So why do they need to make movies and TV shows for Apple TV+?

I think it is an unnecessary distraction from their core business.
Better effort would be to license the best shows from ever other provider and package that together as 1 offering.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Better effort would be to license the best shows from ever other provider and package that together as 1 offering.
Other Providers: We're keeping a tight grip on our best stuff so people HAVE to subscribe to us.
Apple: Can we licence your best stuff so people don't have to subscribe to you?
Other Providers: Okey-dokey.

I don't see that happening for some reason.

agffth

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2014
I wish Apple would set up a separate company for this stuff.

Apple doesn’t make music for their streaming service.
So why do they need to make movies and TV shows for Apple TV+?

I think it is an unnecessary distraction from their core business.
You should write a letter to Tim Cook.

ctdonath

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
That's a big negative. I’m not going to theaters. I’ll buy some movies full price outright if it’s available streaming on day of release. Make me wait much beyond that, and I’ll just wait for a deal.

surprising to see Apple set aside their ecosystem to satisfy old establishment. If anything this is their chance to break the old “theaters first” system.

IG88

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2016
wish Apple would set up a separate company for this stuff.
Then they wouldn't be able to play Hide the Salami with all of the $$$ they've sunk into it.

Recall that once Google became Alphabet and thus Google became its own separate entity, Alphabet started cutting off alot of dead weight that had previously all been lumped in under Google's gigantic umbrella of $$$$.

Last edited:

RollTide1017

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL

No, this is not what Netflix does most of the time. Read the article, Apple is considering the traditional 90 day theatrical run. Let's look at "The Irishman" from Netflix:

From Wikipedia said:
The Irishman will have its world premiere at the 57th New York Film Festival on September 27, 2019.[45] It is scheduled to receive a limited theatrical release on November 1, 2019, followed by digital streaming on November 27, 2019 by Netflix.[46]

The film will not play at the theaters owned by AMC, Cinemark, Regal or Cineplex, because the "four week progression to SVOD remains unacceptable to those chains".[46] It was previously reported in February 2019 that Netflix would possibly give the film a wide theatrical release, at the request of Scorsese.[47] The heads of several theater chains, including AMC's Adam Aron, who refused to play Roma the previous November, said they would only be open to playing The Irishman if Netflix "respects the decades old theatrical window, that suggests that movies come to theaters first for a couple of months, and then go to the home".
I applaud Netflix for sticking to their guns on this, as a subscriber I appreciate it because I don't want a long delay for Netflix content to appear on the service. IMO, it's time that theaters wake up and adjust to the changing landscape of the home video / film industry.

I'm sorry but, Apple has very little content right now and needs to attract people to the service. A 3 month exclusive theatrical run will hurt that, why do I want to pay Apple when they are gong to delay releasing stuff on their own service for 3 months. I mean, I'm an AMC A-List subscriber so, I'll just watch Apple's stuff in theaters and not subscribe to their service.

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
That's a big negative. I’m not going to theaters. I’ll buy some movies full price outright if it’s available streaming on day of release. Make me wait much beyond that, and I’ll just wait for a deal.

surprising to see Apple set aside their ecosystem to satisfy old establishment. If anything this is their chance to break the old “theaters first” system.
I think the only thing Apple would care about here is qualifying their movies for awards consideration and attracting the best talent.

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
Then they wouldn't be able to play Hide the Salami with all of the $$$ they've sunk into it.

Recall that once Google became Alphabet and thus Google became its own separate entity, Google started cutting off alot of dead weight that had all been lumped in under Google's umbrella of $$$$.
There’s definitely a lot of creative accounting going on at Apple these days. Services ftw.