Apple moving from 30-pin to Micro USB?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Xil3, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Xil3 macrumors regular

I was just thinking - if they do move over to micro-usb, that will make most of the accessories useless (for the ipod, iphone and ipad), which means we have to dish out more money.

Don't get me wrong though - I think this move is great, but it will affect our wallets.

What are your thoughts on this?

And if you haven't heard about the move to micro-usb, check out this article:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=986403

2. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

As they've recently done this I doubt it.

I can't ever see them dropping the 30 pin connector as it's pretty much a universal and well supported part of the iPod/iPhone/iPad system. One of the many positive aspects to the platform IMO.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's going to be forced in the EU, at least for the phones, so yeah, I think we are going to slowly see the 30-pin dock connector disappear.

4. Xil3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but even if they release any new ipod/iphone/ipad with the new micro-usb port, there will still be millions of their old devices in circulation, so they'll still be making money off of the 30-pin - hence why they just released that.

And I understand your point, but I don't think it's going to be their choice - they either adopt these changes required by the EU or they won't be able to sell in the EU. Aside from that though, they have already agreed to do it, and this should trickle down to the US as well.

Here's a clip from a news article at 'Routers':

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

This post from NightFox from the discussion linked in the first post clears a few points up. The EU legislation is for the charger, not the phone. Apple don't need to add Micro USB to the iPhone to comply with the new rules.

6. Xil3 thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough - but they did agree to adopt the Micro-USB connector standard for smartphone chargers in the European Union, which means that they will be moving (from my understanding) from the 30-pin to Micro-USB eventually.

There were also rumors floating around about the new iPad 2nd Gen using Micro-USB vs 30-pin, but who knows...

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

No they won't, as seen in the post above yours you don't need to have an Micro-USB connector in order to comply with the EU regulations. The 30-pin most likely is here to stay.

They mad add an Micro-USB to the iPad for other reasons but they don't need to.

8. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

One standard connector for *charging* is great. We can pick up any USB mini cable and charge any of our devices.. rather than trying to hunt for the right cable.

9. Xil3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's just a matter of opinion, rather than fact.

Non of us know what Apple will do next - they may, or may not implement micro-usb.

Doesn't really matter what the 'above' post said.

10. BigQid macrumors regular

I hope they do micro usb because its a smaller opening thus making a smaller area for water to get into. I've water damaged 2 iphones. The second time it was with barbecue sauce. It covered half the opening, the phone went nuts. I'm on my third iphone now. What they need to do is make this phones at least somewhat water tight.

11. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

I think Apple will ship a little connector that converts from 30pin to micro-usb for charging purposes.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Leave it to Apple to over-complicate things, and sell it as a "simplicity" feature :cool:

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I've always wondered what the point of the 30-pin connector is. What can it do that a 5-pin usb cant? Proprietary (and consequently overpriced) cables are one of my most despised things.

14. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

USB power, USB data, line level audio, component video out, composite video out, audio in and remote controller data as well as power out at the came time as many of these other options. For example. Using the appropriate cables/docks/ stands you can output audio and video whilst charging and issuing remote commands to the device. So it's not just a proprietary USB connector. It dose so much more.