Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So, normally these threads are geared towards iOS and OS X releases, but considering Apple Music is likely the biggest single non OS update is some time, I thought we would create a wiki post to add new features.

Features:

Mac
*Loved tracks can be made into a smart playlist.

iOS

*Searching for an Apple Radio DJ leads to a playlist of their selected tracks by day
*Apple Music can be saved in settings under Music.
*Parental Controls allow you to disable Connect and Follow features.
*New font, Sharp Sans No. 2

Android (Coming in October)

Issues:
*iTunes Radio is kind of bolted on. The stars and hearts don't appear to interact.
*User appears to have to kill Music App to update playlists from Mac
*There doesn't appear to be a connection between hearts on iOS and hearts on Mac.
*Smart playlists only appear to populate if you add music to library.
*Still unclear whether or not iTunes Match and Apple Music are ACTUALLY complementary.
*Family Plan utilization is unclear (Likely to be worked out within the next three months, as for the moment everyone is using free Apple Music)

Last edited:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Noticed that if I create a radio station on iTunes 12.2 (Mac) that I have to kill the music app on my iPhone before I see it. I don't see a way to sync from within the app.

eish2306

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
can you use  music to legitimise you iTunes during the free trial, and then like with match, as long as you have a local copy, keep the legitimised tracks (but I'm guessing not be able to download them from apple store after the free trial period)?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Not sure how you are reading that Apple Music replaces iTunes Match. At the link you provide, it addresses that question and says that they are 'separate but complementary'.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
For those so inclined such as myself:

Under iTunes "Parental" preferences its possible to disable "Connect", completely removing the "Connect" tab and stops the "Follow" button from appearing everywhere

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not sure how you are reading that Apple Music replaces iTunes Match. At the link you provide, it addresses that question and says that they are 'separate but complementary'.
Someone in a previous thread included a quote. I tried to copy it but apparently failed. It's a wiki thread, so feel free to remove it.

patch5674

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
To reignite this thread, does anyone know if Apple made back end changes to Apple music in the recently announced update. Most importantly their search algorithm. As it stands it is pretty shoddy. For example I can type in "Bruce Live New York" and it will give me not a single result, not even get close despite me having Bruce Springsteen Live in New York in my library and I can type in "2 Chainz" and it will give me certain 2 Chainz albums but not all, but will not give me 2 Chainz as an artist. These are just 2 examples off the top of my head but plenty more happen day to day.

In a WWDC a few years ago Steve Jobs said something like "If you love music, you love Apple, we love music here at Apple" or something to that effect, and I am still pretty upset that they got this one so so wrong, and have let iTunes fall into the state of disrepair that it currently is in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.